How would you use these servers?

Soldato
could use either of those machines as print servers too. do direct ip mapping of printers on the machines and have other machines access the server for printing requirements.

Soldato
be warned ms exchange server takes up a huge amount of ram. i had a system boot up to windows and idle with 600+megs of ram consumption running nothing but clean install of server 2003 datacentre and exchange server 2003.

Soldato
feenster99 said:
Point taken in return ;)

I don't want to go into the in's and out's, but our business is growing steadily, and we need to sort this out before things really pick up after the summer. I will definately look into the HP type servers, as it could be a wise investment if we continue to grow.

Cheers,
Matt

Nice to hear that you are willing to listen to different points of view, take the facts and make your decision, i wish you all the best.

Permabanned
Curiosityx said:
If you were to consolidate and migrate onto one server a single HP DL380 …..dual power supplies, dual 3.6Ghz processors and 2Gb Ram would be more than ideal for ~10 users
heh, we had three sites that ran off one 200Mhz Pentium box (Exchange + BDC) supporting 50 users at the time. The current rig is similar to the above and easily supported 150 users. The P200 is still running 8 years on ! (test domain use only)

It's nice to have new servers, but if you plan for the risk and have no money, it can be done with less.

I've noticed DR companies use HP. They see a lot of failed hardware and so know what is reliable or not.

Soldato
HP kit is fantastic. Every company I deal with I always say get HP. Proliant ML370 G3/4/5 is a very good box.

My current work place we've got about 2000 HP servers and can't fault them..

Back
Top Bottom