HP Reverb G2 uk release date?

Soldato
Thanks for the replies about cancelling fellas.

Still haven't made my mind up yet but will just give them a ring if I do decide to cancel it

I couldn't get through on the phone at all, I replied to the email they sent me and didn't hear anything for 3-4 days so I called my CC company to get put it in dispute so it wouldn't clog up my next months statement, about 2 hours later they replied to my email and said they would process my refund.

Associate
I couldn't get through on the phone at all, I replied to the email they sent me and didn't hear anything for 3-4 days so I called my CC company to get put it in dispute so it wouldn't clog up my next months statement, about 2 hours later they replied to my email and said they would process my refund.

Cheers for the reply. Sounds like they aren't overly keen on refunding people :rolleyes: I paid by Debit card so dont have that CC protection

Soldato
Always buy big ticket items on credit card, even if you then pay it off straight away. You get so much more protection under section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act than when using a debit card.

Either way though if you want to cancel there is no way they should deny it, it’s just a question of getting them to actually answer. If no response after a reasonable time and no answer on the phone then start threatening escalation.

Or just keep the order and sell for full retail price (or more if you are feeling opportunistic) once it launches, pocket the pre-order discount. If history is any indicator then demand will outstrip supply for a while.

Soldato
I think that’d be premature at this point... we don’t know how much the Quest 2 weighs, how comfortable it is to use, what the FoV is, what IPD range it suits, what kind of panel it is using (nor what refresh rate or exactly what resolution), how good the lenses are, what improvements have been made to link etc etc.

As much as I think the Quest 2 looks great, I don’t think it will win against the G2 for a significant number of people.

Before the details come flowing in, I’ll place my bets - the advantages of the G2 will be:

- higher resolution (2160x2160 vs something like 1900x1800)
- significantly superior built in audio
- better weight balance, less heat, more comfortable for long gaming sessions (important point for sims especially)
- uncompressed feed with no latency giving a superior image quality to the link.
- No Facebook account required, and can’t be banned from your G2.

Quest 2 advantages will be:

- Price!
- Ability to play mobile games without access to a PC
- Improved virtual desktop WiFi gaming experience due to WiFi 6
- Improved link quality due to XR2 having significantly more video bandwidth and decoding ability, still not quite up with native feed but significantly closing the gap.
- better controllers, likely better tracking overall
- Oculus’ peerless software stack with their superior ASW, ATW, passthrough+, hand tracking and easy access to oculus store games.

Ultimately I think if you are willing to overlook the Facebook practises, they will actually go very nicely together as a pair. Each has their own appeal.

If your budget doesn’t extend to both I think it will come down to where you spend your time most and whether you want to bend over for Zuck... for people like myself where the bulk of their VR is sim racing or flying I think the G2 is still where the party is at.

Soldato
Before the details come flowing in, I’ll place my bets - the advantages of the G2 will be:

- better weight balance, less heat, more comfortable for long gaming sessions (important point for sims especially)
- uncompressed feed with no latency giving a superior image quality to the link.

- Price!
- Improved link quality due to XR2 having significantly more video bandwidth and decoding ability, still not quite up with native feed but significantly closing the gap.
- Oculus’ peerless software stack with their superior ASW, ATW, passthrough+, hand tracking and easy access to oculus store games.

Sounds about right to me.

Near 4k resolution with high pixel density - that is surely going to look pretty damn good.

I agree that the limiting factor will be the compression process as that adds system overhead on a par with running a G2 straight up (proved by MRTV in a recent video).

Re facebook - you've got to have done something saft to get banned from it really. Most normal people like us just posting the odd family photo or bike ride are not really gonna have any issues, and data stealing!? Not really a big concern of mine if Im honest. Although advertising - that could be an issue. i don't really care about seeing ads on facebook but I don't want to see gaming interrupted to show them.

IF the quest 2 is 80% of the G2's quality and also standalone and £300? That's a big win for me.

Associate
Just in from System Active...

"We are still waiting for HP to officially announce the release date of the HP Reverb G2. We have been told the announcement is imminent. We will of course update you immediately.

Our full allocation of Reverb G2s for the first release has now sold out. So you are one of the lucky ones :)"

Soldato
Can still pre order without controllers for 1st day release.....

Arrrggh Decisions

Gonna be an expensive month or 2 with a 3090 and this........lol

Soldato
I think that’d be premature at this point... we don’t know how much the Quest 2 weighs, how comfortable it is to use, what the FoV is, what IPD range it suits, what kind of panel it is using (nor what refresh rate or exactly what resolution), how good the lenses are, what improvements have been made to link etc etc.

As much as I think the Quest 2 looks great, I don’t think it will win against the G2 for a significant number of people.

- Price!

Ultimately I think if you are willing to overlook the Facebook practises, they will actually go very nicely together as a pair. Each has their own appeal.

If your budget doesn’t extend to both I think it will come down to where you spend your time most and whether you want to bend over for Zuck... for people like myself where the bulk of their VR is sim racing or flying I think the G2 is still where the party is at.

That seems like a pretty good summation of what will happen.

The two things I might argue about are the sound quality and the comfort. I would like to think Oculus will have improved the Audio quality (But maybe not) But, I would be extremely surprised if the new Quest isn't very comfortable. It was one of the major complaints of the first Quest.

Soldato
That seems like a pretty good summation of what will happen.

The two things I might argue about are the sound quality and the comfort. I would like to think Oculus will have improved the Audio quality (But maybe not) But, I would be extremely surprised if the new Quest isn't very comfortable. It was one of the major complaints of the first Quest.

It’s all relative really... I would absolutely hope and expect it to be improved over the quest, but piped audio from tiny speakers is simply not ever going to be able to truly compete with the index style over ear drivers for power, bass and overall fidelity. It may come closer than the quest did but I will eat my sock if it has the same quality audio.

Same somewhat goes for comfort but less conclusively - the headset needs to have extra gubbins in it due to being standalone, not least of which is a decent sized battery. That means it’s naturally going to tend to be heavier in the main unit, though overall weight may be comparable due to the larger head strap and speakers of the reverb. It also will inherently produce more heat due to the XR2 strapped on your face. I would certainly expect comfort to be improved over the quest, it looks much slimmer which will help substantially by giving less leverage off your face even before you account for it being lighter. It does however start from a disadvantage in that respect relative to PCVR headsets, so they’d have to achieve a lot more to get it to the same level... perhaps they can manage it. The OG rift was just so much lighter and more comfortable than my quest though, I can’t imagine them making up that much ground in one iteration, but happy to be proved wrong!

Edit - just watched tested’s review, I don’t need to eat my socks. Phew.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom