1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Nike sees Islam

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by cleanbluesky, 24 Mar 2006.

1. cleanbluesky

Capodecina

2. @if ®afiq

Soldato

3. Borris

Caporegime

And confused you shall remain, young clearblueskywalker.

As @if ®afiq states - It's Nike cashing in.

I wouldn't be surprised if they manufactured wooden footy boots for the Amish, or Thetan-free jockstraps for scientologists.

I'm not sure whay it's news though (unless it's the first time that Nike have ever made a muslim specific item of sportswear), and I've seen muslim women doing sport before (in S'pore).

4. Skunkworks

Soldato

That's what I thought too.

5. robmiller

Capodecina

There is a market for legal product X. Company Y produces product X. Uproar!

6. Sleepy

PermaBanned

Short sighted evil capitalists exploiting downtrodden muslim women and pandering to islamofacists as they violate the human rights of their female dependants and contributing to the growing spread of Islam to the detriment of liberal western democractic societies with their all encompassing multi cultural policies that nurture the growing beast within that will eventually rise up and overthrow the weak governments and install the Caliphate and bring about gods law to all on earth and enshrine the religion of peace as the religion of the multitude beheading all that object and who fail to beat their women in the prescribed manner that learned imans teach to the great unwashed.

7. Jumpingmedic

Wise Guy

No it's an it's untapped market!

8. Psyk

Sgarrista

Don't see anything wrong with it personally. These girls want clothes that fit their religious dress code and offer better flexibility. Nike is providing that and making a bit of cash in the process.

9. wassap

PermaBanned

Damn takes all the fun out of watching volleyball.

Where theres a market theres a product, global economics will see more and more of this, halal mortgages (bloody con and a half there!), i even spotted a well known burger chain in star city, brum, selling halal food.

Money makes the world go round.

10. VIRII

PermaBanned

Very true.
    Out of interest (excuse the pun) but how does a bank make a profit from a halal mortgage?

11. wassap

PermaBanned

Havent really looked into it tbh, but afaik, you are effectively paying a fixed rate for your term, its still interest imo, just given another name.

There was one other scheme i came across, this was basically the bank buying the house for you and you then rent the house from them for the next 35 years untill an agreed sum is paid off, so no different to a mortgage really.

12. VIRII

PermaBanned

Seems to be against the spirit of the "no interest on loans" passages in the Quran to me.
    What do you think?

13. jamoor

Sgarrista

Man, it really annoys me when people seem to get into the habit of not mentioning compeitiors that it spreads pretty much everywhere!!

Whats the burger chain called?

14. wassap

PermaBanned

Lol its not a competitor, i just cant remember the name of the damn place, i know there is a nando`s down there which is also halal.

Virii, as i mentioned in my earlier post its a con, its like the saying out of Romeo and Juliet,
    Its just interest with another name, interest is an unfortunately a necessary evil in todays society, i pay it,i try not to recieve it (probabaly cos im too poor to have any savings!)

15. andi

Capodecina

Don't see the problem. We want T-Shirts, they want jilbabs. Fair enough.

As for integration, what should they be integrating into? And what does what they wear to play sport in their own camp matter?

16. robmiller

Capodecina

I find their lack of British values and disregard for British culture disturbing. Preserve British culture in Kenya (please note I pronounced that "keenya")! Halt this destruction of the British values we so harmlessly instilled in the backwards savages all that time ago! This is despicable!

17. jamoor

Sgarrista

:confused:

18. robmiller

Capodecina

Do you have a problem with British culture? I bet you support Kyrgyzstan in the cricket.

19. cleanbluesky

Capodecina

Sarcasms Sans Frontieres

20. Dolph

Man of Honour

It's capitalism, what more is there to say?

It's not some grand global muslim conspiracy, it's simple supply and demand.

Are people advocating that companies shouldn't move with the market and the times?

And more to the point, what's the "Britishness" of a somali refugee camp in northen Kenya that's being eroded?