** HP Compaq Mini 311c-1010SA Intel Atom N270 ION 11.6" Netbook @ £314.99 inc VAT **

Associate
The slot is there and its open. That means 1gb is on the mobo. When the slot is there is pretty much usable. Most manufactures remove the slot completely if they want a 1gb limit. Case in point as msi tried to do with their u120

http://jkontherun.com/2009/01/23/is-the-msi-wind-u120-limited-to-1gb-of-ram/

2gb PC3-8500 1066MHz DDR3 SODIMM shud work in there as confirmed by u.s users on another forum. Any faster speed ram won't be beneficial.

Associate
10Gb is nothing these days! ;)

I'll have a ponder about this little beasty, I don't know if you saw my pondering post yesterday, but HP are releasing the DM3, a full blown laptop which has a quite tidy graphics card in it (ATI Radeon Mobi 3200), set for release end of October with Win7.

Soldato
1: Overall build is very good, no flex, slim and fairly light. Performance seems very snappy once you've removed all the bundled crap.

2. I will do, just a minute.

3. Keyboard is 92% standard size and fantastic to use, trackpad is good but not amazing (won't trouble a MBP, but still nice to use).

Cheers for that Raikiri :)

Couple more questions what's the boot time like and battery life? Did you also receive a voucher to redeem for an upgrade to Windows 7?

The reason I’m asking is I’m considering buying this for my mum as she needs a replacement for her 5yr old laptop (HP nx7010) and doesn’t need an all signing all dancing laptop just something mainly to browse the web, email and use word/excel. I'm attracted to this due to the high-res wide screen (1366x768) and it’s almost full size keyboard not to mention the portability.

Could this work as an everyday machine?

Soldato
Boot time is about 35 seconds.

Battery life I couldn't say, haven't used it enough yet and the HP software for checking simply doesn't work (can't start it and there's not even a config file to try and fix the damn thing).

I will be using it every day at Uni for pretty much the tasks you decribed, the odd video etc.
The only thing it falls down on is HD flash video but I believe a CUDA accelerated version is being worked on.

Edit: Also ordered 2gb ddr3 for it, so I'll update again when that arrives and stick windows 7 on it.

Edit 2: Used 7% is 22 minutes playing video, firefox and installing something, about 60% brightness, Wi-Fi on, bluetooth on so about 4.5-5 hours under fairly heavy use.

Last edited:
Soldato
Excellent news!

Its time to upgrade for me and Ion is the way to go, this is the number 1 contender at the moment. Lets hope it takes the ddr upgrade alright and the battery is close to NC10 numbers (likely?).

Anyone want a good deal on an Advent 4211 :p.

Soldato
Boot time is about 35 seconds.

Battery life I couldn't say, haven't used it enough yet and the HP software for checking simply doesn't work (can't start it and there's not even a config file to try and fix the damn thing).

I will be using it every day at Uni for pretty much the tasks you decribed, the odd video etc.
The only thing it falls down on is HD flash video but I believe a CUDA accelerated version is being worked on.

Edit: Also ordered 2gb ddr3 for it, so I'll update again when that arrives and stick windows 7 on it.

Edit 2: Used 7% is 22 minutes playing video, firefox and installing something, about 60% brightness, Wi-Fi on, bluetooth on so about 4.5-5 hours under fairly heavy use.

Nice! Thanks again :)

Think I'm sold as long as the RAM upgrade works ok, which it no doubt will :cool:

How much did the RAM set you back?

Soldato
£28 delivered, it's PNY (not exactly great, but branded at least).

Edit: 311 minutes battery running the same settings as CNET use, FYI.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom