How much to pay a tiler?

Soldato
I thought levelling a floor was a standard part of a tiler's job? This monkey you've hired doesn't seem to think so and didn't tell you it needs levelling before he started. Any tller worth his salt wants his work to look good, so checking floor level should have been his first priority.

Soldato
OP
small update

He asked for an extra £440, I agreed to pay but said I was not too happy about it so he has quit lol.

I am going to find someone new tomorrow.

Soldato
OP
BAHH more drama with the tiler.

So I agreed to pay him more in the end, he asked for £360 for the extra work he had already done and then an extra £175 to apply self levelling compound (I bought the compound on top) which again I agreed to.

so he carried on tiling until yesterday when he ran out or adhesive. One thing led to another and we decided its better that he just quits the job at the end of the day.

I got this from him today
Kitchen & scullery 47.5
Lounge inc raised area 91.8
Rear bedroom off lounge part completed 14.28
Hallway 42
Small bedroom off of hall 35
Toilet 3.23
Bedroom with large walkin storage 74
Bedroom opposite lift 74.5
Landing down stairs 7
Total 389.31 square metres @ £15
£5,839.65
+ £360 for levelling of tiles
+ £175 for self levelling floors in lounge and bedrooms
Total £6,374.65
Already paid £4,750.00 (£3,000, £1750)
To pay £1,624.65

I have filled in the little holes as best I could allowing for the fading light and stuff covering the floors. Keep the £20 owed me by Lee of Kerokoll that he charged for the sponges for any other holes that you might find and have to get the labourer to sort out.
As for lipped and bowed tiles, if there are any they are there because the tiles you bought were seconds, and as such I cant be responsible for them, I just have to lay what I am given. If you want to go back to the company and complain that they sold you sub quality goods I will gladly act as an expert for you. I had previously taken photos of the pallets that had “rejects” written on them and have also recorded several small video clips showing the bow in some laid tiles and twists to edges of others where I used a straight edge to emphasize the defects. I have also kept 2 random tiles (they have chips on them so are no good anyway) that have the defects if you require these for later.

I have not been to site to check out the work but I am really worried that this is now being brought up as a way our to cover badly laid tiles.

I am going to contact the manufactures on monday to see what they have to say but they have assured me that the tiles are not seconds.

Soldato
OP
if he has evidence that the tiles are seconds then i see no reason to question him. why has he quit this time?

why would he quit because he ran out of adhesive!!

The adhesive was not delivered on time (may fault really) so he said he would call it quits after he finished the floor (in 4 or 5 days). It was the 3rd time he said he was going to quit so I said its probably better if you just stop now and go home at the end of the day.

We have the same tiles in London and have now issues with them. I am just worried that he is brining this up now. Lets see when I get back next week.

Soldato
If 'some' of the tiles were poor quality he should have put them to one side and used the good ones.

He calls himself a 'professional', why would a professional be happy to lay a poor tile? And what are his qualifications to call himself professional? A professional would have levelled the floor in the first place..

Has he done any grouting?

Soldato
OP
Yes its all grouted.

I will go and take a look on tuesday when I get back home.

funny I just took a look at his website
. Allow me offer you a free no obligation quote, not estimate, for your upcoming project .

oh well live and learn. I have a new tiler lined up for after christmas.

wnb

wnb

Soldato
I'm not a tiler but I have paid a few. My last house we had the kitchen tiled the tiler whipped out a rather long spirit level and it was then obvious the floor was not level at all.

He used leveling compound before tiling and did not change the quote at all. He did a great job. The only problem being is my wife is a clutz and dropped all sorts breaking six tiles. This house I decided on an oak floor for the kitchen! We have a few dents where she drops bottles and knives and a few chunks taken off the edge of the granite.

Back
Top Bottom