HTC experiences OLED shortage, uses LCD screens in new Desires and more phones

Man of Honour
Led backlit tft, tft, lcd etc will all have severe colour distortion at extreme angles, even my NEC 20wgx2 (ips screen) does it at 180 ish degrees at diagonal viewing positions. It's not a fault or concern, just a way to tell if it's an OLED screen.

Caporegime
So I wonder if they announce this as they are switching production or as they are are starting to hit the stores...

Still hoping mine will come tomorrow or Wednesday...

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
That's not an issue with an IPS panel itself, that's the IPS-tinge. There is no colour shift like on a non IPS panel but the tinge will look golden in shade over all black/dark colours.

My Hazro for example shows this but there is no colour shift at all at any angle.

Smaller screens even less so. (iPhone 4 for example).

Man of Honour
Sigh...

I know all about the tinting on IPS panels without the polarizing filter, trust me I've done my research on PC monitors as I've been looking for a decent replacement for my NEC20WGX2 for the past 3 years.

IPS panels are not perfect, like all similar backlit technology they suffer from colour shift at extreme angles even if the colours don't fully invert. Colour shift is a simple test for OLED screen technology, and I'm certainly not saying IPS screens aren't great or that they suffer from colour shift problems.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
And I too have had IPS displays (4 in fact) for many years so know all about them compared to the other technologies.

I can happily confirm that on my current screen there is no colour shift, only the ips tinge at extreme angles, however.

Back
Top Bottom