1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Old Do You Have To Be To Fly Alone?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by axe, 24 Jul 2006.

1. axe

Banned

Hey me and my mate thinking of just getting one of those late deals holidays and jet off to ibiza or something... where both 17 can we fly out without a 18year old :(

2. Christo

Sgarrista

You can at any age I think, I flew alone to Hong Kong when I was 14.:)

3. Sputnik II

Mobster

I think some airlines like the one owned by stellios have an age restriction on flying alone. I could be wrong.

4. Psyk

Sgarrista

Well most 18-30 type holidays actually allow 17 year olds to go if they have parental permission. If you're talking about just a flight I don't think there's any age limit on going alone, but package holidays do usually.

5. axe

Banned

Dam its one of those package holidays where you dont know where your staying until you get to the airport. :( might have to give them a ring and see what they say. Its Just im 18 on september 7th ... and start back at 6th form on the 5th so it will be a bit late by then as summer holidays have passed.

6. Rotty

Don

I think almost all tour companies need parental consent to sell to under 18's , other than that there shouldn't be a problem

7. shimy182

Mobster

i traveled from japan to UK when i was 12, on the way i transfered on amsterdam. then i was accompanied by a air attendance to the right gate as soon i left the aircraft from japan.

she was pretty :)
    (i fly with KLM)

8. cobxx

Gangster

A lot of airlines have someone accompony (sp?) you to make sure you don't fall out the plane or something, but I think anything over 12 is fine

9. BrenOS

Mobster

We've a lot of pilots on these boards.

Hohoho.

10. Aod

Sgarrista

you might need a letter of consent from your parents to get past immigration.

i speak from experience...

11. Scuzi

Man of Honour

You'd be surprised at the amount of them ;)

12. BrenOS

Mobster

I know there's a few, but Crisp7 flew solo to HK at 14! OMGWOWZORINTERNETMEDAL!!1

13. PureAppleJuice

Wise Guy

I flew to New Zealand on my own and i'm 17... Didn't have any trouble at immigration etc. Flown to France on my own when I was 13 also.
    I'd imagine it's different if everything was done with a tour company. Only ever booked flights, not a whole package style thing

14. Scuzi

Man of Honour

That's quite an achievement! My first solo lasted 10 minutes :D

15. Craig321

Capodecina

I think you have to have a air person assigned to your to look after you if you're under a certain age don't you?

16. Alty

Wise Guy

General rule of thumb nowadays is 16 and over to fly single and anyone under to be accompanied by an adult aint it? But you should check with the airline you intend to be using. In the good old days you could pretty much go anywhere and have a stewardess keep an eye on you but not in today's society - airlines simply dont want to be held responsible for children now that we all have a best friend called SUE! (Rather sad really :()

17. momentimori

Hitman

As long as you can sit in a seat, ie above age 2, you can fly alone

18. JunkBot

Gangster

Going 18-30's tomorrow a few mates are still only 17 they just need to take a letter to the place we booked from their parents

19. Fa-

Associate

bwahaha, that made spit milk! (im not drinking milk though :(.. i need to see a doctor about this )

20. Lopéz

Man of Honour

Wrong. Different airlines have different regulations and many will not allow anybody under 16 unsupervised.

With package holidays, if you are both under 18 you should have a letter of consent to send/give to them.