*** How to obtain a bike license ***

Soldato
Just bought a pair of gloves, and some cheap boots to use so far. Was told for hygiene reasons I may not want to borrow theirs. Might look at getting a helmet and jacket next. Not really too sure what to get yet, so will just go and try some stuff on I think, unless anyone has any advice for a newb?

Soldato
Just bought a pair of gloves, and some cheap boots to use so far. Was told for hygiene reasons I may not want to borrow theirs. Might look at getting a helmet and jacket next. Not really too sure what to get yet, so will just go and try some stuff on I think, unless anyone has any advice for a newb?

Maybe pop into a bike shop and try a bunch of textile kit out - get an idea of your sizes, then maybe pick up second hand stuff off of eBay? That'll help keep costs down, and textiles will serve you for pretty much year-round riding.

Soldato
CBT all done, didn't take long in the end. Very mixed ability group of 4. One guy was just doing the car park stuff as his license had expired and the other two were pretty nervous with no experience. Ended up going out on the road with two of us, while one of the others waited. I was riding in front going ok, and the other guy ended up going through a junction and toppled over into the curb! After a bit more riding and his nerves settled down a bit we went back to the shop where I was signed off after which point the instructor carried on with the other two. Bit of an adventure, but good fun.

Found the 125 bikes a bit wobbly, and changing gear a bit faffy at times, especially going down through the box on the way toward junctions, but I'm sure with more practice it'll get a bit smoother.

Theory booked for next week, then DAS booked for mid september so got to do a good few days training now for that.

Soldato
CBT all done, didn't take long in the end. Very mixed ability group of 4. One guy was just doing the car park stuff as his license had expired and the other two were pretty nervous with no experience. Ended up going out on the road with two of us, while one of the others waited. I was riding in front going ok, and the other guy ended up going through a junction and toppled over into the curb! After a bit more riding and his nerves settled down a bit we went back to the shop where I was signed off after which point the instructor carried on with the other two. Bit of an adventure, but good fun.

Found the 125 bikes a bit wobbly, and changing gear a bit faffy at times, especially going down through the box on the way toward junctions, but I'm sure with more practice it'll get a bit smoother.

Theory booked for next week, then DAS booked for mid september so got to do a good few days training now for that.
How many days have you chosen for your DAS?

Soldato
I've gone to four days to begin with, got a fair amount of time before the tests are booked though, so if I need a bit more time i'll be able to book hopefully be able to book in some extra.
Four days is plenty, you'll be riding a 650cc bike within the first 2 hours so plenty of time.

Unless you are really unbalanced I wouldn't pay for extra lessons outside the 4 days DAS training.

Soldato
The CBT guy seemed to think it'd be fine so will see. I feel like it's hopefully going to be a case of just learning how to pass. Managed not to stick any feet down on any of the u turns or slaloms on the CBT, so hoping 600s will be similar for the Mod1

Associate
Unlucky!

The hazard perception just feels like a game to me, having to click when you think they expect you to click. You can see a potential hazard developing and miss the points for being early, crazy system :rolleyes:

If you haven't got one, it'd be worth buying the hazard perception practice disc. Half an hour every day until your test and it'll be a breeze!

Soldato
Yeah I have the app on my phone so have just been using that, and had been going fine with that. Like you say though, think I possibly clicked too early on a few and missed the points. Possibly need to click a couple of times to make sure. Frustrating!

Soldato
Second time lucky on the theory today! Made sure I basically clicked for everything on the hazard perception this time. Even got zero on one for clicking too much. 67 out of 75 still though. Had first day of DAS on Saturday too which seemed to go well. Another day Saturday then 3rd day and test on the 18th/19th sept.

Soldato
Congrats!

Hazard perception does feel like a little bit of a gamble. I ended up getting zero on the double pointer with two hazards due to clicking too much - had me nervous throughout the rest of it but just about scraped a pass!

Associate
Second time lucky on the theory today! Made sure I basically clicked for everything on the hazard perception this time. Even got zero on one for clicking too much. 67 out of 75 still though. Had first day of DAS on Saturday too which seemed to go well. Another day Saturday then 3rd day and test on the 18th/19th sept.
Congrats and good luck with the mod1 and 2

Soldato
Cheers, second day of training today. Starting to wish I'd grouped it together now. Took me a while this morning to get back into it again, although was on a cb500f today which was the first time from the 125. Annoyingly was with another guy today that thought he knew it all, but was constantly getting it wrong and so many stops as explanations were given. Ate into my own learning time I felt, but was slowly getting more confident as the day went on. Still making a fair few 'failure' mistakes though. Stopping in wrong places, a few lane discipline faults etc.

One more day in another week then the test the following day, which I don't feel particularly confident on at the moment, so we shall see.

Back
Top Bottom