How to get my Broadcom 802.11ac Network Adapter to see higher 5ghz channels

Associate
Hello all. I'm in no shape or form savvy at computer programming or network configuration, hence the reason for creating this thread.

In short, I have reset and reconfigured my router (Asus RT-AC68U) and want to have my 5ghz signal operating in the higher channel range (particularly channel 100). There is no other 5ghz signal around my home in that channel range, however, my desktop only sees 5ghz in the lower channel range which already has two signals close by.

The network adapter on the desktop is Asus PCE-AC68 (Broadcom 802.11ac) and it will not pick up the 5ghz signal on the higher channel range. Is it possible to change the settings of the network adapter so that it will see the 5ghz signal in higher channel range?

Seems strange that the network adapter and router are from the same manufacturer and within the same model range but you can operate one outside the compatibility of the other.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Soldato
Not all kit will see the full 5ghz band. Usually you are lucky if you get anything more than band a.

Why do you want to use band B anyway? You leave yourself susceptible to DFS hits when they are not needed.

Run your 5ghz in 20mhz channel width and you get 4 channels in the lower band a, if you insist on using none standard channels then you can use the higher a band with DFS but stay clear of band B as you really don't need it.

Associate
OP
Not all kit will see the full 5ghz band. Usually you are lucky if you get anything more than band a.

Why do you want to use band B anyway? You leave yourself susceptible to DFS hits when they are not needed.

Run your 5ghz in 20mhz channel width and you get 4 channels in the lower band a, if you insist on using none standard channels then you can use the higher a band with DFS but stay clear of band B as you really don't need it.
Thanks for the info. I'm trying out channel 52 in 40mhz now (my devices won't pick up the 5ghz signal in 20mhz if the 2.4ghz channel is running as well.

Soldato
Associate
Slightly too late to help OP but since this comes up on google..

PCE-AC68 latest driver from ASUS is indeed stuck to US region and there's no easy way to change that. You can tweak the windows 8.1 driver INF file and then manually install it to change the region BUT no such thing for Windows 10. However, since the Broadcom BCM43xx chip is pretty widely used, you can grab other sources. Here's a bunch: https://www.station-drivers.com/ind...emid=353&func=select&id=262&orderby=4&lang=en

I'm using 7.77.119.0 driver right now, it's happy to connect to channel 56 at 1300/1300 rate.. No neighbours stealing that channel bandwith.

https://www.station-drivers.com/ind...tory&Itemid=353&func=fileinfo&id=4587&lang=en

Back
Top Bottom