HTC Desire or I-phone, Help pls

Soldato
i think you need to stop worrying about useless applications hyped up by the apple spin machine...

seen you mentioning the lack of ebay app previously, why would you even need one ? theres a bloomin ebay mobile site with all the same features. same goes for 1000 of other apps

infact when you have a decent screen resolution you can most often go on the full sites

your moaning over nothing IMO. go have a real moan about lack of multitasking/flash/front facing cam/battery life

Just wrote a massive reply but wouldn't post due to work wifi being crap.

Yet last time I checked, I've owned both handsets and you don't have a Desire at the very least.

These are genuine frustrations from someone who bought the handset sim free from CPW on the day of launch.

There's more than bluetooth control missing by the way. I'll list them when I get back home tonight.

Man of Honour
I like the Desire, it's a nice bit of kit but for me, it just doesn't have the apps and that's an end of it. Obsessing over the hardware specs is pointless if it doesn't have the software to back it up...by a quick count I've used about half a dozen apps since I got up this morning and to my knowledge only half or so have any sort of android equivalent. Until that gets fixed it basically rules it out for me.

Associate
Buy a Nexus? If there's anything worse than Google's software support, it's their hardware support. Least I can talk to someone at HTC.

Nice and informed there ;) I own a Nexus, when it arrived it had a dead pixel :( Got onto HTC not Google, as soon as I'd spotted it, UPS collected it an hour later :o and it was taken to HTC UK, confirmed to be faulty then a new one dispatched. Those 3 days using a 6301 were terrible, but the service will be no better for a Desire ;)

I will conceed the iPhone has HTC beat in that area however..... So long as you don't set off its moisture sensors, which tests showed you could do by cooling the phone down to -10 degrees, nothing more :o

Also, with regards to the set up time, yes it works out the box, but my Nexus has a custom boot screen, custom live wallpapers, custom regular wallpapers plus all the apps, and it takes me a little while to get just so, maybe that's just me?

I like the Desire, it's a nice bit of kit but for me, it just doesn't have the apps and that's an end of it. Obsessing over the hardware specs is pointless if it doesn't have the software to back it up...by a quick count I've used about half a dozen apps since I got up this morning and to my knowledge only half or so have any sort of android equivalent. Until that gets fixed it basically rules it out for me.

What apps, out of interest?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Nice and informed there ;) I own a Nexus, when it arrived it had a dead pixel :( Got onto HTC not Google, as soon as I'd spotted it, UPS collected it an hour later :o and it was taken to HTC UK, confirmed to be faulty then a new one dispatched. Those 3 days using a 6301 were terrible, but the service will be no better for a Desire ;)

I will conceed the iPhone has HTC beat in that area however..... So long as you don't set off its moisture sensors, which tests showed you could do by cooling the phone down to -10 degrees, nothing more :o

Also, with regards to the set up time, yes it works out the box, but my Nexus has a custom boot screen, custom live wallpapers, custom regular wallpapers plus all the apps, and it takes me a little while to get just so, maybe that's just me?

What apps, out of interest?

I'm notably missing eyetv (which streams from my PC to my phone so can catch the news while I have breakfast), Addison lee (which is just lazy I admit as I could call them but it's handy) and the Guardian app (a major miss for me as it occupies my train journey and is far better than trying to navigate the web site on a small screen). I would also say the natwest banking app but it's appallingly bad so I'd miss that less.

I was surprised when I looked that more stuff is now available though (the oyster balance check has made it over, as have ocado and evernote.) but some of what has made it is still not up to the iphone standard (last time I saw it the facebook app, like the blackberry one, wasn't as good and I still haven't seen a decent alternative to the national rail app in terms of both functionality and ease of use).

Soldato
I'm notably missing eyetv (which streams from my PC to my phone so can catch the news while I have breakfast), Addison lee (which is just lazy I admit as I could call them but it's handy) and the Guardian app (a major miss for me as it occupies my train journey and is far better than trying to navigate the web site on a small screen). I would also say the natwest banking app but it's appallingly bad so I'd miss that less.

I was surprised when I looked that more stuff is now available though (the oyster balance check has made it over, as have ocado and evernote.) but some of what has made it is still not up to the iphone standard (last time I saw it the facebook app, like the blackberry one, wasn't as good and I still haven't seen a decent alternative to the national rail app in terms of both functionality and ease of use).
why not just use beebplayer for the news ? although im sure theres some streaming software that someone can recommend

m.guardian.co.uk

natwest offer free mobile banking as in statements and stuff , which is as much as the app does IIRC

national rail also have a mobile site but the app called train times uk is great. just put the stations your most often at in your favourites and its excellent

apps pfffft

Man of Honour
What does that do? Stream TV or just videos? That sounds awesome if it does TV.

GMote does the same job (Music and Videos, not TV :( ) over a WiFi LAN and there are a couple of others that I haven't tried

It needs to be running eyetv on a mac desktop (I don't know if there's a windows version) and it transcodes the input from the tuner to the iphone client. So yes, live TV, you can change channel, tell it to record, full control.

A bit like a slingbox but using software on your PC rather than a dedicated bit of hardware. It's pretty good (and for £3 or so for the app in addition to a tuner I already had it's a bargain).

For transcoding and streaming video to my iphone I use air video, which is excellent (took me ages to find it). Both work nicely over the internet too (though it helps I don't have to mess around with port forwarding for my connection).

Associate
Do you understand how the iphone doesn't do it?

Android: you can run favourite clients for skype, twitter, facebook, IM, browser, text messaging, & streaming music all at the same time. Without being limited to Apple's built-in phone apps. Without being unavailable on IM or Skype at any time.

Iphone: you can run any apple apps (phone, text, browser, music) together plus ONE third party app. You don't get to stream music and be on your favourite twitter/facebook client at the same time.

As it stands at the moment that is correct, but this is part of what Apples OS4 is addressing all be it in a slightly different manner to android.

Associate
As it stands at the moment that is correct, but this is part of what Apples OS4 is addressing all be it in a slightly different manner to android.

IIRC Apple are creating a notification system with 7 triggers which will be able to simulate multitasking by allowing apps to save their state and shut down (in a battery environment, good) and to register against one of the triggers so the app can be woken at appropriate times.

It'll probably quite well for most applications and not at all for a few.

In the meantime the iPhone has always had multitasking but all third party apps were denied access to it. Their decision but you can't expect people like me to buy one if it doesn't do what I want.

Associate
About 4 yrs too late:p but nevermind Apple will market it as the best thing since the invention of a lightbulb:rolleyes::p

You mean like how they invented the pc, the smartphone, the mp3 player (you may better know this function as ipod), cut and paste, tablet computers, the mouse, the window, and of course multitouch.

EDIT: I forgot a couple.

Last edited:
Soldato
iphone for me,

It just works.

I would debate that point, the first time i came into contact with an iphone was the launch 3G model that my wifes dad bought. He's in the states and calls us on skype using his iphone, however he's also a twitter addict and has that set to override other apps, so during every phone call the line would cut off dead for a couple of seconds while he got the latest tweet.

Put me off buying one until they implement multitasking, that's not 'just working'.

Oh and every phone i've bought since 1998 has 'just worked', that argument just smacks of apple propaganda.

Back
Top Bottom