Huel: The Future of Food ..

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Yep, i splashed out on it.

It still works out cheaper for my lunch at work compared to anything else.

The Thai curry is spot on and the tomato is ok on its own, adding some hot sauce / Worcestershire sauce elevates massively. So if you get the tomato buy some Tabasco sauce as well.

Strangely the shakes leave me more satisfied i think my feeling full levels is triggered by volume in my gut.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
It improves over time the longer you leave it the better it gets, i use the hot water method. The tomato works well with a little more water but then you want half a baguette to soak up the juice which kinda defeats the object for me :)

I would say its better than pot noodle though, and i quite like a pot noodle :)

(It still has the HUEL after effects....)

Soldato
I like the look of that, think I might try some when my current Huel supplies run low.

What are the after effects I've never had anything even when eating 100% Huel.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Even now i still get the Huels... OMG has something died inside you, thats after having it for lunch more or less every day forbthe past couple of years.

Associate
Is Huel good for weight loss then? Is it the only player in the game or is there competition? Never really looked into it but I am intrigued as I could do with shedding a few pounds.

Might be OT, but for shedding a few pounds I found lowering carb intake to be very effective, essentially keto. I think Huel's angle is more convenience/healthy food than strictly weight loss.

Associate
Might be OT, but for shedding a few pounds I found lowering carb intake to be very effective, essentially keto. I think Huel's angle is more convenience/healthy food than strictly weight loss.

I am a sucker for bread and the likes so could do with cutting that, cheers.

It's good because you have such tight control over the amount of calories you're eating. That and how simple it is and in my opinion it actually tastes nice if you find the right flavour for you...

Sounds good, weight loss is essentially calorie control I guess, I tend to like the plain flavours in shakes as I find the flavoured too artificial or sweet.

Now I need to get over the initial cost and dive in!

Associate
I bought a box of Chocolate and a box of Chocolate Orange Huel Bars with my normal order. I wanted to try them since 3.1 reviews seemed far more positive however you can only order 2 boxes or more. And there's no selection box to try the flavours.

They're physically smaller than I expected. I do prefer the plain chocolate although the smell of the choc orange is great. I've only had a few so far. They are reasonably solid with a bit of a grainy texture to them but not unpleasant. They still got devoured when I was hungry. Didn't notice any ill effects either; stomach was quite happy with them.

The Grenade carb killers are a proper chocolate bar, (mars bar etc.); the Hule bars are not. I do though find there's only a couple flavours of the Grenade's that I actually enjoy and sit well with me.

I think the Huel will do well for a hiking snack etc. They're not coated in chocolate so won't melt the same way but I'm a wee bit worried what will happen when they've been in a freezing rucksack.

Man of Honour
I went on the huel bandwagon several years ago. But I've the past 5/6years I don't see a point where a fuel shake would have added any value over my Normal diet. I love eating and food in general. I can get my 4000 or so calories a day with little issue.

For training recovery I seldom use a protein shake either these days. Though I do have my homemade mix of proteins, and amino acids etc... Should I feel I need it.

For people on the go it's a great solution and I did enjoy it. But my lifestyle has allowed me to just eat food now instead which is far more nutritious than drinking food. There's a lot to be said with the taking a break to eat and actually masticating - the whole physiological and psychological process of eating is actually quite important.

Soldato
When people get wind from Huel doesn't it just mean you previous diet was lacking? It's never effected me.

It's usually just drinking it immediately after mixing that causes the gas, as you swallow loads of air with it. I always leave it to settle for a few hours/overnight so the air gets out of it. No more gas.

Soldato
I saw a v1 bottle (chocolate) recently in my local Sainsbury’s for £2 or £3 iirc so thought I’d give it a go as eating whilst at work is quite problematic due to the pandemic.

The contents were incredibly thick, and I had half a bottle before deciding to take it easy just incase I get a ‘protein farts’...well they came anyway whilst I was on public transport heading home...sorry to those on thr 79 bus through Wembley towards Edgware! :o

Caporegime
Haven't used Huel for months now, I very much agree with @Freefaller 's post above.

But I've decided to try and help my weight loss along with 2x 800 calorie days a week (as in Michael Mosley's Fast 800) so I had another look at Huel tonight. Delighted to see they are now doing the much requested Unsweetened & Unflavoured Black Edition so it doesn't contain that yucky tasting Stevia. I really like the U&U normal so I'm sure this is similar enough.

Soldato
Huel emailed me asking if I would like a taster of the new hot and savoury range. I thought they'd send a couple of small taster size pouches, like a portion each or similar. But no they've sent a complete order of one pouch each, with new scoops and a t-shirt! Just under £40 worth.
I hope they don't charge my card as it certainly was implied it was a gift!

Not back in the office for a bit so it'll have to wait. I'll let you know how I get on.

Back
Top Bottom