1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to tell if you have a failing PSU?

Discussion in 'Power Supplies' started by hobib_ali, 6 Jan 2021.

1. hobib_ali

Wise Guy

Had a few BSOD on cyber punk and just cyber punk

Most ppl on the steam forums state that its my PSU that is dying, apparently during some situations ingame, hard render scenes, apparently my PSU cannot handle it

I own a 1300 watt Evga G2

Nothing else causes BSOD, not sure if I should underclock my GPU

Especially at a time where there is a PSU drought, hardly any stock anywhere.

Wondering if there is a way to actually test the PSU to determine if there is a fault.....

2. mickyflinn

Capodecina

Cub6yer punk is plaughed with problems and of its only happing in that game then theres the problem and its seriously demanding.

A 1300w psu will handle any gpu.

What gpu you got, is it maxing out at 100% what fps you getting in cyberpunk.?

3. Meddling-Monk

Wise Guy

Did the BSOD give any details? WHEA error? DX error? Anything? Might help narrow down the cause.

4. hobib_ali

Wise Guy

no

it stuck at the \BSOD until i restart, no messages appear that i can remember, funny thing is no other game has this issue and apparently a game cannot cause a BSOD

5. hobib_ali

Wise Guy

ive got a 3080 Evga FTW ultra at stock speed, on a 1440p screen im getting around 60-90fps depending on the map, and the usage shows 100%

6. mickyflinn

Capodecina

Im not convinced its the psu as the game is buggy , have you got individual pcie cables connected to the 3080 ?

7. hobib_ali

Wise Guy

well its a 3x8 pin connection on he gpu, ive got a 8 pin single connector going from the PSU to the GPU x3, so no daisy chaining.

I have a AE9 connected which also hasits own 6 pin cable from the PSU

Ive also got 4 HDDs and 2 SSD's, but i still have 4 empty connections on the PSU so im not drawing full load, it is however 4-5 years old

But EVGA PSU's are kind of bullet proof, never had any issues.

Do u think it could be hardware related such as the motherboard? 2077 is a mess of a game however im told BSOD is a hardware issue?

8. mickyflinn

Capodecina

You could See of there's a bios update for your 3080 but that fact its only happening in cyberpunk seems umits game releated.

Tone down the detail in game to increase fps then lock the frame rate to 60fps see if crashes still occur.

Have you checked windows event after crashes ?

9. Hakanese

Wise Guy

Take down off any overclocks you may have running, and disable any overlays. drop your gpu clock speed down 100mhz and see if it's doing ok. That's normally the method I use to diagnose any random crashes I get during a heavy game

10. AtaRo

Wise Guy

11. hobib_ali

Wise Guy

yes i installed some sort of blue freeware, after bsod on cyberpunk i couldnt find the files or audit trail

12. hobib_ali

Wise Guy

anything such as a power supply benching programme?

we have it for gpu cpu why not psu

13. AtaRo

Wise Guy

Are you using an extension cable for the GPU or some of those 90°|180° adapters?