How to wire guitar with 4 way selector and push pull ?.

Associate
Thought I might ask this here after seeing this old post. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/threads/guitar-wiring-help.18731300/

Recently got a few upgrades for my telecaster with the intention of putting the pickups out of phase with a 4 way selector switch and also splitting the hotrails bridge pickup into a single with a push pull tone pot.

Push/Pull = split hot rails

position 1 = Bridge

position 2 = bridge/neck in parallel

position 3 = neck/bridge out of phase

position 4 = neck

I have flipped the control plate and pots to get the volume closer to the play area and the selector switch further away. I have taken a diagram of of an image search and removed the wires in paint then moved the pots and flipped the switch so it matches the layout I currently have. the third wire on the neck pickup has been added also.

If anyone here has a clue how to wire this up or could point me in the right direction it would be a massive help.

Here is the Diagram.
z6mizblkbk561.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Thought I might ask this here after seeing this old post. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/threads/guitar-wiring-help.18731300/

Recently got a few upgrades for my telecaster with the intention of putting the pickups out of phase with a 4 way selector switch and also splitting the hotrails bridge pickup into a single with a push pull tone pot.

Push/Pull = split hotrails
position 1 = Bridge
position 2 = bridge/neck in parallel
position 3 = neck
position 4 = neck/bridge in series

I have flipped the control plate and pots to get the volume closer to the play area and the selector switch further away. I have taken a diagram of of an image search and removed the wires in paint then moved the pots and flipped the switch so it matches the layout I currently have. the third wire on the neck pickup has been added also.

If anyone here has a clue how to wire this up or could point me in the right direction it would be a massive help.

Here is the Diagram.
4c09hn6ejj561.jpg

This is what I use: Seymour Duncan Strat Wiring Diagram | Seymour Duncan

Not sure if its going to work having them in parallel and series though, im using 2 humbuckers, a DiMarzio Evolution in the neck and a Seymour Duncan Dimebucker in the Bridge position with a 3 way push pull so I transfer them to single coils or humbuckers.

Rather than soldering all the ground wires to the backs of the pots (and theres a lot of them) I just soldered 1 wire to the back of each pot, then took a very small terminal block, removed the plastic from it and glued it into the area where all the wiring is and pushed all the ground wires into that, saves a lot of mess.

Position 1 is then the Neck with push pull for single coil
Position 2 neck and Bridge with push pull for single coil
Position 3 Bridge with push pull for single coil

And this is exactly how I wired her up:

5F88n3S.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
looking on the website you provided there is no diagrams for the wiring I am after. I might need to research if it's even possible

If it cant be done and you end up having to go 3 way, get a CTS volume Pot, OMG honestly, I dont know how I ever lived without it, made wiring soooo much easier: CTS Push Pull Pot Wiring | Six String Supplies

LOL I just found this on the same site, you may need that CTS pot, but I think in that case, the push pull will become series / parallel, rather than position 4 on the switch:

4HScnxL.jpg

Soldato
I might have to go for something like that instead. Going to try and make it work with the hardware I currently have first. Will take the CTS volume pot into consideration.

tricky part for you is you're using a single coil with a humbucker, it was easier for me using 2 humbuckers, identical wiring.

Obviously you're not going to be able to split the single coil in any way whatsoever as its only got 2 wires coming out of it, the only one you're going to be able to play with is the humbucker.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I was only planning on having the humbucker split anyway.

would having 2 pushpulls be able to achieve the same configuration I am after. Being able to split the humbucker with one and put the pickups out of phase with another?

Back
Top Bottom