How often do you reinstall Windows?

I have reinstalled since I posted in this thread all that time ago. This being due to a new GPU which kept giving me frozen screen. I thought it was corruption so did a clean install. The problem still happened. I have never resolved it but I think it's something to do with the Samsung TV I'm using and 4k. It only freezes if I switch off the TV, leave the PC on, come back and power up the TV and I get a frozen screen. I can connect via TV and still use the PC. If I access device manager and reinstall the driver, the screen starts responding again of if I change the refresh rate from 60 hertz to 30 hertz but this looks nastier.

Associate
I spent a bit of time getting the programs, drivers etc all right for my needs then created an ISO image every so often I format and re-do from the ISO, usually fully up and running within a couple of hours with all my stuff where I want it, just a nifty way to clean out months of crap in one go :)

Soldato
6 to 12 months. Only takes about 2hrs a time as it's just the OS drive. I just like it feeling fresh, although I rarely install anything I don't need these days so it's more of a habit then requirement.

Associate
6 to 12 months. Only takes about 2hrs a time as it's just the OS drive. I just like it feeling fresh, although I rarely install anything I don't need these days so it's more of a habit then requirement.

Again, how? I've *never* been able to reinstall "just the OS drive". Every application on the system needs to be reinstalled so that the registry works.

Can anyone clear this up for me?

Soldato
Again, how? I've *never* been able to reinstall "just the OS drive". Every application on the system needs to be reinstalled so that the registry works.

Can anyone clear this up for me?

Reinstall takes about 30minutes for the OS itself, then the rest of the time is just installing my applications such as Office, Notepad++ etc. My games are on a separate drive but these are also just backed up for saves (if required) and then formatted and reinstalled also but again, this is just a quick job.

My OS and Windows applications are on my C: along with programs such as steam, but I redirect all game installs to the other drive.

Soldato
I normally re install the os when I get a new drive or have os issues.

my pc is a gaming rig so the only thing on the os drive is the os and chrome as I don’t use any other apps.

mall my games are stored on another ssd along with steam so just need to replace create the desktop shortcut.

V F

V F

Soldato
How can this be... command prompt lists, Original Install Date: 28/11/2019, 23:35:47

I have never reinstalled Windows since, 8... system.ini says 22 August 2013 14:25

I've never done a reinstall last year. No way.

According to regedit...
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\Source OS (Updated on xxxxxx).
It's listed for Windows 10 Pro on 8/9/2016 21:58 ReleaseID 1511

Last edited:
Soldato
Only when somethings gone irrepairably wrong/broken. I don't reinstall though just restore a backup of a clean install only takes a couple of minutes. Really don't want to go through the hassle of reinstalling all the damn software from scratch I've got better things to do with my weekends.

V F

V F

Soldato
Only when somethings gone irrepairably wrong/broken. I don't reinstall though just restore a backup of a clean install only takes a couple of minutes. Really don't want to go through the hassle of reinstalling all the damn software from scratch I've got better things to do with my weekends.

Yes. That's the pain in the ass part. I hate reinstalls for that reason. That and huge game downloads.

Soldato
How can this be... command prompt lists, Original Install Date: 28/11/2019, 23:35:47

I have never reinstalled Windows since, 8... system.ini says 22 August 2013 14:25

I've never done a reinstall last year. No way.

According to regedit...
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\Source OS (Updated on xxxxxx).
It's listed for Windows 10 Pro on 8/9/2016 21:58 ReleaseID 1511

1. Don't ever rely on Install date
2. W10 1809 was a major kernel update (the last of its kind for W10) to pave the way for quicker updates in the future and was basically a complete OS re-install. That's what you're seeing there.

Soldato
I used to install every couple of months.
When I went to XP 64 Bit, I found the best O/S around and it was Rock solid.
I kept trying to go to Vista cos it cost me a fair bit of cash that I really could not afford at the time, and it was dire and I went to and from it every few weeks.
Win 7 was spectacular and I stil kept installing but in truth, I didnt really need to.
I have been with Windows 10 and a few days after installing it, I went back to 7 for a while, but I think when I did take the plunge and actually paid for a legit copy, I stuck with it and you know, it was ok.

I dont like the icons or the windows and I definitely miss the Windows Vista / Windows 7 glass type looks, and even Windows blinds does not work 100% to get it to look EXACTLY like that, but I have had to put up with it.

I did a reinstall on my main PC for the first time with Windows 10 about a month ago, and in truth, I could have worked through it, but I decided that its been so long that it could do with a treat, and I used the excuse to give it a new SSD at the same time so I can use the M2 on my Hacckintosh.

As it turned out the HackinTosh mobo could not see it and I wasted my time anyway.

Not very often.

I will normally do a clean install on my main PC every 3 to 4 years when I do a major refit or new build.
It just takes me forever to re-install and re-configure all my apps, tools, scripts etc.
My OS drive is fully imaged once a week, so if I get a drive failure or Windows gets corrupted by something I can rollback with minimal fuss.

Did flatten my games PC this week as I had LTSC (17763) installed, but decided to go back to Pro Retail.
DX12.1 (Ultimate) will only be supported on 2004 (19041) onwards, plus I wanted the Ryzen scheduler fix.
But that was real easy as all my game installs and saves are on there own dedicated SSD drives.
So just re-installed the steam and bethesda clients and I was back in business.

Associate
Current build had Win10 installed about 4 and half years ago - the system still feels pretty responsive, nothings failed so no reason to reinstall.
Prior to this build I'd probably need a reinstall once a year on average.

Soldato
Changed hardware (from Intel to AMD) and always do a fresh install on such major changes such as Motherboard and CPU.

Before that it must have been >3 years.

If you want to find out:

Command prompt
systemInfo | Find /i "Install Date"
Original Install Date: 19/10/2019

M.

Man of Honour
Never, This is the same install I was using back in the day with the AMD 1090T. Never had any issues or slowdown that made me think I better reinstall my OS.

Back
Top Bottom