HP ZR24w vs Dell u2410

Sul

Sul

Associate
Hi

I've been looking at the two monitors - HP ZR24w and Dell U2410 as a replacement for my dying 21 inch monitor. I'd use it for photo editing, web design/dev, standard internet/office work and occasionally gaming. What would you recommend of the two, or maybe others you can suggest that are around the same price range?

Thanks

Associate
I'd go for the zr24w because it saves you quite a bit of £ and is nearly as good

I don't think it saves you that much. The U2410 can be had for quite s bit lower than it's RRP where as the ZR24w can't.

Aside from not having 1:1 pixel mapping I can't see much difference in the two though. I suppose it depends on what your main use is, if gaming I'd go with the HP, if photography or video I'd go with the DELL.

Soldato
Well what if you don't understand what colour gamut is? :)

Tried reading up about it but I just want to know how it would affect me and it's just really confusing.

Colour gamut is basically the range of colours the monitor can display. This is often compared to standard gamuts like the sRGB gamut. These ranges are usually shown in relation to the range of colours the human eye can see.

Usually, the wider the gamut - the better. However, I believe windows has problems dealing with wide-gamut monitors like the Dell U2410 - so people have had issues with the colours on these monitors.

Unless you do a lot of colour sensitive work, then these issues are not likely to matter to you and you can effectively ignore these parts of the review (so long as they don't highlight any major problems). The rest of the review should make sense, however if there is anything you would like me to explain I would be happy to help.

The main benefit that these IPS monitors have is that they use true 8 bit panels. The majority of TN monitors only use 6 bit panels and achieve all the 16.7 million colours by using sub-pixel tricks like dithering. Therefore, the colours on a modern IPS panel look a good deal better than on most TN panels. This isn't to do with the gamut, but the panel used.

Associate
The new ZR24W is the 24-inch variant but this year both the 22-inch and 24-inch comes with an IPS panel. If you can get a Dell U2410 without tinting problems then its probably the best mix of everything. Both monitors come at an attractive price. Dell U2410 had a bezel width of 2 cm, although ZR24W feels a bit more unsteady on its stand than Dell U2410.

Soldato
Colour gamut is basically the range of colours the monitor can display. This is often compared to standard gamuts like the sRGB gamut. These ranges are usually shown in relation to the range of colours the human eye can see.

Usually, the wider the gamut - the better. However, I believe windows has problems dealing with wide-gamut monitors like the Dell U2410 - so people have had issues with the colours on these monitors.

Unless you do a lot of colour sensitive work, then these issues are not likely to matter to you and you can effectively ignore these parts of the review (so long as they don't highlight any major problems). The rest of the review should make sense, however if there is anything you would like me to explain I would be happy to help.

The main benefit that these IPS monitors have is that they use true 8 bit panels. The majority of TN monitors only use 6 bit panels and achieve all the 16.7 million colours by using sub-pixel tricks like dithering. Therefore, the colours on a modern IPS panel look a good deal better than on most TN panels. This isn't to do with the gamut, but the panel used.

Thanks, that helps a bit. Basically, for someone like me who likes IPS panels but only uses my PC for web browsing, watching movies and gaming, the gamut isn't going to make much difference at all.

Thing is, i'd really like HDMI inputs alongside VGA/DVI/Displayport so I guess that means it's almost certainly the U2410.

Back
Top Bottom