How to remove Paxmate

Associate
I've been battling with Akasa Paxmate for the past few days.

First I removed the black stuff; combination of pulling it off and using a plastic scraper to tease it away from the adhesive backing.

Then I was left with the adhesive to remove. :confused:

Nightmare I thought, until .... I had a brainwave! :eek:
I figured that car products don't harm paint/metal, and that tar is about the nastiest thing you could get on your car, so dug out that bottle of AutoGlym Tar Remover I bought about 10 years ago and used once!

It works a treat. :D

Sprinkle the liquid on and let it penetrate into the glue. Then applying firm pressure rub top layer of glue off with a piece of kitchen roll (I recommend Bounty) - or use the plastic scraper thing from before. Then sprinkle the stuff on, leave for a bit, then using the kitchen roll remove almost all the remaining glue. One final application does it and a quick wipe over removes all the glue.

Job done.

Although I would recommend washing the area with a car shampoo to remove the last of the Tar Remover.

Associate
OP
Thanks mate :D

And it has that nice AutoGlym clean car smell as well!

I suppose that Meguiar's Gold Class Bug and Tar Remover (473ml) (LS-007-MG) sold by good old OcUK would do a similar job.

Soldato
You sir, are a legend.

That's just made my day, I've been trying to get this crap off for ages! I've tried god knows how many different cleaners on it in the hope one might just dissolve it away.

Glass cleaner, Mr Muscle, Bleach, etc, all didnt work.

Soldato
Just found an easy way to remove most of the white paper stuff underneath the black foam. Get down to B&Q and get a can of paint/varnish remover and apply that fairly thickly to the case. Leave it for about 10 minutes, and then use a scraper of some sort to scrape the crap away. It takes a few attempts but you're left with the tar which you can remove with the above method :D

Permabanned
i would have thought a bit of white spirit would whip it right off. Ive also got some de-grease spray which hasnt failed to remove any sticky reminents.

Associate
Atari said:
Just found an easy way to remove most of the white paper stuff underneath the black foam. Get down to B&Q and get a can of paint/varnish remover and apply that fairly thickly to the case. Leave it for about 10 minutes, and then use a scraper of some sort to scrape the crap away. It takes a few attempts but you're left with the tar which you can remove with the above method :D

Do not try this if you have a painted case! (as in the car coated sides of the 200/201s)

Soldato
Oops! Yup, really should have clarified that. It only works on non-painted surfaces like anodized aluminium etc. Also, make sure you do it in a well ventilated area as it gives off some pretty harsh fumes while it gets into that glue.

4 applications later, a quick waxing, and I've got a nice shiny Praetorian side panel :D

Associate
OP
Atari said:

The white paper stuff? The entire layer below the black foam is the adhesive and the Tar Remover works a treat on it. Dab it on and leave for a couple minutes then use a piece of plastic to scrap it off. Then the glue residue can be rubbed off after another one or two applications of Tar Remover.

Back
Top Bottom