Hue Lightstrips on plinth

Associate
Hi all,

We are having a extension built which consists of a new kitchen. I have bought a bunch of Philips Hue light strips which I am planning on using them for plinth lighting.

We are ordering from DIY Kitchens, I want to know the best way on how to fit the strips.. do people put them under the carcass door ? or on the plinth itself? I have seen people buy metal L brackets and stick them on the underside of the cabinets, but not sure if they are needed. The floor tiles are matt finished (not polished).

when people have strip lighting on the plinth... do they normally have problems removing the plinth afterwards due to the strip stuck on it?

Associate
Be careful with strip lighting on the plinth, especially around dishwashers etc, as the plinth is often cut to accommodate the door swinging open, so you need to factor this in as well.

Soldato
Also having just done this, be careful if you decide to get under cabinet lighting (I did this instead of plinth lighting).

The Hue lightstrips are only able to be cut every 33CM or so, which meant they weren't great when I had a 60cm cabinet length to put one under as it was either have a 33CM length or it was too long.

In the end I let the installers use their normal white LED lightstrips they installed, but I attached them to a Hue smart plug, which was luckily a new product that Philips had just released. This just does simple on/off controls, but my motion sensor in the kitchen turns on the overhead Hue GU10 lights + the smart plug so the under cabinet lighting as well :)

Soldato
The normal suggestion of using the upside-down L brackets is so that you can continue running the strip underneath the dishwasher. The bracket essentially holds the strip in place whilst the dishwasher door opens.

As for removal of the plinth, yes i'd guess that would be a little tricky, you'd have to remember to disconnect at a corner or something. Which isn't a massive issue - how often are plinths removed these days.

Soldato
I won't comment on placement but if you need to install some decent lengths then consider buying some high quality non hue RGBW light-strips and connect them via Gledopto controllers. They are 100% Hue compatible and the whole lot will be much cheaper than a pure Hue offering.

Back
Top Bottom