Huel: The Future of Food ..

SPG

SPG

Soldato
More of a, "i wonder what would happen" kinda thing. Stomach is designed for breaking down food step by step, skipping steps i guess limits intake of certain nutrients. I know fibre is released in certain ways from breakdown of food, not sure on the actual specifics of it, fibre vs sugar intake, aka fruit smoothies.

Taking a browse through the ingredients and nutrients, as well as other powder things, (Huel makes protein powders look horrendous, first ingredient being thickener, wut), i imagine you could make up some Huel very cheap. Getting clean powder protein source might be expensive-ish, i haven't looked though. The vitamins can easily be replaced with vitamin tablets. You could get pretty adventurous, and play about with ingredients. Actually, Lentils would be a good addition on a quick scour, i know they come in dried or ready to go tins... And lentils are nice anyway. Nuts are expensive, if you want the low fat ones IIRC. Honey is a good source of natural sweetener, obviously. I suppose the super lazy could just go trail mix, lentils, vit tabs, honey. The lentils can stay in fridge, the rest blended ready to roll. I wouldn't be surprised if you could buy certain sweetners to aid the honey, but then you'd be adding sweetner...

I don't understand why their bars are still terrible though. Decent sport bars are far and few between. Vegan ones are non-existent in shops also.

Or you could just buy some Huel and save yourself a significant amount of trouble to make up your own "special brew" Seriously everyone thinks they have PHD when it comes to food. Your assumption on the gut is wrong by the way. Food gets broken down by enzymes the only thing you are doing reducing the amount of time food resides in the stomach which is why some people still feel hungry as the body is used to volume being in the gut. The chemical process goes on regardless and is passed the same away way, up and out.

Caporegime
@ic1male do you make it up the night before, or just make it up and drink it?

I just blend it and drink it right away, over the course of about an hour. It's this vanilla flavour I'm not keen on so I'm trying to find different ways of making it. Will probably just get 2x chocolate flavour next. Truth be told, I am getting fed up with having Huel for both breakfast and dinner. I think I'll go back to soups and salads for dinner. (Or lunch for you non-northerners!)

Soldato
My routine is 500ml of cold tap water, 100g of Huel, quick shake and drink immediately. I don't see what's not to like I tried blending but for me it made no difference other than making more washing up.

Caporegime
Yeah, I've just got my dinner Huel with 500ml water. To be honest, I can't tell any difference from when I was putting nut milk in. So that saves me a few bob because I won't be buying any more of these milks. I'll just eat the raw nuts instead. :p

Soldato
Well, my Huel order of V3 banana and vanilla arrived Thursday so I've had a change to try them both. I've only been having 2 scoops for lunch but it does properly fill you up. I tried using 50/50 soy milk and water today but didnt really taste any different so I'll just stick to water.

Maybe just placebo but I do feel like i'm lighter on my feet. Not being bogged down by sandwiches and the like whilst trying to work. It just feels "clean".

The banana is quite nice, the vanilla although not disgusting, doesn't really taste of anything. I did put the banana one I made earlier in the freezer for an hour before I had it so maybe that was the game changer?

Caporegime
So what's everybody's choice of flavour? I'm going to try the 3.0 version with extra carbs instead of the Black Edition on my next order. One bag of unsweetened/unflavoured so I can try out the 10 mini booster packs and one bag of something else that is already flavoured. Banana, mint-choc, berry or coffee I need to pick one from. What are your opinions on those flavours?

Man of Honour
Previously didn't like Chocolate, but v3 chocolate is delicious. Usually have Vanilla v3 when I get into the office, and then Chocolate v3 later in the day.

Never got on with Berry, but I'm a big fan of Coffee. Yet to try mint chocolate, if it's anything like the ice cream flavour I'll hate it :p

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Been using Huel Black for 2 weeks now, I honestly cant tell the difference between that and Normal Huel, apart from the Black Vanila is little more bland and slight aftertaste compared to the old Huel. Not bad just different.

Energy levels are the same so going to stick with it i think.

Caporegime
My stomach yesterday. Jeez. I could have powered a biomass reactor with all the hydrogen sulphide I was emitting. Seems to be a fairly common thing on the Huel discussion board as well. Hope it doesn't last too long as it was a bit tricky knowing if it was safe to pass wind, if you catch my drift. :D

Caporegime
Been using Huel Black for 2 weeks now, I honestly cant tell the difference between that and Normal Huel, apart from the Black Vanila is little more bland and slight aftertaste compared to the old Huel. Not bad just different.

Energy levels are the same so going to stick with it i think.

Do you get hungrier quicker without the oats component being in it?

Soldato
Ha, I’m glad someone said coffee as that’s the one I was most curious about. Is it like a Starbucks cold coffee?

You want more opinions but Coffee v2.3 tasted more of instant to me so I've not bought it since.

I always order 1 bag of Vanilla + 1 flavour but so far mostly just Berry or Mint Chocolate. I may try Banana in the next batch. I used to mix 30% Almond milk in v2.3 but v3.0 seems to be better with only water so I'm not mixing now.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Do you get hungrier quicker without the oats component being in it?

I have given it any consideration really, I had one at 9am this morning and just started to feel hungry around 12.30 ish with no snack between if that helps. I guess everyone is different though. I know if i have one in the evening after training around 8ish I will have a few marmite rice cakes with peanut butter on them about 1hr or so after.

Man of Honour
Just realised I can get a further 10% off with student beans! Anyone with an .ac.uk should be able to get this :)

Ha, I’m glad someone said coffee as that’s the one I was most curious about. Is it like a Starbucks cold coffee?

Unfortunately not, I’d be addicted to it if it was :D

Personally thought v2.3 Coffee was like a less intense vanilla with a decent coffee flavour. Unsure if it was a placebo but the fact that it’s actual coffee rather than just flavouring meant it was perfect for mornings.

Back
Top Bottom