How much to pay a tiler?

Tea Drinker
Don
If he looked at the job before quoting then I'd tell him to go fish however what you don't want is him looking to cut corners now he thinks he's on a loss.

What often happens is people blindly carry on when the best course of action is to stop. Have you though about stopping and having the floor levelled properly rather than using so much extra adhesive?

Tea Drinker
Don
You agree by commencing the Works that you fully accept the condition in which a unit and/or, as applicable, the site of the Works is handed over. No additional costs will be allowed as a result of your failure to notify us in writing of any areas where you are not satisfied with the condition of a unit.

Used in many an argument :)

Soldato
OP
Maybe suggest you'll have someone else come in and level the floor then he can come back?

Is is a options I have been thinking about.

If he looked at the job before quoting then I'd tell him to go fish however what you don't want is him looking to cut corners now he thinks he's on a loss.

This is my worry that he will not do a quality job after I say I will not pay him more.

I am going to look into levelling the floors but its not going to be east has they are huge open areas (living room is 90m2)

Soldato
It's a big job, did you go for a one man band? I could recomend some commercial / sub contract tilers if you need.

I would have agreed with this.

800 sq m's is a massive job and I think you would have got a better quote/deal etc from a commercial company who would have been quicker/better and given a solid price for the job.

Anyway - personally I would ask him why he's wanting 25% increase on the quoted price. The deal was already around £12k just in labour costs so why another £4k for materials because essentially the size of the job hasn't changed, he just wants more money for "more adhesive"

Soldato
I wouldn't hire a major firm, often the fact someone is going off to work from someone else is indicative of their quality not being enough to sustain their own business.

Associate
Yeh, why is he asking for a per-hour increase just for more adhesive?

Thinking about it, I'd either tell him to leave site or offer to pay for the extra adhesive and no more.

Tiling is really one of those things where doing your research pays off. I found the guys doing my Mum's kitchen trying to tile on top of floorboards that flexed all over the place....

Soldato
OP
I am supplying all materials so the extra adhesive comes out of my own pocket.

I just had a look today and he has done around 215m2 excluding grouting in 9 days. I will post an update tomorrow after I talk to him.

Associate
I would tell him that he quoted you at the start of the job and the price was agreed at the start of the job, he even started working before he knew it would need more materials which he isnt even supplying. Its taking him longer to do each square ft which means he isnt earning as much as he thought he would but that is not really your problem since he had already started the job.

I am not to sure if I went to my boss and said `This job is taking a bit longer than I thought it would could you pay me more money` I am pretty sure what the answer would be.

Soldato
trouble is these days,most builders you get in to do jobs don't know there arse from there elbows, hence why I try to do everything myself,

Depends if you get for a reputable professional or a jack of all trades.

Thing about tradesmen is, you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

Soldato
If your supplying all the stuff then where's his problem?

If he underestimated the labour time, that's his fault. Too many people price jobs too low to try and get it, and then start the job realising they should have never priced it that low!

Personally tell him that if the job is done and complete as per original agreement and finished to a high standard you may consider paying a little extra on top of the agreed price (tcall it a tip) but otherwise tough would be my stance.

25% of the job done in 9 days. - so in theory he's earned around £3k for 9 days work so far (£15 per square m, and 800m squared to do in total)

Soldato
OP
so we had a little chat today and his view is that I am getting a free service by getting him to level the floors which I would have to pay someone else to do. He does have a point but my view is that I am paying him enough per day as it is.

Also he accidentally hit the bottom of one of my kitchen units and has damaged the wood, that unit alone cost over £7k so I am a little upset about that.

Soldato
so we had a little chat today and his view is that I am getting a free service by getting him to level the floors which I would have to pay someone else to do. He does have a point but my view is that I am paying him enough per day as it is.

Also he accidentally hit the bottom of one of my kitchen units and has damaged the wood, that unit alone cost over £7k so I am a little upset about that.

He's having a laugh if he thinks he's doing you a favour levelling the floors, add up what extras he wants to charge you and then get a quote for levelling 600m2 of floor work out how much he's actually trying to rip you off by.

I'd be getting back on the tiling forum and see what people on there think..

Man of Honour

Then surely if it's so bad he thinks he's doing you a whole other service it should have been glaringly obvious at least one of the three times he came round to have a look before you agreed on the work and rate.

Soldato
Just be aware that if he ends up leaving the job, you have already paid him full price for the work he has done without being grouted.

It's an old trick.

That said I still believe you should offer him a grand for the leveling that needs doing, by meeting him half way at 2.50 per meter for the remaining 200m2 of floor that needs leveling.

It does need doing and it will cost you regardless.

Back
Top Bottom