How to get an upgrade?

Associate
When you show your ticket cover up your seat number with your thumb, if the person checking is a little smarter he/she will ask you to move your thumb, simply say to them you have memorised it and it is seat "1A". :D

Associate
I've been upgraded a fair few times, on various airlines. It helps if you are flying by yourself (as they move you to make room for others), although I have been upgraded when flying with my sister (we both got the upgrade).

I have never done anything in particular. Once I got called to the desk and told I was being upgraded, most of the other times I got on board to find my seat was in business class!! :D

Soldato
Scam said:
Also make sure to have a frequent flyer card or a Gold card (etc) -- i expect that would be the one thing to increase your chances the most.

This is the key one. The Priority Club customers almost always get upgraded first when it's available.

Associate
Grow some more. I'm a scruffy student, albeit a 6' 4'' one, and I get upgraded to World Traveller Plus/Extra Leg Room on 90% of flights- even those "cheap" airlines like MyTravel, XL Airways, EasyJet etc etc.

Associate
1) wear a suit
2) be polite
3) flirt
4) look business
5) ask nicely if there are any

that should be enough to get one , if your lucky like me and 6'3 you get upgraded anyway due to not fitting in the seats :D

Soldato
Fly transatlantic late on a sunday night on a flight that would get in too late in the morning to be much use to business travellers and an odd time for leisure travellers who often go Friday or Saturday.

On my flight from Miami to Heathrow with Virgin I'd say economy was only about 80% full, meaning a fair few of us moved seats once the seatbelt signs were off and were sat in our own "double" seat (the config was 2-4-2, and myself and the 3 rows behind me all had 1 person per 2 seats!). Glad I didn't pay for premium economy!

Man of Honour
The key is to dress smart and be polite. An industry staff travel ID usually helps too :D

""I know this is a bit cheeky but do you offer any complimentary services to industry staff?" (flash the ID card)
"Of course sir, we could seat you in business class if thats OK?"
"That's fine thank you." :D

The only time I've ever been turned down is when business class is fully booked.

Associate
As someone's already mentioned, most airlines only upgrade people if the economy's overbooked but there are free seats in business or first. This does happen, although rest assured you won't be the only one asking for an upgrade, and I will guarantee that the check-in staff will be sick to death of hearing people ask every 5mins.

So do all the things mentioned earlier, APART from asking. This is the best way to get yourself the crappest seat on the whole plane... It'd probably help if you chatted/flirted a bit with the check-in staff, get on friendly terms.

An industry pass never helped me, but then my airline wasn't affiliated with the ones I was travelling on so.... :)

You might be better off asking if the emergency exits or bulkhead seats are free. Here you get some extra space but they don't have to do you any 'favours', just allocate you a particular seat. Also a good backup for when you don't get that upgrade (which you probably won't) :D

Most importantly, don't be a **** if they say no. Just say ok and be on your way, for the sanity of the poor guys who get it every day :rolleyes:

Associate
MaxPower said:
When you show your ticket cover up your seat number with your thumb, if the person checking is a little smarter he/she will ask you to move your thumb, simply say to them you have memorised it and it is seat "1A". :D

Good ol chandler ;)

My dad has a BA gold card and gets upgraded quite a lot aswell.

Back
Top Bottom