Hyperthreading with folding

Associate
Yes its yet another question from Lucifersam
I have a 3.2GHz P4E prescott and was wondering if i should use two clients, would i still get the same type of work units or would it affect how accurate the results were, i have looked around and found conflicting answers cheers

Man of Honour
Soldato
You can run a WU on each logical CPU without problems. Stanford officially discourages it becasue it means that each WU will take longer to complete. However, you can get an extra 20% points increase but using HT to run two at once. Make your decision based on that.

Keep in mind that with 2 WUs running the amount of memory required will scale along with tehe doubled work.

Soldato
Hyperthreading is faster in the long run than a single thread, due to the fact you get 2 wu's at 1.5 times the time it would take to do 1, 1 after the other, so for a single wu its fast but if you are going for a long run it is better, expect a 10-15% boost in output. :)

MGP

MGP

Soldato
But, if you have your PC hyperthreading enabled, yet only allow one Wu at a time, will all or only 1/2 of your CPU's total power get used? Boinc certainly only uses 50% of power so half your CPU goes to waste.

Soldato
MGP said:
But, if you have your PC hyperthreading enabled, yet only allow one Wu at a time, will all or only 1/2 of your CPU's total power get used? Boinc certainly only uses 50% of power so half your CPU goes to waste.
It will show as only 50% in task manager due to the way windows treats HT like dual processors.
I would imagine it's using more like 80% of the chip.

I guess the best way to check is to bench it once with HT and once without HT enabled and see what you get for each

Soldato
hyperthreading is a 'few' extra transistors on a physical core to create a virtual core, to be used, the logical core uses unused parts of the physical core along with a small amount of used parts so it makes the structure more 'efficant'.
So if it says 50% is being used and you have allowed windows to auto level it out then its shouldnt be any slower.
So 50% should be as fast as single core usage even if it split.

Boinc, when i used it ages ago, had an option to allow multi cores so it should use all 100% if you set it up right.

Associate
OP
Ive tried my CPU as suggested with HT on and off using 1 client, seems faster with HT on because when I start using the computer it does not slow down the process due to some of the spare cpu not being used. I think im actually gonna stick to that setup cause using two cleints seems to bump up the core tem (its already crazy 70+ in this heat) and uses more leccy cheers for your help guys

Back
Top Bottom