• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How to beat the scalpers and get a 3080/6800xt

Associate
I have come to realise that just waiting for OCUK to build stocks enough to sell the 6800XT/6900XT legitimately, with a full warranty is the way forward.

I'm just sitting tight until they drop.

This is the way.

P.s...I've looked and looked, and perused,
and nearly bought. Be it go green, 3080. 3090 (and been skint for a while).
But I keep thinking AMD for me.

Associate
I've been effectively living in a cave for over a year when it comes to hardware news. Only on discovering my 5700 XT has become challenged at UWQHD in Cyberpunk have I been motivated to take a peak at where the GPU market is at.

Looking clear it's time to go back into long-term hibernation and should just count my blessings I can run the above mentioned game at an acceptable visual quality / frame rate (at least to me anyway).

Associate
Discord stockdrop channels have been great - I've managed to get myself a 3080 and my son a 3070 for Christmas. Despite now having the cards I wanted Ive remained in a group as I think I'm addicted to the adrenaline rush when a new notification pops up :p

Caporegime
im a full time teacher ‍♂️
So you're in the middle of a class and you get a stock alert... "Hold on kids, brb..."

I'm sure you wouldn't do that, so you must have got lucky with alerts coming in downtime.

There are plenty of us who just can't drop everything to respond to an alert, in any case.

Associate
So you're in the middle of a class and you get a stock alert... "Hold on kids, brb..."

I'm sure you wouldn't do that, so you must have got lucky with alerts coming in downtime.

There are plenty of us who just can't drop everything to respond to an alert, in any case.

haha. Yea luckily most of the alerts come after 3pm so I’m golden.

Soldato
Discord stockdrop channels have been great - I've managed to get myself a 3080 and my son a 3070 for Christmas. Despite now having the cards I wanted Ive remained in a group as I think I'm addicted to the adrenaline rush when a new notification pops up :p

HOW? I dont believed you.

It impossible to get a 3080 when there was only 5 notifications on stockdrops channel through 8 to 22 Dec.

Soldato
I have to say the situation is incredibly frustrating - I'm a 51 year old bloke with better things to do than sit around all day trying to watch discord and forums etc - it's ridiculous.

I am in exactly same situation as you. It impossible for me to sit all day watch discord stockdrops discussion with fast paced messages flowed you cant catch up read to find the links when there was no notifications at all.

If everybody in this thread dont believed me?

Search Suprim X and you will find message posted link for RTX 3080 Suprim X on 22 Dec at 2.26PM but admin and moderators did not send link into notification. So everybody did not received Suprim X notification. It been happened again 3 times last week for RTX 3080 Suprim X.

I am so angry and very upset I didnt had a chance to grab Suprim X yesterday. Stocks was already been sold out if someone sat to watched discord discussion all day.

Why there was no 3080 notifications on 22 Dec?

It beyond JOKE!

Last edited:
Associate
HOW? I dont believed you.

It impossible to get a 3080 when there was only 5 notifications on stockdrops channel through 8 to 22 Dec.

Then say hello to my not-so-little friend...

20201223-053736.jpg

Yeah I know the cables need some tidying, this was just after I installed it.

There's still an element of luck involved - you have to respond to a drop almost instantly, make a snap decision to buy etc. I had my fair share of cancelled orders too and I only got my sons 3070 because I woke up unexpectedly at 4am moments before an alert went off.

It increases your chances from zero though which is more than can be said for the position we were all in when the cards first launched.

Man of Honour
How to beat the scalpers and get a 3080/6800xt

Wait for the cards to appear on the shop shelves.

There are a couple of cards I would very much like but I will never buy from a scalper.

If I can not get the cards I wanted it's not the end of the World and something better will be along in 6 months anyway.

Soldato
It’s certainly not impossible to get a 3080 unless your simply sat waiting in an OCUK queue!

I stopped waiting in their queues I signed up to discord alerts and within a week had a 3080. Yes there is some luck involved and you can’t be choosy about which one you ‘get’ but you have far more chance of getting one by doing this as opposed to being sat in a queue!

Soldato
It’s certainly not impossible to get a 3080 unless your simply sat waiting in an OCUK queue!

I stopped waiting in their queues I signed up to discord alerts and within a week had a 3080. Yes there is some luck involved and you can’t be choosy about which one you ‘get’ but you have far more chance of getting one by doing this as opposed to being sat in a queue!

Indeed, the problem is that many of the stock drops are well above MSRP even from so called reputable retailers. I could have had a 3080 a few times over if I was prepared to pay well above MSRP by 15% - 20% or more in many cases. It takes people to be patient and not jump on the first GPU that appears at "well it's only £150 - £200 extra". So when a £600 - £650 GPU becomes a ~£750 - £850 GPU people can hardly claim "it easy to get one if you know how". Not that I am accusing you of this.

I did ironically end up with a 6800 ref from OCUK at £70 over MSRP, so I know it's so easy to say "sure it's only £70 more" but where is the cut off? I do understand it is diffrerent for everyone but when I see someone jump on a 3090 at £1600 because they lost patience I do kinda cringe, but each to their own.

rn2

rn2

Associate
Is current stock is hit and miss with the dodgey capacitors still? It would probably be worth waiting for later batches anyway.

Associate
I managed to get a Gigabyte 3080 OC edition for RRP from Murrys a few weeks back using the stock bots in discord. Luckily I work from home so could watch it most of the day and react fast..

took a few attempts as they go quick but managed to snag one and couldn't be happier.

Back
Top Bottom