• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How much WILL you pay for a graphics card?

Permabanned
OP
The 4000 series is supposed to be on TSMC 5nm so should be quite a bit faster while also being more efficient, not sure if they will be cheaper though.

Yep. I very much suspect that NVIDIA will be pushing the boundaries on price for the 4000. I am just hoping that intel give them a reason not to.

Permabanned
OP
The 4000 series is supposed to be on TSMC 5nm so should be quite a bit faster while also being more efficient, not sure if they will be cheaper though.

Mhmm. It worries me that NVIDIA has realised that stupid gamers will pay any amount for a graphics card.

Soldato
I've always overed around the £200-250 mark, usually AMD (ATI). That doesn't really exist now. I want a 6700XT but no way in hell I'm paying more than MSRP, especially this late in the generation, just don't game enough to justify it

Soldato
The price doesn't matter for me as long as I can mine the difference or more before I sell it.

During these mining cycles its great as it allows me to buy cards I wouldn't normally. Under normal condition I think £300 would be my limit, but last mining cycle I got Vega 56 and 64 and this time round I've had 2080 ti, 6900xt's, 6800, 3070, 3060ti. Its been great fun. Still wouldn't want to risk a 3090 level card though.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Honestly that doesn't seem that bad compared to what could happen, at least for the 4080......4060 at £450 would be a joke though, we need more lower end cards for reasonable prices!

Interesting you say that. I can really see a new market opening up. There are a lot of people who simply will not pay hyped up prices no matter what and will buy lower end cards ( that don't really exist ).

Associate
I managed to snag 2 gigabyte 3070s (1 gaming oc, 1 aorus master) for mine and my girl's builds not long after launch. Paid 650 each.

Considering the prices now I'm glad I got them back then, I wouldn't pay more than what I did.

Looking to build my son his first pc soon. If prices don't come down further before his birthday, he'll have to make do with a 1050ti until atleast Christmas :D

Soldato
doesnt matter if its a grand for cheapest one, even with no mining load of gamers with be frothing at the mouth with either just wanting, large percentage FOMO and the just want to be part of the crowd, begging the 3 of them(probs 3 by then) to take their money for those over inflated priced gpu's, while rest of us sane mortals will lie back laugh and point and wait for the price crash and pick them up for normal prices:D

Associate
Interesting you say that. I can really see a new market opening up. There are a lot of people who simply will not pay hyped up prices no matter what and will buy lower end cards ( that don't really exist ).
Yeah I think if the lower end market is neglected many will simply migrate to consoles. People are however reliably buying cards at ridiculous prices which signals to the gpu makers that they can get away with inflating prices, sad times.

Associate
My Vega56 sold for more than I paid for it. Some of the prices people are paying for 2nd hand cards is silly IMO but it makes the price of upgrading even at these prices reasonable. Aorus 3060 elite cost £480 - £370 for Vega 56 = £110 cost to change, not only do I now have a better performing card but peace of mind of a 4 year warranty

Permabanned
OP
I have to say that at the moment I am very tempted to get a 3070ti. These seem to be available at good prices which is kinda crazy. Although in theory they are not as good value as a 3080, at the moment they are available at prices much closer to RRP than the 3080, so in practice they are really good value for money when compared to the 3080. I am a little reserved though because they are still very expensive given that we are half way now to the release of the 4000 series.

Associate
I have to say that at the moment I am very tempted to get a 3070ti. These seem to be available at good prices which is kinda crazy. Although in theory they are not as good value as a 3080, at the moment they are available at prices much closer to RRP than the 3080, so in practice they are really good value for money when compared to the 3080. I am a little reserved though because they are still very expensive given that we are half way now to the release of the 4000 series.
I think the question is do you need a new card right now? Are you unable to play games at reasonable settings and framerates? If you can live with the current settings then I would definitely say wait. Hopefully the prices will come down, better availablity and we'll have new cards next year that all the rumours point to being absolute beasts

GAC

GAC

Soldato
well i was prepared to drop £500 this time around on a 3080 once the prices dropped (yeah lol if only i knew) come christmas/black friday this year. but now il probably wait for the next round of gpu's so again £500 which should at least bag me 3080 or better performance.

Associate
well i was prepared to drop £500 this time around on a 3080 once the prices dropped (yeah lol if only i knew) come christmas/black friday this year. but now il probably wait for the next round of gpu's so again £500 which should at least bag me 3080 or better performance.
Let's hope the next gen GPUs don't get another big price hike.....otherwise you should be good at >3080 performance for £500. If the 4070 is around that price it should be well over 3080!

GAC

GAC

Soldato
Let's hope the next gen GPUs don't get another big price hike.....otherwise you should be good at >3080 performance for £500. If the 4070 is around that price it should be well over 3080!

"should" being the word, will all come down to tap out numbers and outside factors like covid and crypto. hopefully come next year things will be less silly.

Back
Top Bottom