Hydraulic disk brakes making horrible noise

Associate
I could do with some advice with my new Whyte Portabello which i've not had much luck with so far.. sorry if I drone on a bit, been a long process getting this bike.

Basically the Tektro Auriga disk brakes are making this noise (not my video but exact same noise):

Both front and back are doing it but front is worse, the whole fork and frame vibrate with light - medium break force and it's really loud!

I bought it about a month ago from a shop near work in Westminster (would rather have bought from shop local to home but had no choice as it was last in the range 'special order' direct from manufacturer). When the shop finally got it delivered they informed me the front fork had a defect (threaded eyelet for mounting mudguard) so I should bring the bike back in a few days to have it swapped out when new fork arrives - fine.
I first noticed the noise quietly developing while riding the 9 miles to work/bike shop to get the fork swapped and I mentioned it to the guy in the shop. When I got it back he said they realigned the brakes and it's all good. I started riding it away and heard the noise coming back again after just a few metres so went back to shop and handed it over again. They said it was probably contaminated brakes and gave it a clean. Rode 9 miles back home and half way back the noise returned :mad::mad:
So bought brake cleaner and tried cleaning everything myself, pads and all, but no luck so now I have to turkey gobble my way 9 miles back to the shop on Monday :(

So anyone have any ideas what the cause might be? How much responsibility do the shop have for making sure this is fixed, especially if it comes to replacing parts? I don't want to fork out money on new rotors or calipers for a brand new bike!

tldr; new bike sounds like a turkey. help?

Associate
Could be contamination but to be fair it doesn't sound that bad. Mine sounds like a wild goose gang-bang on uplift days so I wouldn't worry as long as they are stopping you with enough power.

They are very low end brakes so there not going to be fantastic. You could always invest in some Shimano deore discs or even higher up slx/xt.

Edit - Might also just need more bedding in.

Soldato
could be worse, you dont have Avids :D

seriously though I'd give them a bit more bedding in time. i imagine they've got cheap pads in too. those rotors have a funky pattern of holes, that might account for the odd noise. my "apline" rotors with just round holes make a much more even noise.

uv

uv

Soldato
try putting some copper grease on the back of the pads.

Squealing is to be expected in wet weather, but when it makes that noise in dry weather it's usually down to friction between the pads and the calipers. Copper grease - just a small dab - has fixed it for me on different brakes in the past :)

Associate
OP
I tried bedding in some more on a hill but it didn't seem to make much difference. The rear brake isn't too bad but the front one vibrates the whole fork and makes a sound that causes everyone near by to turn and stare!
It sounds/feels like the pads are skipping on the cut-outs on the rotor. I'm taking it into the shop tomorrow but I doubt they will do much :/

Associate
My tektro draco 2 do exactly the same but only the front and have done since day one of owning the bike, never been a problen but will try some copper grease

Back
Top Bottom