How to connect on PPPOE with router?

Associate
Hi,

I just got a new internet connection and trying to use my Netgear DG834PN router with it, but I'm having problems with my new internet connection.

The new connection has a network wall plug from where I directly connect my laptop using a network cable. Then I dial up a PPPOE connection from the laptop and get access to the net.
However, I would like to use my Netgear router to be able to have wireless internet in my apartment. I've unplugged the network cable from my laptop and connected it to the first network slot of the router, and went to the router setting to put the username and password of the PPPOE connection. Unfortunately, it doesn't connect. The router status keeps staying on "Connecting".

How is it possible to make it work, or get around this issue?

Last edited:
Associate
DG834PN? No good for what you want as it can only share internet received from a phone line via the built-in modem. The ethernet ports are for connecting machines to the LAN i.e. to receive internet not share it. You need a different router which can share internet received from a specific ethernet (WAN) port. They are commonly referred to as "cable" routers e.g. Netgear WNR2000.

Soldato
I initially thought the op meant DG834PN (a router I used for several years) but a quick google showed several references to a DG83PN so either there really is a DG83PN or a lot of typos. ;)

Either way, we agree on the solution.

Associate
OP
Sorry, I made a typo. I did mean DG834PN.

Is it possible to use a RJ11 to RJ45 converter though? Or even make a simple hack to the machine? I just arrived in a foreign country and don't quite speak the language enough to be able to buy electronics at this time.

Soldato
Sorry, I made a typo. I did mean DG834PN.

Is it possible to use a RJ11 to RJ45 converter though? Or even make a simple hack to the machine? I just arrived in a foreign country and don't quite speak the language enough to be able to buy electronics at this time.
No, they're completely incompatible. Similar questions have come up a couple of times recently and the answer is still the same - buy a cable router.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom