• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How much WILL you pay for a graphics card?

Soldato
gamers are one of main issues atm, no miners are buying as eth through the floor, well near enough, so its only gamers, they are driving prices atm. in a few months we will get the constant moans my card is now worth half its value etc, always been the same, or im maxing out my vram after a yr, its now quite far into current gen, that next gen is wht about a yr away, seems more prudant for me to wait, my 229 xbox series s is doing fine while pc is mining with my vega, profits have tanked but build up some nice eth for when it rises back up in a yr or 2:D

Associate
but when newer games are nearly hitting 10gb vram whats the point? seems a short term outlook
Why do people come out with this stuff, yes if you want to play at 4k with all the bells and whistles but I've had a 1080ti and now a 3080 and no games I play at the res or quality I need even come close to needing it.

Associate
As someone not in the market for the top end, I tend to sit a tier under the latest and greatest I wouldn't pay over £300 - £350 as I look for the best value to performance ratio.

As that gets you nothing nowadays I'll just wait until it does, I'm resigned to the fact that's likely going to be at least a year away.
if it never happens I'm becoming tempted to pick up a console and just have done with it, at least the kids would be happy as well then as they can have the pc :p

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Why do people come out with this stuff, yes if you want to play at 4k with all the bells and whistles but I've had a 1080ti and now a 3080 and no games I play at the res or quality I need even come close to needing it.
They probably do not understand the difference between allocated vram and what is actually needed.

Associate
gamers are one of main issues atm, no miners are buying as eth through the floor, well near enough, so its only gamers, they are driving prices atm. in a few months we will get the constant moans my card is now worth half its value etc, always been the same, or im maxing out my vram after a yr, its now quite far into current gen, that next gen is wht about a yr away, seems more prudant for me to wait, my 229 xbox series s is doing fine while pc is mining with my vega, profits have tanked but build up some nice eth for when it rises back up in a yr or 2:D

I am not so sure its only gamers, I think that there are people like you who are still mining, its still profitable and, again like you, some are mining in hopes that there is a big increase in crypto prices in the future. As card prices come down miners will be more interested. The scalpers are still buying as well, plenty of cards on auction sites. Although market in Radeon 6700xt seems to be stagnating owing to high prices. Some of the gamers buying are doing so because they have also mined or scalped and are spending their profits on better cards.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
One thing I have noticed is the buyers at large seem to be really driven by the reviews. If a reviews say a 3080 is amazing people will pay through the nose for one, even if they are destroying the very thing that made it so fantastic - the price. It's almost as if they just get the word "amazing" stuck in their head and think that it's worth it at any price. I've noticed that the media are less than enthusiastic about subsequent releases and it shows in the sales. That makes little sense since the media reviewed the cards and compared them to other cards at RRP and not the actual street price and didn't take in to account availability either.

Associate
Paid £464 on my 5700 XT red devil. Not paying any more than £500 for a replacement if I ever bother too. Still running a 1080p 60hz monitor. No need for a better graphics card currently. Next thing I purchase will be a new cpu. probably a 5900x to replace my 2600.

Soldato
Prices are so stupid at the moment and i know its supply and demand. Dont think ive ever paid over £190 for a graphics card but i am happy to spend upto £650

@Gibbo any news on any forum deals for 3000 series

Soldato
More than I'd like, much much more £1399 for a 3090FE which is nuts, in my defence m'lud it was literally the only card available at the time and for a long, long time afterwards and I'm not handing over any money to scalpers.

Recently paid £1400 (MSRP) for a 3090FE. Wanted a 3080ti at MSRP but they were being snapped up too fast so went for the 3090 instead. I'm actually glad I ended up with that though because apparently they run quieter than the 3080ti's and I do like a quiet system.

Oh they certainly run quiet its everything else thats noisy as they struggle to dissipate the heat it chucks into the case!

Caporegime
Prices are so stupid at the moment and i know its supply and demand. Dont think ive ever paid over £190 for a graphics card but i am happy to spend upto £650

@Gibbo any news on any forum deals for 3000 series

just keep a eye out cards are coming to reasonable prices today but sold out fast. near actual real launch prices.

Soldato

The irony for us all. I'm a similar use case.

I'm still not gonna be scalped though, or at least, not excessively lol. If my GPU dies... it might be a different story lol.

EDIT: Prices seem to have stalled coming down the past week.

Soldato
The irony for us all. I'm a similar use case.

I'm still not gonna be scalped though, or at least, not excessively lol. If my GPU dies... it might be a different story lol.

EDIT: Prices seem to have stalled coming down the past week.

Yeah because we got the next bunch of people that are willing to pay hopefully these lot pass by quickly so can get another drop in price

Associate
The card I got is £100 more from the same place i got it, is it only NVIDIA card that are getting cheaper?

Reductions on AMD cards does seem to have stalled, I suspect that current overpriced stuff is hanging around in channel. It is really worth shopping around, I saw one retailer selling a Nvidia 3070ti cheaper than the Asrock 6700xt usually sells for

Last edited:
Soldato
Reductions on AMD cards does seem to have stalled, I suspect that current overpriced stuff is hanging around in channel. It is really worth shopping around, I saw one retailer selling a Nvidia 3070ti cheaper than the Asrock 6700xt usually sells for

From what I see, AMD cards are the ones in stock. 6700XT 6800XT and 6900XT. 6800 non-XT is almost non-existent, and Nvidia cards are rarely in stock except double-priced 1660's.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the pricing with around 1300 dollars in difference of 6900's between them. Some factory liquid cooled cards are the cheapest bizarrely.

Last edited:
Associate
One thing I have noticed is the buyers at large seem to be really driven by the reviews. If a reviews say a 3080 is amazing people will pay through the nose for one, even if they are destroying the very thing that made it so fantastic - the price. It's almost as if they just get the word "amazing" stuck in their head and think that it's worth it at any price. I've noticed that the media are less than enthusiastic about subsequent releases and it shows in the sales. That makes little sense since the media reviewed the cards and compared them to other cards at RRP and not the actual street price and didn't take in to account availability either.
Very true! Literally the only reason the 3080 was so highly thought of was the price/performance, if you end up paying more for it than a 2080TI was selling for then it ends up being just as bad price/performance.

Soldato
literally no incentive to buy amd atm value wise, the extra vram could pay dividens down the line though, plus amd tend to mature better, but i no doubt be ganged up on by the opposing side shortly:p

Permabanned
OP
It really depends for me how fast we return to something around normal prices. I am already starting to think that the 3000 series use to much power and generate too much heat and are getting near to half way through their life. And the more I think things like that (whether they are true or not!) the less I am likely to pay for a card.

Soldato
It really depends for me how fast we return to something around normal prices. I am already starting to think that the 3000 series use to much power and generate too much heat and are getting near to half way through their life. And the more I think things like that (whether they are true or not!) the less I am likely to pay for a card.
The 4000 series is supposed to be on TSMC 5nm so should be quite a bit faster while also being more efficient, not sure if they will be cheaper though.

Back
Top Bottom