HTPC + 3D Advice

Associate
Hope someone could offer me some advice on what I need to get a HTPC set up for 3D.

I recently purchased a LG 47LM670T and manage to stream a 3D mkv file to it via built in application Plex.

I want to build a HTPC so that I can stream movies from it but do I need a 3D graphics card to do this? If so, which one can I get that'll fit inside a HTPC?

Any advice would be great.

Associate
OP
Yes I want to connect the HTPC to the TV via HDMI.

Do you need a 3d graphics card to display the 3D image? Or does the TV automatically do the 3D?

Soldato
I don't think you actually need a 3d card for sbs or hsbs or ou rips as the tv does the work of putting the two sides together but if you had a blu ray player in the pc and playing 3d blu rays then I think it would need to support 3D, I have a Nvidia 660.

Associate
OP
Brilliant that makes sense ... I think I was getting confused with SBS/HSBS mkv with 3D Blu Rays.

I can use a PS3 for the 3D Blu Rays and the HTPC for SBS/HSBS.

Thanks!

Soldato
I have the same TV as you.

I use the integrated GPU on my A6 3500 and it plays everything flawlessly including 1080p 3D MKV's on my HTPC. Just make sure your IGPU is up to the task.

If you look on the xbmc forums there's quite a lot of information available to point you in the direction of the minimum hardware requirements for different files etc.

Associate
OP
The TV is awesome Too Tall, well worth the purchase.

I think I was just complicating things so I'm just going to build a HTPC from old i3 parts. Might even use an AMD Nettop for it if it doesn't require much power to run.

Thanks all for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom