Hyper-V VDI Implementation

Associate
Hi,

I need some clarification for my test lab, I plan to set up a VDI test environment based around MS Hyper-V product. I have worked out I need the following steps to start the process

1. Setting up a domain. (Know how to do this)
2. Configuring a file server (Know how to do this)
3. Configuring a client (Not sure on this as there are different types of virtual machines that I can deploy static/dynamic )
4. Connecting to a client. (Not sure on this, I use Windows thin PC or what do I need???)
5. What else am I missing?

I have read a lot of MS guides and white papers but still a bit lost/confused.

Could someone try and explain step 3 and 4 to me and also what else I am missing.

Thanks

Dazza

Soldato
If you're basing your VDI set-up around Microsoft tech then you will be using RDS as your connection broker. This is the first decision you need to make :) - have a read of this to compare the options;

http://www.brianmadden.com/blogs/ru...emotefx-quest-vworkspace-and-vmware-view.aspx

If going down the pure MS route then you need to get your head around the infrastructure firstly, have a read of this;

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rds/archive...-as-single-server-using-windows-7-guests.aspx

Re #3 - you have 2 options, persistent and non-persistent. Non-Persistent desktops refresh themselves when a user logs off for a defined period. They don't retain settings/user data or personalisation - so you need to look at profile and app presentation to get data back to the user. Persistent desktops do the opposite, they persist user customisation. You need to weigh up your use case for VDI, persistent desktops can be more complex as they have more stringent requirements.

Re #4 - There are numerous options. You can use anything with an RDC client if RDP is the protocol. With that in mind, you could use a standard Windows client providing it's using RDC 6.1 or greater :) Thin PC is just a custom version of Windows 7 stripped down with features removed and is an SA benefit (you avoid having to license another desktop to access your virtual desktop...in some cases!).

Have a read through the links above and feel free to fire any other questions over.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Re #3 - you have 2 options, persistent and non-persistent. Non-Persistent desktops refresh themselves when a user logs off for a defined period. They don't retain settings/user data or personalisation - so you need to look at profile and app presentation to get data back to the user. Persistent desktops do the opposite, they persist user customisation. You need to weigh up your use case for VDI, persistent desktops can be more complex as they have more stringent requirements.

Thread revival!

How do I go about administrating these desktops, do I do it with SCVMM2012? Or can I use another Microsoft tool that I am unaware of. If you could point me at another blog post that would be great!

Thanks

Dazza

Soldato
Thread revival!

How do I go about administrating these desktops, do I do it with SCVMM2012? Or can I use another Microsoft tool that I am unaware of. If you could point me at another blog post that would be great!

Thanks

Dazza

Administering persistent or not persistent desktops? What do you mean administering? remote control?

Back
Top Bottom