1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get into RECOVERY hidden partition?

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by lokkers, 15 Jan 2006.

1. lokkers

Wise Guy

My girlfriends laptop is getting very sluggish, and I am considering going for a fresh reinstall of the OS (XP Home).

However, the machine didnt come with any CD media, and I guess this is on a hidden partition called RECOVERY (see screenie). This doesnt show as a partition, so cannot be accessed via My Computer or the run prompt. Also a right-click in Disk Management only gives me a Help option, so I cant change the drive letter to something more accessable.

Question is, does anyone know how I can get access to this partition to get hold of the XP Home installation files which I guess are in there?

[​IMG]

2. Caged

Capodecina

What PC is it? Try pressing F10 when its booting.

3. lokkers

Wise Guy

ITs an Advent laptop, about 15 months old. I'll give F10 a shot

EDIT: Yep that took me into Advents own recovery app, giving me various options including a reinstall. But any idea how to actually browse this drive? I am old-school and i like doing it the proper way :p

Last edited: 15 Jan 2006
  4. Caged

Capodecina

How do you mean the proper way?

5. roughlad

Hitman

youl probally find that you cant browes through all the files as alot will be zipped or in a ghost format as it has been desigend so you cant just play with it.

6. lokkers

Wise Guy

Installation CD so i can control what is installed and where.

7. Caged

Capodecina

That's not gonna happen. It will likely as said above be a Ghost image. You won't be able to pull an XP disc off of that rcovery partition.