HTC Desire or I-phone, Help pls

Man of Honour
Hmm I have to concede partial defeat here - just had a play with my workmates iphone Guardian app and it is indeed an improvement over using the mobile site, and the national rail app is likewise better than Traintimes UK android equivalent. Fair points!

Both are good at the end of the day, the Desire lives up to it's name and is a lovely piece of hardware. Android is coming along and as I've said, it's leapfrogging competitors at a good rate (though Blackberry OS6 is due soon now). The next iphone will be interesting to see too.

Caporegime
Yeah thats right the iphone needed multitasking a year before it was release :rolleyes:

Well when other inferior phones can do multi tasking easily and it takes crapple 4 yrs to actually get it onto a device as a standard feature...i mean crapple must really think low of their customers to treat them with such contempt.

But anyhow in a few mths we will see what the iphone will bring to the table...it really needs to be something special i think....

Last edited:
Associate
Oh yeah isn't shocking the way Apple force people to buy an iphone and then don't give them something they never said it had. Yet another easily led person trying to justify an irrational hate of Apple.

Its simple if you don't like the iphone dont buy one....... but please stick to facts.

Caporegime
Oh yeah isn't shocking the way Apple force people to buy an iphone and then don't give them something they never said it had. Yet another easily led person trying to justify an irrational hate of Apple.

Its simple if you don't like the iphone dont buy one....... but please stick to facts.

It's the people who claim it's the best phone ever that irk me. I hate Apple due to how they treat their customers. Totally different reasons. :p

Associate
Can't say I'm fussed who makes my phone...... I do have an iphone at the moment tho, but for all the dealings I've had with Apple support they have been excellent. What problems have you had with them?

Associate
Can't say I'm fussed who makes my phone...... I do have an iphone at the moment tho, but for all the dealings I've had with Apple support they have been excellent. What problems have you had with them?

He probably means Apple's policies and business practises rather than the way the front line staff treat you.

Steve Jobs has started a (possibly inadvertant) smear campaign against the Android market.

Apple bought an ad company then made it against the rules to have meaningful ads using any system except the one they own.

Apple will change the rules on the app store without any consideration for the developers who have made their phones and mp3 players a success.

Innocent individuals who get information about Apple products that are never even released are threatened with being litigated into bankruptcy for blogging (read: unaccredited journalism).

Apple use patents for trivial, frivolous things and also things that they did not invent in order to sue competitors into submission - like HTC.

Soldato
funniest thing is that the tap to zoom actually seemed quicker and smoother than the both of them :o:eek:

I'm finding the tap to zoom works better than the pinch to zoom(so much so that I find myself double tapping while using my ipod touch, find that it doesn't zoom in as much as on the desire and I still need to zoom in further), I have an ipod and my dad has the iphone 3g(not compared the 3gs side by side to the iphone 3g to see if the 3gs is indeed faster due to the slightly improved hardware) so am used to both ui's. do find from time to time that the desire is inaccurate when taping a link but also on occassions I do tend to 'click' a link while trying to zoom on the ipod(has happened a few times on hotukdeals website where I've expired a deal by mistake), so it's really swings and round-abouts for me.

I went for the desire as I wanted to try something different, had the htc touch hd('upgraded' to wm 6.5 with a dutty rom) for like 15months and a nokia n73 little under 2years before that.

Caporegime

LOL i know enough facts to put most people off the iphone...in fact many of my friends who had iphones have either switched to the BB or Android.

I dont have an irrational hatred for Apple...i, like skippi90 absolutely loathe the way they treat people ie as if they are stupid and need to be told what is and what isnt allowed on their phones...sure apps wise its great and the iphone is a brilliant multi media device but sadly thats about all the credit i give it for. I mean how many farts apps can you have before you get bored of it...personally id rather have apps that serve some purpose...one of the reasons why i carry a 9700 BB Bold and now i carry an Android which fills the multimedia gap.

Apple are great at support, no doubt about that but when it comes to software they are about as bad as they come...funnily people have an issue with M$ but they arent as bad as apple.

Man of Honour
LOL i know enough facts to put most people off the iphone...in fact many of my friends who had iphones have either switched to the BB or Android.

I dont have an irrational hatred for Apple...i, like skippi90 absolutely loathe the way they treat people ie as if they are stupid and need to be told what is and what isnt allowed on their phones...sure apps wise its great and the iphone is a brilliant multi media device but sadly thats about all the credit i give it for. I mean how many farts apps can you have before you get bored of it...personally id rather have apps that serve some purpose...one of the reasons why i carry a 9700 BB Bold and now i carry an Android which fills the multimedia gap.

Apple are great at support, no doubt about that but when it comes to software they are about as bad as they come...funnily people have an issue with M$ but they arent as bad as apple.

That's because most people don't care, I know exactly how apple operate (extremely impressively, from a business standpoint you can't do anything except admire them) but I don't give a damn because the results are excellent. I have a phone with heaps of apps available, which integrates really nicely with everything else I use and gives me no hassle at all.

They are nasty to the developers, nasty to their partners and nasty to the competition but they've given me a really great, useful device which changed the market entirely when it was new.

If you're starting from scratch today android is as good, but for me I have to compare it to what I have and I'd loose apps I use several times a day if I switched.

I also don't like the assumption that anybody who thinks the iphone is any good is an idiot, maybe you don't like it but obviously the uptake suggests other people do (not just that but they use it, if it was bought on a whim and then people got fed up you wouldn't see the mobile browsing share you do). People who disagree with you aren't wrong, they just have different criteria they judge on.

Associate

You don't seem to know many facts....... iphone is 3 years old so stop harping on about them taking 4 years to do something they never said it would do, secondly at no point did skippi90 refer to how Apple treat their user as stupid.

Show me any large multi national company that does things any different.... its business they are out to make money just like everyone else. No company is squeaky clean.

Associate
OP
Thanks for everyone's input i'll go down to a shop and have a look at both and see which one i like the most though at the moment i have my heart set on a Desire.

Thank you.

Soldato
one thing i do miss from the iphone [1st version] is sound quality

Did it get significantly worse with the 3gs? In comparison to my creative Zen and Sony mp3 players I found the quality noticably inferior. Sound quality on the desire is about the same.

Soldato
Personally I look at it this way:

Ever used a smartphone before? No? iPhone it is then

If you've used an iPhone or other smartphone before then you'll probably get on with Android, but jumping from a "dumb" phone to Android straight away is a BIG leap, there's a lot to take in.

The iPhone will just work

The Desire will allow you to do whatever you want with it (It's much more open in nature)

I wouldn't have said this was the case at all, I went from a Sony Ericsson W910i to a HTC Desire, and I'd picked it up within a couple of hours. It's now configured to my taste, and I've not tested typing speed, but it's pretty damn fast, especially considering I barely ever used to text, so getting used to the touchscreen/smartphone is nothing really.

I went for the desire because I appreciate the extra power and open-ness of it over the app store on the iPhone (which, to be fair, is the main thing going for it). I haven't found myself wanting for anything else from the android market. Fair enough, it can require googling your needs to get the app name, but I've got everything I need now. Games are probably better on the iphone/ipod touch, but of all the games I've seen my friends constantly playing, I can get the same, or sometimes better ones on android.

Don't get me wrong, the iPhone is an excellent product, despite my dislike of apple. I just personally prefer the Desire.

Last edited:
Associate
I wouldn't have said this was the case at all, I went from a Sony Ericsson W910i to a HTC Desire, and I'd picked it up within a couple of hours. It's now configured to my taste, and I've not tested typing speed, but it's pretty damn fast, especially considering I barely ever used to text, so getting used to the touchscreen/smartphone is nothing really.

I went for the desire because I appreciate the extra power and open-ness of it over the app store on the iPhone (which, to be fair, is the main thing going for it). I haven't found myself wanting for anything else from the android market. Fair enough, it can require googling your needs to get the app name, but I've got everything I need now. Games are probably better on the iphone/ipod touch, but of all the games I've seen my friends constantly playing, I can get the same, or sometimes better ones on android.

Don't get me wrong, the iPhone is an excellent product, despite my dislike of apple. I just personally prefer the Desire.

I agree, but I see people buying Desires for the spec reason alone, then complaining about how it isn't to their liking, my first thought about these people was "you're an idiot" but after a while I guess I started to think they might have a point :p

For instance, holding the menu button down anywhere brings up the keyboard, I didn't realise this till I read it online a month after getting my phone :o It's easy to pick up the basics, but 3 months into my Android ownership I'm still learning, but the stuff I'm learning now is signing updates, repackaging widgets to modify them and all that. Keeps me out of trouble :p

As pointed out above maybe my comment wasn't suited to ocuk as, as a generalization, we're not confused by computers or phones :p But for Joe Public I'd stand by that statement

iTunes sync is also a great selling point for the Jesus phone

Back
Top Bottom