HTC Desire or I-phone, Help pls

Soldato
Usual thread then where everyone recommends the phone they have..

As a HTC Desire user, previously a iphone user, I recommend that you don't get a Desire.

The hardware is great, don't get me wrong, but the software really ain't that great. The Android system lacks basic phone capabilities you can find in much older phones.

Of course everyone on here will say that the software will improve over time, but Google's current lack of support doesn't fill me with confidence. By the time you've waited for the software updates, you'll probably be half way through your contact.

Also this lovely handset firmware isn't even approved by Google, meaning all the decent protected applications on the market place won't be available to you. Google no where to be seen on official forums about such issues, so you're left in the dark.

So I recommend either a 3GS or waiting for the next generation of the iphone.

Soldato
Usual thread then where everyone recommends the phone they have..

As a HTC Desire user, previously a iphone user, I recommend that you don't get a Desire.

The hardware is great, don't get me wrong, but the software really ain't that great. The Android system lacks basic phone capabilities you can find in much older phones.

Of course everyone on here will say that the software will improve over time, but Google's current lack of support doesn't fill me with confidence. By the time you've waited for the software updates, you'll probably be half way through your contact.

Also this lovely handset firmware isn't even approved by Google, meaning all the decent protected applications on the market place won't be available to you. Google no where to be seen on official forums about such issues, so you're left in the dark.

So I recommend either a 3GS or waiting for the next generation of the iphone.

are you sure you're not talking about the iphone there(well bar the google support bit, the rest sounds just like the iphone)? ;)

well if you're worried about the google protected apps, get the nexus. or if waiting and looking at what the new iphone has to offer, keep an eye on the new android phones as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
fox the only thing i can think of is some lackings of bluetooth connectivity but the iphones have the exact same issues. dont understand why its never been sorted to be fair!

id take one of the latest android phones over the 3gs anyday of the week. cheaper , higher spec , all the same features and extra ones, OS and apps are not locked down by nazi apple

as for the 'iphone just works' argument well the desire/x10/nexus1 all 'just work' too...

maybe an iphone would hook up better with my macbook but its not an extra 100quid and some missing features worth of connectivity!

Soldato
are you sure you're not talking about the iphone there(well bar the google support bit, the rest sounds just like the iphone)? ;)

well if you're worried about the google protected apps, get the nexus. or if waiting and looking at what the new iphone has to offer, keep an eye on the new android phones as well.

No, I'm definitely talking about the Desire.

I love the unfair slating the iPhone gets on here, sorry but the Android Market place is just a joke in comparison to the Application store.

I have loads of hacked applications on my Desire because I can't get them for free off the market place due to Google not authorising the Desire to use protected applications.

Apple got slated for their pre 3.0 software due to lack of basic features, but people choose to turn a blind eye to android lacking stuff like multi touch pre eclair.

I'm getting constantly annoyed with my desire when I read about applications I want online, saying they're released but I can't install them. Instead I have to search for a hacked version online and **** about mounting my phone blah blah blah.

Buy a Nexus? If there's anything worse than Google's software support, it's their hardware support. Least I can talk to someone at HTC.

Soldato
No, I'm definitely talking about the Desire.

I love the unfair slating the iPhone gets on here, sorry but the Android Market place is just a joke in comparison to the Application store.

I have loads of hacked applications on my Desire because I can't get them for free off the market place due to Google not authorising the Desire to use protected applications.

Apple got slated for their pre 3.0 software due to lack of basic features, but people choose to turn a blind eye to android lacking stuff like multi touch pre eclair.

I'm getting constantly annoyed with my desire when I read about applications I want online, saying they're released but I can't install them. Instead I have to search for a hacked version online and **** about mounting my phone blah blah blah.

Buy a Nexus? If there's anything worse than Google's software support, it's their hardware support. Least I can talk to someone at HTC.
i think you need to stop worrying about useless applications hyped up by the apple spin machine...

seen you mentioning the lack of ebay app previously, why would you even need one ? theres a bloomin ebay mobile site with all the same features. same goes for 1000 of other apps

infact when you have a decent screen resolution you can most often go on the full sites

your moaning over nothing IMO. go have a real moan about lack of multitasking/flash/front facing cam/battery life

Associate
i think you need to stop worrying about useless applications hyped up by the apple spin machine...

seen you mentioning the lack of ebay app previously, why would you even need one ? theres a bloomin ebay mobile site with all the same features. same goes for 1000 of other apps

infact when you have a decent screen resolution you can most often go on the full sites

your moaning over nothing IMO. go have a real moan about lack of multitasking/flash/front facing cam/battery life

What is it with android an multitasking? do you really use it that much? and do you know how android handles multitasking?

It all comes down to personal preference if you like the apple buy it if you like the desire go with it. From my experience the iphone just works and android works just but its certainly got huge potential

Soldato
what are these protected missing apps you keep going on about(I've read about it but never actually ever found out which apps were protected)? also as has been mentioned god knows(I'm not religiuos(sp?) at all but couldn't think of another non-swear phrase(be it explitive or the watered down version)) how many times, the app store has had a large head start on the android market so you can't really compare 'apple' vs 'apple' here(or any other kind of fruit/veg/food/etc, in other words like for like).

you might as well be saying ' I prefer an adult to a child as the reading/writing/spelling/counting/etc ability of the child is a joke compared to the adult' or 'the acceleration of a golf gti(or any hot hatch you care to mention) is a joke compared to a ferrari(or any other sports car)' among millions of other examples.

any way the iphone has its + and - points, just like the desire and any other phone you care to mention.

Soldato
if it wasnt a problem then why add it to the new iphone OS ?

i dont have a problem. was just pointing out real problems rather than making mad statements like android cant do basic phone tasks

Associate
They didn't add it to the new iphone they just allowed 3rd party apps to use it, iphone has always had multitasking for its core apps.

Associate
OP
Personally I look at it this way:

Ever used a smartphone before? No? iPhone it is then

If you've used an iPhone or other smartphone before then you'll probably get on with Android, but jumping from a "dumb" phone to Android straight away is a BIG leap, there's a lot to take in.

The iPhone will just work

The Desire will allow you to do whatever you want with it (It's much more open in nature)

As above however, I'd wait for June/July.... Or go check out Gizmodo, the "iPhone" they found has been confirmed as the 4GS or whatever it will eventually be called. (Apple emailed, and in true Apple style demanded it back)

So does the desire take a lot of setting up then as it seems thats what your saying?

Also the guys that have a desire already is it right about the apps only having limited space to install on the internal memory?

Last edited:
Soldato
Thats a limitation of the Android OS. Possible to get around this by rooting the phone (like jailbreaking the iPhone) until Google release an update to change this and allow Apps to run fro SD card which they are rumoured to be doing....

Also, it doesnt NEED to take a lot of setting up, it just depends on how unique or modified you want the system to be e.g. the widgets, multiple home screens etc etc.

Soldato
So does the desire take a lot of setting up then as it seems thats what your saying?

Also the guys that have a desire already is it right about the apps only having limited space to install on the internal memory?

I don't agree with him personally there, i went from a super crap phone to a Desire and it was easy, worked out of the box. If you're not into technology whatsoever i might agree with him but i don't think anyone on this forum will have a problem with Android, i think that comment is more aimed at older folk :p

Not noticed any problems with app storage and i've installed about 50, sounds like one of those things that's noted in reviews but will never affect you in reality.

Personally i went for the Desire because of the contracts, the phone cost me £90 which is the same as an iphone, but the contract is £20 for 2 years, which compared to the iphone £35 over the same period is a steal. iphone contracts really are a rip off, you're paying an apple tax in reality.

If you already spend over £35 a month on mobiles then it's probably not an issue, but if you don't it's a huge selling point.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I believe the total cost of ownership of the desire is quite a lot better than the iphone which made a big difference when I decided to go for the desire.

Associate
What is it with android an multitasking? do you really use it that much? and do you know how android handles multitasking?

It all comes down to personal preference if you like the apple buy it if you like the desire go with it. From my experience the iphone just works and android works just but its certainly got huge potential

Do you understand how the iphone doesn't do it?

Android: you can run favourite clients for skype, twitter, facebook, IM, browser, text messaging, & streaming music all at the same time. Without being limited to Apple's built-in phone apps. Without being unavailable on IM or Skype at any time.

Iphone: you can run any apple apps (phone, text, browser, music) together plus ONE third party app. You don't get to stream music and be on your favourite twitter/facebook client at the same time.

Associate

I take it you mean you have actually talked to someone at HTC? As they do provide hardware warranty support for the Nexus as they built it.

Back
Top Bottom