hp zr24w and colour

Associate
Over the years, my main monitors have been a transition from an excellent Hyundai Q17 to a very good IPS Philips 200w6cs and now the ZR24w. I was expecting a lot from the zr24w but frankly the philips is better for colour I think.

Not sure how people judge monitors and black levels, but I had both the philips and hp monitors in a dual setup running the same movies and there was more detail in the philips in darker scenes. The hp seemed to blanket a lot of the detail with dark blacks.

I'm going to keep the hp though, it has a good stand and besides, by philips has a horizontal line across the screen now that I can't seem to get rid of.

Bottom line is that I don't think the zr24w is particularly good for watching movies although it must be better than a tn panel. But judging from the tn panels I've seen around, I don't think they are all that bad either.

How do you all find the hp, and are there any suggested colour setups I can try?

Associate
The poor contrast and blacks are annoying me more as time goes on than I thought it would do on the ZR24w.

I've tried to calibrate the screen as best as I can but the results still are not that great.

The poor contrast and blacks and the white glare are the combination of things that make this screen no good for viewing movies which is one of the main things I bought the screen for, that and gaming.

I think i`ll probably use the screen for gaming untill next year and then look out for another screen.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
poor black depth and contrast ratio are a well known issue with the ZR24W, perhaps it's main weakness really. you can help overcome it somewhat if you turn the OSD contrast control up from the default 80 but you will need to calibrate the screen properly to overcome the gamma and washout issues which can arise. see here

Associate
OP
After being with the hp for a few hours, I decided it was not for me and sent it back. Postage back was costly, £28.

All I want is a good monitor that can show decent detail in dark images with good viewing angles. I compared two images side by side with the philips and hp and found that the philips showed more detail where the hp was swamped with black.

In fact, looking at the same image on a dell TN panel (st2410) was better than the hp but the viewing angles are rubbish on that.

So, I am searching again for a good 1920x1200 monitor.

Back
Top Bottom