Huel: The Future of Food ..

Caporegime
I’ve gone through the four flavours of hot meals I bought

Mexican chilli > Thai green curry > Sweet and sour > Korma

the first two are especially nice as they are a bit spicier. The korma is bland so I won’t be getting that one again.

Caporegime
Thought I'd give this another go (have IBD and previously had strictures but had an operation to remove them so should be better able to handle the fiber now - albeit have got a bit of a flare up on the go at the more so won't start straight away).

Have seen it has been reformulated since I last tried it about 2 years ago (version 2.3) - is the new formula (v3.0) better tasting or kinda the same?

Also last time I just had vanilla packets but you could add some flavouring to them - this time I've got a pack of vanilla and a pack of banana arriving. Do I need to worry about adding anything? I guess I might throw in some grapes or dried fruit etc.. occasionally.

Lastly, what is the deal with huel black - from what I can tell fewer carbs and higher in fat + protein... I dunno if it's perhaps a bit excessive re: the protein, even if a dedicated bodybuilder? Also is the increased fat saturated or unsaturated?

Like it doesn't seem to be aimed at keto fanatics specifically but rather just reduced carbs - but I'm not sure about increasing fat too much unless "good" fats. Granted you need some fat in general but just because stuff high sugar is generally more important to avoid re: keeping your weight in check doesn't necessarily mean that excess fat is necessarily a good idea either... on the other hand I'm obvs not phased about the fat you get from olives/olive oil, avocados etc.. etc..

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Tried the sweet and sour yesterday, not bad not bad at all.

Given up ordering off HUEL direct you can get it cheaper from the BAY + shakers + Tshirts + Cups

I guess people are making money off referrals.

Caporegime
@dowie the fat seems mostly to be medium chain triglycerides from coconut, which is regarded as healthy.

Ah cool, thanks - well I got the regular Huel delivered today (banana and vanilla) will give that a go first and then perhaps take a look at Huel black :)

Given up ordering off HUEL direct you can get it cheaper from the BAY + shakers + Tshirts + Cups

I guess people are making money off referrals.

Some people try one bag and don't like it so perhaps flog the other... could also be students getting the subscription price discount + a further 10% discount for being a student etc.. but that's thin margins still I'd assume.

Soldato
Ah cool, thanks - well I got the regular Huel delivered today (banana and vanilla) will give that a go first and then perhaps take a look at Huel black :)

Some people try one bag and don't like it so perhaps flog the other... could also be students getting the subscription price discount + a further 10% discount for being a student etc.. but that's thin margins still I'd assume.
You also get it cheaper the more you buy. So buy 10 bags plus use a referral and then sell it at a couple of pound profit per back.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Madras for Lunch, colleagues are going to love me :)

Edit

This is really really nice.

Last edited:
Consigliere
Settling for 1 Huel (Black edition) and then a main meal later in the evening. Fruit as a snack inbetween. Curious about the hot ones eg the madras...having a browse now...

Soldato
Started today as a meal replacement for a couple of meals per day. Got to figure out which normal meal I will keep, most likely lunch.

had a shake in the morning got a good solid 4-5 hours out of it surprisingly. Did notice my energy was good the entire way through which was nice.

tried the tomato hot & savoury for lunch just couldn’t swallow any more after about a 1/4 way through. Overly strong tomato taste was making me gag.

Got the madras and Mexican flavours to try yet, hopefully better. Do they do samples at all? As the tomato one is not gonna be touched again.

how are others getting on with the hot and savoury? Any recommendations?

Consigliere
Weird you don't have the option yet EH75 does.

I think I just started a conversation with you. We shall see.

Anyways, Huel I am still going....have a few more helpings to go and may get another bag. We shall see. May see what MyProtein has to offer.

I have used Protein Works for a bit and they offer something similiar but £20 cheaper:

https://www.theproteinworks.com/complete-360-meal-dairy#nutritional.tab

May give this a go. Do love their strawberry and cream flavour.

Last edited:
Pet Northerner
Don
Started today as a meal replacement for a couple of meals per day. Got to figure out which normal meal I will keep, most likely lunch.

had a shake in the morning got a good solid 4-5 hours out of it surprisingly. Did notice my energy was good the entire way through which was nice.

tried the tomato hot & savoury for lunch just couldn’t swallow any more after about a 1/4 way through. Overly strong tomato taste was making me gag.

Got the madras and Mexican flavours to try yet, hopefully better. Do they do samples at all? As the tomato one is not gonna be touched again.

how are others getting on with the hot and savoury? Any recommendations?

I've tried them all and my favs are Madras and Chilli. The tomato / sweet and sour are both quite tomatoey and the thai green has a very strong lemongrass flavour and was the only one I'll struggle to finish the bag with, decent heat in it though.

Caporegime
In a nutshell - the spicier hot & savoury meals are the best. They have the most taste - Mexican Chilli, Thai Green Curry and Madras. I've been saving those for last, just enduring the korma and sweet and sour now which are nearly gone.

Soldato
I've tried them all and my favs are Madras and Chilli. The tomato / sweet and sour are both quite tomatoey and the thai green has a very strong lemongrass flavour and was the only one I'll struggle to finish the bag with, decent heat in it though.
In a nutshell - the spicier hot & savoury meals are the best. They have the most taste - Mexican Chilli, Thai Green Curry and Madras. I've been saving those for last, just enduring the korma and sweet and sour now which are nearly gone.

Cheers, guess ill try the madras next

Back
Top Bottom