How often do you reinstall Windows?

Soldato
I tend to reinstall Windows about once every 6 months. Mainly this is to get rid of all the crust that builds up over time because I tend to install a lot of stuff that I end up not using like I originally thought I would.

This is especially true with development tools as they can easily clutter everything up with loads of files scattered all over the place. This is helped by using virtual machines but I still get the itch to reinstall Windows at various points.

Soldato
Far too often. I really want to get on with windows 10 and I keep trying it every few months but then something annoys me and I end up going back to Windows 8.1. :p

However, I've finally taken the sensible step of setting up a dual boot. When I inevitably get fed up with my current windows 10 install, I can just nuke it and use my windows 8.1 without having to re-install everything.

Soldato
Far too often. I really want to get on with windows 10 and I keep trying it every few months but then something annoys me and I end up going back to Windows 8.1. :p

However, I've finally taken the sensible step of setting up a dual boot. When I inevitably get fed up with my current windows 10 install, I can just nuke it and use my windows 8.1 without having to re-install everything.

My main PC has had Win7,8,8.1, and now 10 (10 since the first day it was released, however the PC has had OS upgrades and no clean installs so it is seven years old and still going strong :) .

Very stable :) . I do have a Linux PC and also Win10 laptop as well, the Linux PC is pretty old as well .

I normally do clean installs on new PC hardware builds and when or if HD goes faulty.

V F

V F

Soldato
I tend to reinstall Windows about once every 6 months. Mainly this is to get rid of all the crust that builds up over time because I tend to install a lot of stuff that I end up not using like I originally thought I would.

This is especially true with development tools as they can easily clutter everything up with loads of files scattered all over the place. This is helped by using virtual machines but I still get the itch to reinstall Windows at various points.

6 months? :eek: Oh you're one of those people that installs everything.

It takes me years before anything fouls up. I remember switching OS installs between new system builds under XP Pro and I think the OS install was 7 years before it required a clean out. It was still performing good. Even 7 and 10 my installs are 3 - 4+ years old.

Just checking Windows 7: Original Install Date: 18/10/2014, 22:47:05

Soldato
OP
6 months? :eek: Oh you're one of those people that installs everything.

Not really. I find I get a bit annoyed by small issues and prefer to start fresh every once in a while. It makes me feel better about things knowing there isn't a whole lot of stuff lying around on my installs from ages ago.

At the moment I have three games installed, Microsoft Office 365, Spotify, Discord, Firefox, Chrome, Twitch desktop app, VMWare Workstation Pro 15, Microsoft OneNote, Netflix, Diarium and Bitwarden installed and that is about it. I will be installing Adobe Creative Cloud at some point though.

Caporegime
was having an issue with a particular game crashing all the time. had installed new drivers, etc and nothing worked.

would keep on crashing. a full re-install and haven't had a crash in about 3 months.

so i do it when it needs to be done. the machine is used for gaming only so steam and the essentials are the only things that go on it. it still after various updates will need a re-install. likely once every 18 months or so.

Soldato
Before Windows 7 every few months, I used to spend a lot of time gaming and benchmarking.

Now I'll only reinstall when a W10 feature update fails.

Back
Top Bottom