• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How will Nvidia react to the AMD 6000 series launch?

Soldato
How do you think Nvidia will react to today's launch by AMD? It was an utter curb-stomp, wasn't it?

Off the top of my head:

Immediate price reductions - the 3090 will become $999
Ti / Super versions of GPUs with 16+ GB RAM for the same price and price reductions on existing low-VRAM cards.

Longer term:

Accelerate Hopper development, with a launch next year.

Man of Honour
I'd wait for independent benchmarks performance wise - I suspect the 3080 and 3090 cards will trade blows with the AMD counterparts over a wider range of games and testing.

VRAM amount wise and price they've taken the game to nVidia and the 3070ti slot will probably get populated soon.

Man of Honour
Unlock some mythical drivers that unlocks more performance in the 3090 to make it look worthwhile :p:rolleyes:, thats me hoping haha!

AMD had to use both Rage mode and SAM to match/beat the 3090 so I doubt nVidia will worry much there and the 3090 has more VRAM.

The 3080 with less VRAM and the 3070 which looks to get beat on both performance and VRAM and have no pricing advantage are going to be the tougher spots for nVidia.

Although I'm not sure about Infinity Cache depending on how much AMD is depending on it for performance as it is more a technology that belongs in console space and might not hold up in the longer term on desktop.

Associate
Slashing the 3090 price to 1099 or similar is my biggest concern.
Haven't even used the card yet. I am happy to keep the card if the price doesn't reduce. I am aware that prices go down, but I've never been in the situation that it has slashed before I even get to use it.
It's still in the return window, do I gamble on a refund? What's people's thoughts?

Soldato
AMD had to use both Rage mode and SAM to match/beat the 3090 so I doubt nVidia will worry much there and the 3090 has more VRAM.

The 3090 with less VRAM and the 3070 which looks to get beat on both performance and VRAM and have no pricing advantage are going to be the tougher spots for nVidia.

Although I'm not sure about Infinity Cache depending on how much AMD is depending on it for performance as it is more a technology that belongs in console space and might not hold up in the longer term on desktop.
Well i don't regret getting a 3090 as i've had none stop fun with it since obtaining one. I do wish there was more performance in it though for the price you pay though i totally understand its not a gaming card and more of a workstation card.

Soldato
Slashing the 3090 price to 1099 or similar is my biggest concern.
Haven't even used the card yet. I am happy to keep the card if the price doesn't reduce. I am aware that prices go down, but I've never been in the situation that it has slashed before I even get to use it.
It's still in the return window, do I gamble on a refund? What's people's thoughts?

Yeah I'd return it for sure.

Soldato
They will predictably release the 3080TI at the 999 price point or if they want to be aggressive, 899.
3080 still trades blows with 6800XT so thats safe.

6800 is more expensive than 3070 so I think for at leasr 6 months they can rely on the sheep to just buy the poorer card. Long term wise in the next 8-12 months they'll have to refresh 3070 to a model with more VRAM.

Long term wise, they need a SUPER refresh like they did during the 20 series. It'll just come sooner than we thought.

Associate
they wont slash the prices for the current 3080/90 they may lower the retail price slightly, especially when the 3080ti or super are released, this youtuber confirmed the skus for the updated cards, looking at AMDs info i bet it will be a cause for concern for Nvidia, i bet a lot of people who couldnt buy a 3080 will jump ship on AMD, their benches show their new cards head to head with the 3000 series cards

And the release date is a few weeks away, maybe AMD will have way better stock levels.

Associate

The 3080 with less VRAM and the 3070 which looks to get beat on both performance and VRAM and have no pricing advantage are going to be the tougher spots for nVidia.

Why are people making this sound like a downplay on AMDs part? why wouldn't you use your own ecosystem to gain more performance? Nvidia does it with DLSS

Soldato
How do you think Nvidia will react to today's launch by AMD? It was an utter curb-stomp, wasn't it.

Was it? No doubt AMD's new cards look great on the Marketing slides but so did Nvidia's. Shouldn't we wait until there are reviews of these cards to see what the whole truth is first?

Apart from the 3090 and 6900XT, the other cards are basically a wash according to the slides. Same MSRP, roughly same performance and roughly same power consumption.

The price we actually pay will depend a lot on how much stock AMD have and how big the demand is.

Nvidia's real problem at the moment is getting stock onto the shelves.

Soldato
Why are people making this sound like a downplay on AMDs part? why wouldn't you use your own ecosystem to gain more performance? Nvidia does it with DLSS
It's something I said ages ago that would be a neat trick for AMD to do and good to see it's now happened (perf boost using AMD CPU and GPU)

3090 I expect will remain at it's current price at least until there's a better supply & demand balance. They'd be daft to drop the price if currently selling out in minutes.
3080 Ti maybe brought forward.
I'm already expecting NV to do a mid-term refresh, similar to 480/580. It's their first stab at 7nm(8) so I won't be surprised of a mid-gen refresh
AMD seem to have gained a lot of ground here.
i'm happy to wait this out for now.

Last edited:
Associate
I'd wait for independent benchmarks performance wise - I suspect the 3080 and 3090 cards will trade blows with the AMD counterparts over a wider range of games and testing.

VRAM amount wise and price they've taken the game to nVidia and the 3070ti slot will probably get populated soon.
78,000 posts Jesus have you got a life outside OcUK forums?

Associate
I have a 3090, the price of the 6900XT is a bit of a kick in the teeth price wise but performance wise i am happy. If the 6900xt needs to use Rage mode and System access memory to be on par or beat it then i am sure in the real world the 3090 will slightly top it. But as with most things that are in a few % of each other it won't be noticable to many of us apart from in benchmarks that may make us feel good.

Also the 6900XT was using the 5900x CPU according to the last slides so good comparison for 10900k owners and people upgrading to it!

Associate
lets hope they have the stock to cover the demand as even im looking to change my order over to amd as it look like it going to be avalible in greater numbers and already comes with 16 ddr 6 and a cheaper price .

Soldato
They will do nothing because they are supply constrained, it's the same story as what happened with Intel when Ryzen demolished them. They didn't have enough supply and therefore they could still keep prices high. It means nothing for now, but if they do Samsung again next time then that's when it's going to be a real problem for Nvidia because AMD will have all the 7nm supply they'll want as it won't be sharing it with consoles' launch (so more supply) & CPUs.

Back
Top Bottom