How much to fix a blown head gasket?

Soldato
My brother was driving home from work this morning after the night shift and his head gasket blew. We haven't seen a mechanic yet because it's a saturday so does anyone have any idea how much this will cost to repair? The car is a 1999 Hyundai Atoz+ 1.0ltr and has done 65k miles. This is the first problem he's ever had with it.

Caporegime
depends really, providing its just a change and a skim then your prolly looking at £300 or so (as mentioned, dealers will rape you for 500 or more no doubt!).
If it needs a new head then your looking at silly prices unless you know of a spare head lying around :/

how do i know this?
wifes car is in having hers done (inc 2nd hand head) :/

Soldato
Puntos are a bit notorious for this! Morba, has your wife's rear silencer fallen off yet?

I paid £260 with all new belts and bolts, but that was from a friend of a friend and a huge favour. I'd say most places will probably quote you about £400.

Soldato
OP
My brother's just gotten out of bed after the nightshift and said that he was on the motorway doing about 60 and the guy behind him started to flash his lights so he pulled in to the left lane to take the exit home and all he could see was blue smoke everywhere. There was no change in the engine or any unusual sounds. Also no lights came on on the dashboard. Luckily the exit of the motorway takes you to the bottom of our street so he only had a few hundred yards to go with the car like this. When he stopped he checked the dip stick and it had this yellowish gunk on it. Is this what usually happens when the head gasket blows? Dad thinks that's what happened but he doesn't know too much about the mechanics of cars. If it's not the head gasket what else would cause the blue smoke?

Caporegime
sara said:
Puntos are a bit notorious for this! Morba, has your wife's rear silencer fallen off yet?

I paid £260 with all new belts and bolts, but that was from a friend of a friend and a huge favour. I'd say most places will probably quote you about £400.

not in our ownership, however it did have a new exhaust a few months before she bought it :p

Back
Top Bottom