1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How religion can blind some people

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Loki, 7 May 2006.

1. Loki

Asus Rep

http://media.spikedhumor.com/24864/insane_woman_on_fox_news.wmv

Its about 5 minute long video. Some woman inteviewed on on FoxNews about her beliefs that AIDS, 9/11, Soliders dying in Iraq & Afghanistan etc etc is all Gods Wrath.

Amazing who religion can be used to justify pretty much anything and distort peoples views on reality

2. i know nothing

Mobster

I recently watched a programme on the Discovery Programme called "Secret Bible", it's part of a series they're running. On it there was this chap who has been keeping a diary for the last four years of all natural and man made disasters. Why? He believes he is cataloguing the apocalypse. If the world is really going to end what a completely pointless way to spend the last few days of your life!

Where I live it is predominantly bhuddist. It never ceases to amaze me how they interpret things. Much of it is a hodge podge of bhuddism, animism and astrology. It completely rules their lives (at least the vast majority) and of more concern is the way they adjust their lives to follow the advice of a monk or an astrologer or both.

I could list many bizarre requests I have had at the factory, my current favourite is the bowl of fruit and the two bottles of soft drink by the generator. We had a few problems with a fuel pump because of crap in the fuel, but I've since been told it was because we didn't make an offering. I have now appeased the spirits and I'm pleased to report the generator is now running smoothly, albeit with a new fuel pump. ;)

3. cleanbluesky

Capodecina

Has nothing to do with religion, its termed psychosis

4. VIRII

PermaBanned

We get the same at home with carrots, mince pies and a shot of Whisky for the big chap in the red outfit with the white beard.
    My daughter assures me he doesn't exist but I make sure she leaves me I mean him that mincer and whisky. Last year I even had to nibble the carrot.

5. Loki

Asus Rep

So does Psychosis use religion or alternative as a manifestation of a problem ?

6. cleanbluesky

Capodecina

No, psychosis is an individual thing and cannot be harnessed in groups of people...

I was saying that she seems unique in her views. If her views were manifest in a group of people, it would be a cult...

7. Meridian

Man of Honour

There's is an old Indian saying: "Pray to the gods, but row away from the rocks..."

M

8. i know nothing

Mobster

Just scanning the internet for local news and I see that it's going to get worse. You may find it funny but I seriously expect their findings to influence the governments decisions here. And no, I'm not joking either. :(

Has anybody RTM'd Virii's post about Father Christmas or do I have to do that? I think it's preposterous for him to suggest that he could possibly be Father Christmas :mad: ;)

9. Smithy

Wise Guy

Ive been thinking exactly the same thing for years. Ive always been astonished at how blinded by their religion some people are.
    She says something along the lines of.... "its his punishment to send dead soldiers home to their children".
    Sickening

10. VIRII

PermaBanned

You'd better behave or you won't be getting that Postman Pat trainset you wanted ....

11. SexyGreyFox

Man of Honour

This was posted in GD about a month ago and somebody came into the thread with some interesting facts about the church she attends and the leader of the church.
    What I remember is that theres only about 100 members and they are nearly all family.
    The leaders rap sheet had about 20 things he'd been arrested and imprisoned for.
    http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=6900594&postcount=91

I'll go look for it.

Found it (April 20th) -

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17565684&highlight=religion+woman

Last edited: 7 May 2006
  12. pyro

Capodecina

Like I said in the other thread, it's fox's fault for showing those guys protesting and having this whacko on national tv. These people should be ignored.

13. Vonhelmet

Caporegime

I wouldn't be overly surprised if 9/11 was allowed to happen by God. After all, plenty of times he relinquished his protection over the Israelites when they disobeyed him, and allowed them to be given over to the Babylonians, Canaanites, etc... This might be the same sort of thing.

Note: I did not say that God himself caused 9/11 to happen.