1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTC Desire or I-phone, Help pls

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Tablets' started by Matrix, 20 Apr 2010.

1. Matrix

Wise Guy

Hi all

I'm wondering what people would go for given the choice i'm after one or the other. I'm with 02 at the moment and my contract is up at the end of May. I have a Sony W980I but would like a smartphone now.

I'll be using the phone mostly for browsing the web and general phone things.

Camera isn't important to me really.

I know the I-phone has loads of apps but i've read that so dose the desire?

Which one would be best for using the web? and also using things like msn messenger and being able to remote login to my own computer at home?

It seems most companies have a fup of around 1gig is that enough for surfing the web each month?

I'd really appreciate some advice and what people think.

Thank you.

2. iMacMart

Capodecina

Seems to be a fair amount of people that have had an iPhone and now have the desire and think it performs better but there could be lots of personal choice in there too?

I have a 16gb 3Gs and I'm looking to get a desire next from what I have read....

3. osc89er

Wise Guy

The Desire has the superior hardware by a fair margin. The iPhone 3GS will be replaced in June/July (Apple have booked the conference room they have always used to announce iPhones). When the new one comes out the hardware differential may (or may not) swing the other way.

The Android OS on the Desire is the more open and, currently, the more advanced. The iPhone leads with a slicker UI but it doesn't do as much as Android, such as true multitasking.

App stores? Apple has the better support at the moment, especially from the big companies due to their entrenched position (the app store is many years old). The Android app store is in its infancy - it has done something like triple its size in a year - and bigger companies are taking notice now.

The Desire is the better device but it may not be *right* for you - you will want to go play with both phones. That would be pretty hard just now though with many places out of stock for the Desire.

4. ins0mn1ac

Soldato

I'm currently in the same situation, can't decide between either phone. I think I'll hold out till' the next iPhone gen and see where things stand then.

5. admoo

Gangster

If you're considering both of them, then I'd wait till Apple release the new iPhone and see which phone suits you better.

Personally, I went for a Desire. I would never buy an Apple product just because I don't agree with their methods of doing business. And Steve Jobs is a dick :) However, I do agree that they release some good products.

6. CliffyBiro

Caporegime

Going to avoid Apple products like the plague tbh so I'm going with the Desire. Very much doubt that the 4G iPhone will even come close to it.

7G maybe.

7. Begbie

Capodecina

Desire.

8. Matrix

Wise Guy

Thanks for the input so far everyone.

I did read somewhere (thread here i think) That there is a limited amount of space on the Desire to store apps 512mb?

Also does anyone know about being able to use any apps like remote desktop to login to your home pc or elsewhere?

9. CliffyBiro

Caporegime

There's an Orb app that would suit I think.

10. Matrix

Wise Guy

Guess i'll have to ring 02 up soon and see what i can get offered and when they are getting some Desire's in stock .

11. deaglecat

Hitman

The answer is Iphone....

... but not till v4.0.

These things play leapfrog. What is next beyond the desire vs what is to be in iphone 4.0.... tough choice.

12. CliffyBiro

Caporegime

You know this is Apple you're talking about, right?

What handsets have any of the previous models bettered? Handsets that were already years old. I very much doubt the 4G will even come close to the Desire spec.

13. BF-Bert

Wise Guy

If your not desperately needing a new phone now I'd hold off to see what the new iphone is like once its released. It will hopefully be a major update on the current model and will of course include multi tasking...... which isn't so different to android multitasking as many believe.

14. Zaf

Soldato

Desire

15. griffo_001

Wise Guy

Personally I look at it this way:

Ever used a smartphone before? No? iPhone it is then

If you've used an iPhone or other smartphone before then you'll probably get on with Android, but jumping from a "dumb" phone to Android straight away is a BIG leap, there's a lot to take in.

The iPhone will just work

The Desire will allow you to do whatever you want with it (It's much more open in nature)

As above however, I'd wait for June/July.... Or go check out Gizmodo, the "iPhone" they found has been confirmed as the 4GS or whatever it will eventually be called. (Apple emailed, and in true Apple style demanded it back)

16. Johnnytoxic

PermaBanned

The iphone is like a 2year old design+technology.

17. makamiso

Gangster

Good job i saw this thread as i don't have to make one now. I'm in the same situation but my contract runs up at the end of june and i've got the SE Xperia at the moment and think of either upgrading to Iphone, Desire or X10

18. fowler002

Mobster

I don't see the point of all these 'should I get an iphone or ...?' threads, if the person asking wants the iphone they usually ignore the advice given and just get the iphone any way.

but to answer the question, I'd say get the desire.

19. RSR

Sgarrista

Xperia X10 imo!

20. osc89er

Wise Guy

I had this in mind when I was typing out my last post. The iPhone has great mindshare. If you want an iPhone then just get it. If you don't know what you want then go look at Android as well.