HP Reverb G2 uk release date?

Associate
"from the headset a cable travels 5 meters to a little box. that box has two 1 meter cables that come out of it (displayport and USB). that little box also has power input, you will use a 45W notebook charger that comes in the box, plug that into the wall and the barrel end into the little box."

That answers my question as to how that extra power needed would work.

That's basically the same as the Vive.

Soldato
Nice.

Roll on November, an early birthday present. Hopefully there's somebody in the know with gamming VR present at the summit in a few days time that's willing to post up online.

Soldato
The excitement over the brightness he initially saw coming back is good, gets me hyped for a next level experience. More resolution is obviously great, but there is more to the experience than purely the number of pixels.

His Quest 2 comparison is rubbish though imo - for example costing in the official link cable along with everything else to try and make the point that the price is close to the G2 when you can use cables a fraction of that price or go wireless.

I also think he’s being overly harsh on the Quest 2 without having tried it himself... I share his opinion that the G2 will be a significant step up overall for PCVR but he craps on the Q2 too much for someone that hasn’t even had hands on with it. I feel he’s on a bit of an anti Facebook path and it may be clouding his judgement.

Soldato
The excitement over the brightness he initially saw coming back is good, gets me hyped for a next level experience. More resolution is obviously great, but there is more to the experience than purely the number of pixels.

His Quest 2 comparison is rubbish though imo - for example costing in the official link cable along with everything else to try and make the point that the price is close to the G2 when you can use cables a fraction of that price or go wireless.

I also think he’s being overly harsh on the Quest 2 without having tried it himself... I share his opinion that the G2 will be a significant step up overall for PCVR but he craps on the Q2 too much for someone that hasn’t even had hands on with it. I feel he’s on a bit of an anti Facebook path and it may be clouding his judgement.

Go wireless is really subjective. Even carmack said the wireless experience is not up to standard but for some people it provides value.

Soldato
@aoaaron For me personally it’s not, I probably did 90% of my VR gaming through the WiFi link. Fantastic experience.

Regardless, you don’t need the £90 link cable, nor do you need the 256gb etc. He was on an extremely negative rant about the Q2 without even having used or even held one - for example he claimed the build quality was crap because they dropped the “premium” cloth material... well the G2 has dropped the “premium” cloth material from the G1!

Anyway this isn’t the Q2 thread but this is the first video from him that actually disappointed me. He sounded like an HP salesman upselling the G2 and crapping on competition he hasn’t even seen with some pretty tenuous arguments in places. I actually happen to even agree with a lot of other stuff he said but it was all so unnecessarily negative.

Last edited:
Soldato
The fact Facebook didn't send him a Q2 and now all he posts about Facebook is negative stuff... Well... yeah I don't trust a word this guy says since he bigged up Pimax and that turned out to be complete poo.

Anyhoo, I emailed Amazon Spain to ask for an updated delivery date as HP say they aren't shipping to retailers till end of October and they said "we only issue confirmed dates when we have stock, I can see on the system this is a confirmed date so you should be receiving an email dispatch confirmation shortly", they are adamant they are shipping these out 5-7th October

Soldato
@aoaaron For me personally it’s not, I probably did 90% of my VR gaming through the WiFi link. Fantastic experience.

Regardless, you don’t need the £90 link cable, nor do you need the 256gb etc. He was on an extremely negative rant about the Q2 without even having used or even held one - for example he claimed the build quality was crap because they dropped the “premium” cloth material... well the G2 has dropped the “premium” cloth material from the G1!

Anyway this isn’t the Q2 thread but this is the first video from him that actually disappointed me. He sounded like an HP salesman upselling the G2 and crapping on competition he hasn’t even seen with some pretty tenuous arguments in places. I actually happen to even agree with a lot of other stuff he said but it was all so unnecessarily negative.

the WiFi is ok for some people but as carmack said.. it’s far from perfect but some ppl find value on it

I agree with you MRTV is a g2 salesman at the moment. Honestly I don’t trust him. He convinced me the oculus quest was good and I was thoroughly disappointed

Soldato
the WiFi is ok for some people but as carmack said.. it’s far from perfect but some ppl find value on it

Yeah, I can only get it working right next to my router. Downstairs my 5G signal is spotty (I can't even reliably cast wirelessly from the Quest to my phone).

But when it does work it's amazing.

Associate
MRTV was reviewing the tracking of the Reverb G2's controllers without actually having working versions - his reviews were with the old controllers that he swears work the same way. Although he said that he mentioned that he didn't have working versions, I didn't see it in a video until after I called him out on it (as I was asking why no one was talking about the haptics of the controllers - and avoiding those questions). And then he was having a Reverb G2 video every other day! I am sure he had a 'Can the G2 be used as an effective deterrent against yoghurt?" video lined up, but thankfully decided against it.

I still think it'll be a great headset (if it ever lands), but his reviews were super biased.

Associate
I'm getting tempted to cancel.my preorder. The hype we had as a family for this is waning after waiting for so long. It's now going to drop right at the same time as or PS5 and XsX arrive.

Associate
I'm getting tempted to cancel.my preorder. The hype we had as a family for this is waning after waiting for so long. It's now going to drop right at the same time as or PS5 and XsX arrive.

It's always a Danger when a company builds up so much hype for a product that they don't really have a release schedule for - people get over the hype and review their purchase choices. Not to mention when the company leading the charge in VR (Oculus, despite the problems with that platform) announce, show off and issue a solid release date in less than a month.

I don't believe that they had a real strategy until they started to get a lot of orders (and money) for it. They said that they changed the lenses because they thought they could do better. I don't believe that, I believe they had to change the lenses because of a manufacturing issue. How many reviewers marked it down for the lens quality? None - in fact, it was the thing they all agreed was best in class. If you get that sort of feedback, why would you then delay the release, and design all new lenses? No sense at all.

Anyway - hopefully early November will see us with our new headsets. I'm almost forgotten that I've ordered one, so I'm going to try and put it to the back of my mind until I get the email that it's shipped.

Soldato

Unless you needed the money sharpish I’m not sure why you would cancel even if you decided you didn’t want it?

If you preordered at the £525 discount rate, you can turn around and sell it unopened at rrp without being opportunistic and still make yourself £114 or even more if you do want to take advantage of the shortage. Given preorders made now aren’t arriving until December there will definitely be demand for it.

That said I’m not sure I understand the logic. Neither Xbox nor PS are bringing anything new on the VR front. I personally see very little reason to buy one of the new consoles at the moment (other than just the desire for the shiny new stuff) because the actual next gen games aren’t even really there until next year. The demand is also off the wall, so while they are launching next month unless you already have a confirmed order you aren’t getting one then!

If you said to me the Quest2 had changed your view then that would be more understandable because you can probably get that a couple of weeks earlier for a lot less moolah.

There’s a lot of tech stuff going on at the moment, RTX3000 launches, Zen3, Big Navi, XSX, PS5, quest 2, G2.... I agree it’s quite overwhelming! None of that changes my decision to buy the G2 personally though and in fact the new GPUs reinforce that decision because a 3080 or Big Navi combined with the G2 is going to be a mind blowing gaming experience in my opinion.

Associate
Unless you needed the money sharpish I’m not sure why you would cancel even if you decided you didn’t want it?

If you preordered at the £525 discount rate, you can turn around and sell it unopened at rrp without being opportunistic and still make yourself £114 or even more if you do want to take advantage of the shortage. Given preorders made now aren’t arriving until December there will definitely be demand for it.

That said I’m not sure I understand the logic. Neither Xbox nor PS are bringing anything new on the VR front. I personally see very little reason to buy one of the new consoles at the moment (other than just the desire for the shiny new stuff) because the actual next gen games aren’t even really there until next year. The demand is also off the wall, so while they are launching next month unless you already have a confirmed order you aren’t getting one then!

If you said to me the Quest2 had changed your view then that would be more understandable because you can probably get that a couple of weeks earlier for a lot less moolah.

There’s a lot of tech stuff going on at the moment, RTX3000 launches, Zen3, Big Navi, XSX, PS5, quest 2, G2.... I agree it’s quite overwhelming! None of that changes my decision to buy the G2 personally though and in fact the new GPUs reinforce that decision because a 3080 or Big Navi combined with the G2 is going to be a mind blowing gaming experience in my opinion.

Wot e sed. ^^^

Soldato

Excellent point on the next gen consoles.

TBH I don't see a point of buying any new tech this year. Its all a bit of a mess.

The G2 needs a 3080+ to get the best possible experience IMO.
The 3080 is a weird purchase to make given the shortages, technical issues, gimped VRAM until we see what AMD are offering.
The PS5 only has 2-3 exclusive good games to play at launch, and as we know from Sony consoles, they get better with more silent hardware revisions.
The Q2 will have a 6 month transition period for games to be re-coded for the Q2 to +/- take advantage of the higher resolution screens and 90hz refresh rate which they're going to try and impliment.

Honestly we're all rushing out to be beta testers for new hardware rather than let the dust settle and make informed purchasing decisions.

With the G2 shortages, who is to say buy the time the G2 is readily available from a retailer, Valve don't drop an Index 2.0 headset?

If these products were readily available with no supply chain issue then sure, but the general trend in the tech world these day is a release date is just a paper release and likely there are shortages for the product and waiting list.

I really think tech enthusiasts are like the toilet-roll paper buyers during COVID but on steroids.

Soldato
Saints and Sinners is already upgraded for Quest 2, Superhot has just released that it's upgraded to. Can't imagine it takes much work to get Beat Saber upgraded either... don't think we're looking at 6 months for bigger names to be honest.

Associate

I’m not buying an XsX or PS5 for VR, rather for general gaming. I’m primarily a console gamer. We built our first PC in I dunno, 15 years ish, over the summer which spurred the G2 pre order shortly afterwards as my kids and I are VR curious- particularly for sim racing.

The PC is primarily my 15yo sons, youngest and I will barely get time on it. With new consoles to occupy our time, the G2 is just turning up at the wrong time if I’m honest. That said, I’ll probably keep the pre order, get a VR taste then decide whether to sell it on.

Son wanted to buy a 3080 but that’s just been impossible. Youngest has his preorder in for a PS5 and I’ve got a PS5DE and XsX preordered so we are all good there. As to what to play on them - it’s just like buying a PC graphics card, many existing games will be smoother and hold 4K easier, new games like Watchdogs Legion, Valhalla, and Demons Souls will look next gen enough to justify the purchase. And heck, the PS4 Pro to PS5DE cost me £130 to upgrade. The X1X to XsX was £200 to change. We’ve upgraded three current gen to next gen consoles for less than I paid for the G2 and they absolutely will get much more playtime than the VR headset.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom