How much you have invested on your home renovation?

Associate
I am looking to get reviews about people, how much they have spend to their homes? I am going to start renovating my 2 floor old house this month but havent decide the budget for this yet.

Please share your experiences & your investment in the comments?

Associate
Hi I will try and break down what i have spent in the last 3 years.
2 Bedroom house

Front room - £1,544

Bathroom - £2,500

Dinning room - £1,178

Roof - £7,000

Total £12,222

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Around £100k

500sq ft extension, new bathrooms, new kitchen, detached garage converted to home office/home cinema rooms, new boiler/water systems, new electrical systems, moved the driveway configuration, removed an additional detached garage, redecorated all round, new drainage system to sewer.

Soldato
Probably about £25k, that covered

New windows/doors throughout.
Gutting the bathroom
Knocking the wall between the kitchen and back room
Fitting a new kitchen and boiler.
Converting an old coal shed into a utility and dooring through from the kitchen.

That doesn't really include general things like new flooring, decorating etc.

Associate
About £50k so far this decade, that was for a single storey 30sqm extension, new bathroom & kitchen, internal and external doors and complete redecoration and new flooring in the ground floor.

Associate
About 40K for me. Whole house stripped back, re plastered top to bottom, added bathroom, heating installed, new kitchen, wood floors downstairs,shed, garden work and new doors. Also included is all furniture as it is my first house.

Soldato
Dont know, just keep going not adding anything up. Saving a small fortune doing all the work ourselves though. Completed one room already if i had to guess maybe £800, couple of new tools, few bags of plaster and mortar, some pva, skirting board.
We got a good reduction on the house based on a few things we found.

Needed rewiring, roof repairs and new front and back door we got 15k off for that, cost £1500 for a full rewire, £300 for roof repairs and i think it was £1100 for two doors and one window.

Im doing everything else myself, learning loads of new skills, getting fairly good at plastering. Plumbing and electrics font bother me so i get on with that as well, i would do gas myself but its only the one boiler so may as well get someone in for that. But all the plumbing is me.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
20k over the past 15 Months.

New kitchen (Everything)
New Garage roof
6 Windows.
Carpets/Paint (more paint)
New front door
Tools
Bloody ******* IKEA

Guess another

15k to get it where i want it over the next 15 months.

Last edited:
Soldato
Upwards of £20k so far in 3 years although I'm going to release £60k in equity from my house to fund a new kitchen and loft extension.

Associate
Bought a house in July last year, and we have done about 120k worth of work so far - 30sqm ext, loft conversion with dormer, new family bathroom, loft ensuite, downstairs loo, complete re-wire, new boiler and pipes, new kitchen, new flooring and carpets, decoration. Just about the only thing we didn't need to do were the windows.

Caporegime
On renovation? Less than £500 on paint, wallpaper, brushes and beading (trunking), etc.

However soon going to have another £500 bill on replacing a radiator, motorised valve and pump.

Oh and I spent about £50-£100 on LED bulbs for everything in the house bar the fireplace (will need to change them soon as they are around 40-50W each and there are 4 of them).

£30 on a new PIR LED security light as the old one is knackered.

Few quid on wiring new plug sockets in a couple of rooms. I also have one that doesn't work but tracing to where it's connected looks unlikely so it's going to sit there redundant. It's in an essential spot too so a big pain.

I will at some point be putting a new sink in the en suite simply because I prefer mixer taps to seperate taps. I don't see why anyone would want seperate taps over a mixer. Hot is too hot and cold is too cold. Whereas with a mixer you can have it boiling hot to freezing cold and everything in between. Someone I know has a spare sing and tap so will only be the cost of a new vanity unit plus installation.

In a couple of years time I will tackle converting the garage and possibly extending it slightly as well as opening it up into the dining area. Most likely cost around £10K max.

Then after that would be a loft conversion probably long term plan maybe in 5 years time. cost will be £20-£40K to do it properly however I have no idea where I could put proper stairs without losing a room. I'm thinking where the current hot water tank is but I would then need to make the current main bathroom into an en-suite meaning I wouldn't have a bathroom the third bedroom could use without going into another bedroom.

Associate
Interesting thread...many different situations...many people will be in houses they see themselves in for the long term...many short term gains etc.

Also area also dictates price - when it comes to work carried out.

Weve been in our 3 bed semi for 22months now. Everything i earn in addition to my basic wage i plough into investing in our home. Funny enough were having it valued tomorrow.
Bought it for just under 300k (we live in Herts) and a house with no garage, same house went for £383k recently, so im hoping for a return of £100k in under 2 years.

What have we had done:

£4.5k on a new 3 space driveway - Cant remember the size but 70sqm rings a bell

£5k on new central heating - we had the air flow system before

Last August we had our kitchen extended half way into our garage - Cost overall was close to 20k but included a few walls knocked down to make it open plan, new Wickes Kitchen (Slate), new floor, quartz worktop (right pain), Rangemaster cooker and a few extra's, small walls blocked up and parts of the house made more user friendly.
We found the Polish builders we used to be top quality and at around 30-40% less than the UK builders.

So thats around £30k so far in little under 2 years.

Next on the list, a nice slate patio, man cave/office in the garden, new fencing - Looking at around £4-5k.

But its paying off so far.

Then onto our forever home...

Good luck...i love all the planning...just not the spending

Soldato
Ermmmmm

£1.4k - new Electrics
£1k - new batons, felt, replaced broken tiles on roof
£1k - plastering
The rest I've done myself so little bits here and there. £1k ish I'd guess.

So £4.4k and a long way from where I want it. New bathroom and kitchen are needed.

Soldato
Around £100k

500sq ft extension, new bathrooms, new kitchen, detached garage converted to home office/home cinema rooms, new boiler/water systems, new electrical systems, moved the driveway configuration, removed an additional detached garage, redecorated all round, new drainage system to sewer.
**** me, why didn't you just knock it down and rebuild :p Sounds epic!

Soldato
So far we have invested around £45k in building an extension (shell only so far) and plan to invest a further £30k completing the interior of the extension, plus redecorating the whole interior of the house.

The main reason for the extension was that the planning permission was already granted and we had the money, so went ahead and did it. Plus, the property prices are on the rise significantly here, so buy investing the money into the property, if we were to sell in a few years time I expect to make an additional 50% at least on what I have invested. Also the space will be very handy.

Soldato
Around 600k but it took a large space from a shell to a finished home.

Selling up now 7 years later. Looking at Around 200k loss.

Went from this
P1010501.jpg

To
3D42EE0A-B810-488E-B947-EE89BB83B647_zpsbwjr1mrg.jpg

Soldato
Why are you selling for such a huge loss? Is it the property price in the area, or did you go all out with the refurbishment, knowing that you wouldnt recover the costs if you sold?

PS - nice socks and flip flops combo :p

Back
Top Bottom