• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How much WILL you pay for a graphics card?

Soldato
i can't wait to see what prices are set at for the next gen now everyone has shown just how much they are willing to spend

intel might keep them honest by releasing a cheap midrange card that most of the masses could buy.

would be a great way for them to get some market share

Soldato
intel might keep them honest by releasing a cheap midrange card that most of the masses could buy.

would be a great way for them to get some market share
Its a good opportunity for Intel as the < £300 market is the biggest part but they need high volume and good performance and drivers to make a dent.

Soldato

This is nothing more than a troll account below. Nvidia owns the 3dfx brand names and patents.

https://twitter.com/3dfxofficial

https://www.cnet.com/news/nvidia-buys-out-3dfx-graphics-chip-business/

Nvidia buys out 3dfx graphics chip business
The graphics chipmaker buys out one-time rival 3dfx Interactive, another landmark in the consolidation of the graphics hardware industry.
Michael Kanellos
April 11, 2002 1:03 a.m. PT

Graphics chipmaker Nvidia bought out one-time rival 3dfx Interactive on Friday, another landmark in the consolidation of the graphics hardware industry.
Under the terms of the agreement, Nvidia will give 3dfx $70 million in cash and 1 million shares of common stock for the patents, brand names, and current inventory relating to 3dfx's graphics chip business. In addition, a patent infringement suit between the two companies will be dismissed when the transaction is closed. Nvidia will not acquire 3dfx's graphics board business.

Nvidia's purchase of 3dfx is the latest in a series of convulsions in the extremely competitive and often unprofitable graphics hardware business.

Five years ago, more than 20 companies designed graphics chips for PCs and workstations. Because of low margins and short product life cycles, only a handful remain.

A spate of acquisitions took place in March and April 2000. Ironically, through this acquisition, Nvidia acquired the assets of Gigapixel. Nvidia beat out Gigapixel in a contract to supply graphics chips for Microsoft's Xbox earlier this year. Subsequently, Gigapixel sold out to 3dfx.

3dfx was a favorite company of gamers in the mid-1990s, but the company then delayed a few products and received tepid reviews for others, crimping sales. In recent years, the company changed CEOs and began laying off employees.

"I'm sad that 3dfx is exiting the business," said MicroDesign Resources analyst Peter Glaskowsky. "3dfx did a lot of good work over the years, but unfortunately they didn't keep up with the good work Nvidia was doing."

Nvidia has become the company to beat in graphics over the past few years, fueled by strong sales and premier design wins. In November, the Santa Clara, Calif.-based company passed ATI Technologies to become the top manufacturer of graphics chips, according to Mercury Research. Production and performance are the company's hallmarks.

"Even if you go back two or three years ago, Nvidia was producing chips at a faster rate than ATI," Glaskowsky said. "They were producing more chips and improving them at a faster rate."

"There is a lot of expertise in the graphics business there," said Sanford Russell, senior product director of partner programs at Nvidia. "They also have a strong brand name in the retail space." Russell, however, added that it has not been determined whether Nvidia will continue to maintain any of 3dfx's brands for the indefinite future.

Soldato
I have needed a new graphics card for a while now, but refuse point blank to pay inflated prices. Now prices are starting to fall I guess I seriously have to start thinking about how much I will pay rather than how much I won't pay!
Before all this started I was willing to pay £700 for a card but after I have spent nearly a year thinking about other stuff to spend money on it's kinda made me think that graphics cards really are over-priced even at RRP. Especially when you think that I used to buy one every two years. is PC gaming really worth £350 a year on hardware? I guess what I am saying is that I am really not sure any more whether I am even prepared to pay what I was going to pay a year ago.

I paid £650 for my 3080, and that's probably the most I would be prepared to pay. I'll happily keep this until 5xxx series launches and I'll expect double 3080 performance for my next £650 outlay at that point.

Soldato
I think current pricing will force many PC gamers onto consoles. i personally will not spend £400+ on a 4th-tier graphics card, when a PS5 or Series X offer similar graphical performance and a longer-lifespan for the same money.

Associate
I bit the bullet and bought the zotac 3060 ti at £460. Sold my 1080ti for £500. I wanted a 3080 but haven't been able to get one a reasonable price. I will probably sell the 3060ti when next gen comes around. Even if I lose £200 on selling it this time next year its only a cost of £16.50 per month which is like what 50p a day...

Permabanned
Ir similar graphical performance and a longer-lifespan for the same money.
thats not true tho is it ? my vega 64 is 3-4 yrs old ..still doing well ..and next yr it will go in the wifes system for another 3-4 yrs. and there's no way it's similar graphical performance to a pc there's a big difference to apu and a full blown gpu .
now if you said game coding an ps/xbox because thats where they do there magik

Associate
Apparently me and my wife found the answer for 2021: 0.
Instead, with the money it would have taken to replace both our gaming PCs we will get a Citroen Ami.

Soldato
Man £500 and below for a top of the range graphics card seems like a sweet distant memory. Watched prices slowly rise but what can you do? People with disposable income have accepted the prices and even encouraged it by buying.
Enthusiast pc building is becoming more and more of an elitist sub culture now.

I guess I'll stick to being a "mid range" gamer because I can't justify the cost of spending so much, do I need a pc capable of playing at 4k when I have never really experienced it? I'm still on 1080p and looking at the prices for a brand new full setup to accommodate 4k just seems nuts. My next jump will be 1440p I think, though by the time I can afford it I think 4k may even drop to mid range affordability.

edit: I remember considering upgrading my 980Ti when the 1080Ti came out, the marginal increase for the outlay wasn't worth it for me. Then the 2080 came out and I felt a little itch but again, the fps increase didn't seem great for the cost. Now the 3080 is around I would have considered it but now I need to upgrade everything on my PC.
If I went through the process of upgrading everything each generation of hardware from cpus to gpus then I could probably put a deposit down on a house. The performance increase just does not seem worth the cost. The current selection of games available just aren't doing it for me either.

Before the price gouging I could keep up with each new cpu/gpu release, from an enthusiast perspective I loved it. You could go on the forums and there would be many people in the same boat having genuine discussions about the hardware. Now when I look it seems dead, it's just the same few people arguing over what brand is better rather than people posting their tweaks and records or discussing how to squeeze performance out of the hardware.

Last edited:
Associate
Currently running a 2070S here and not been willing to pay over the odds for a new GPU.

I can get a gaming laptop with 3yr onsite warranty with a 3060 for the same price as a 3080. It's a no brainer really.

PC gaming is almost dead.

Back
Top Bottom