how smart has your home gone?

Soldato
Finally Google have changed to the new Nest aware subscription model today, £5/10 per month or £50/100 year no matter how many devices you have.

Good stuff, although mine has been £10 a month for a while anyway (3 cameras). It was at the point i was reluctant to buy more though for fear of it escalating to silly levels. I might be more willing now though.

Soldato
Finally Google have changed to the new Nest aware subscription model today, £5/10 per month or £50/100 year no matter how many devices you have.

Ooh, interesting. So I can add more indoor and outdoor cameras and I'm basically just paying for the hardware at this point? On going costs remain the same? That's tempting...

Soldato
I've actually been quite disappointed with Google, their Nest Aware platform has been riddled with instability the last couple of months with many outages. With no more Nest dev access it appears they're closing the loop on allowing their products to be accessed by 3rd parties. I know i won't be purchasing anymore Google kit until their vision of what they intend to do with Nest is much clearer.

Caporegime

typical

i have a nest hello I pay £40 a year for iirc.

I also 6 months ago got 4 cctv outdoor cameras and went for my own set up with an NVR because sub costs were too high with nest to the point I would spend in 1 year what I would over 10 with buying IP cameras and a NVR.

when the NVR fails or I feel like upgrading it's an option but I'm ****** to be spending £40 a year for just 1 cam now when I could have 5 for £100 and have cloud storage rather than just local

Caporegime
Update at any time and Google will refund the remainder of your old sub, put you instantly on the new sub and give a month free.

However the additional 25 days are blank beyond the old 5 day history at point of upgrade until it's actually recorded by your cam.

pointless - i have 5 day full history. if I pay £10 more per year I get 30 day event history only.

if I pay £60 more per year I get 30 day full history.

i'd rather stay on my current package.

Soldato
OP
Anyone using hue light strips to light landing in evening?

Now my son is toilet trained he gets up in the night. I'm wanting to put 2 strips to light the floor up slightly so he doesn't bump or trip in pitch black if he gets out of bed.

Not sure how to mount and hide them. Dint just want 2 light strips stuck to the walls.

Our landing is wall on one side and baluster on other side.

Anyone got any pics or ideas for stealth mounting?

Soldato
Currently pricing things up for my first property, I have left my missus to the interior decorating and then I have a budget for the "tech". Currently looking at going for;
- Nest Hello
- Google Wifi Router + Point (Will be going with Virgin and the superhub is trash!)
- Nest Thermostat
- Nest Hub (in Kitchen)
- Nest Protect

For CCTV I am thinking of a Reolink system as I have one installed at my parents house and its been solid and the Nest cameras are very expensive.

Still looking into 'security', not too sure if to go for a "smart" system or one of the more traditional systems.

Soldato
Good stuff, although mine has been £10 a month for a while anyway (3 cameras). It was at the point i was reluctant to buy more though for fear of it escalating to silly levels. I might be more willing now though.

Free Nest Hub for the full subscription it seems and nest speaker for the normal one.

Soldato
pointless - i have 5 day full history. if I pay £10 more per year I get 30 day event history only.

if I pay £60 more per year I get 30 day full history.

i'd rather stay on my current package.

Yeah i'm not too keen on this "event history recording" even if it is only 30 days. If i wanted event history recording i would have gone for the inferior ring doorbell.

Anyone using hue light strips to light landing in evening?

Now my son is toilet trained he gets up in the night. I'm wanting to put 2 strips to light the floor up slightly so he doesn't bump or trip in pitch black if he gets out of bed.

Not sure how to mount and hide them. Dint just want 2 light strips stuck to the walls.

Our landing is wall on one side and baluster on other side.

Anyone got any pics or ideas for stealth mounting?

For stealth mounting, i would just stick a strip under the balustrade, and then a motion sensor on the ceiling. If you weren't too fussed about the look + faff of installation, you could just as easily put a smart bulb in the landing light and have a motion sensor dim that when activated.

Currently pricing things up for my first property, I have left my missus to the interior decorating and then I have a budget for the "tech". Currently looking at going for;
- Nest Hello
- Google Wifi Router + Point (Will be going with Virgin and the superhub is trash!)
- Nest Thermostat
- Nest Hub (in Kitchen)
- Nest Protect

For CCTV I am thinking of a Reolink system as I have one installed at my parents house and its been solid and the Nest cameras are very expensive.

Still looking into 'security', not too sure if to go for a "smart" system or one of the more traditional systems.

Depending on how smart you intend to go, the Nest API is now closed down until Google decides what they wish to do with it. So Nest is more of a closed system now, there are a few hacks to get components working but it's not completely smooth and requires some tinkering.

Caporegime
- Nest Hello
- Nest Thermostat
- Nest Hub (in Kitchen)
- Nest Protect

Google have changed their subscription model on nest cameras. I'd go with their cctv personally now if I could re do mine again. But my current setup cost like £1k so will be keeping it for 5-10 years to get my moneys worth. Then I'll probably go nest by that time they will have 16k ai burglar detection with automatic number plate and vehicle type recording no doubt.

If you are getting a hello then get fill nest cameras they are expensive but worth it now the sub is cheaper overall.

Soldato
Depending on how smart you intend to go, the Nest API is now closed down until Google decides what they wish to do with it. So Nest is more of a closed system now, there are a few hacks to get components working but it's not completely smooth and requires some tinkering.
Yeah to be fair I do intend to stay in the Nest eco system rather than start looking at 3rd party options. Id rather things just work, I spend enough of my day trying to fix other problems hah!

Google have changed their subscription model on nest cameras. I'd go with their cctv personally now if I could re do mine again. But my current setup cost like £1k so will be keeping it for 5-10 years to get my moneys worth. Then I'll probably go nest by that time they will have 16k ai burglar detection with automatic number plate and vehicle type recording no doubt.

If you are getting a hello then get fill nest cameras they are expensive but worth it now the sub is cheaper overall.
I did say that, not sure if I can stomach the cost for the cameras though. I will see when it comes to it. It does look a cleaner way of doing it and if I am lazy at the time I purchase they may get added!

Caporegime
Yeah to be fair I do intend to stay in the Nest eco system rather than start looking at 3rd party options. Id rather things just work, I spend enough of my day trying to fix other problems hah!

I did say that, not sure if I can stomach the cost for the cameras though. I will see when it comes to it. It does look a cleaner way of doing it and if I am lazy at the time I purchase they may get added!

The cameras are expensive but they are now a one off cost unlike before.

It's worth it compared to the alternatives now.

Especially as you will need a sub with your hello.

Plus you don't need to get them all at the same time like you would need to with an alternative. You can get one every couple of months. All they need is a usb power supply and should be easily wall mounted by yourself. A decent drill and then plugged into a socket or extension.

Then fill the hole in with sealant outside and polyfilla inside.

Soldato
The cameras are expensive but they are now a one off cost unlike before.

It's worth it compared to the alternatives now.

Especially as you will need a sub with your hello.

Plus you don't need to get them all at the same time like you would need to with an alternative. You can get one every couple of months. All they need is a usb power supply and should be easily wall mounted by yourself. A decent drill and then plugged into a socket or extension.

Then fill the hole in with sealant outside and polyfilla inside.
Yeah very good point, be nice to have it all integrated together. I only really need 2/3 anyway as I am not looking at huge property. The Hello is another camera also so I would only really need one looking over the front of the house/driveway then one at the back.

EDIT: @Psycho Sonny , am I right in saying if I purchase a Nest Hello and 2/3 Camera, wire them all up and then I just choose either the new Nest Aware or Nest Aware Plus plan and that covers me for all the devices so it would just be one annual charge to get access to the 24/7 footage or whatever option I choose?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom