Hyundai ImageQuest L90D+ 19" TFT

Associate
After having left that as my desktop image, I've started to notice a very small amount of banding, but nothing that would worry me, or that I can notice without staring at it for long periods of time.

Associate
RoboStac, just out of interest, do you have Half Life 2? If so, what does the blurred boot screen look like to you?

Also what contrast and brightness do you run your TFT on (via the menu). Mine is set to Brightness 40 and Contrast 64.

The Nvidia colour correction panel is set to Brightness 88%, Contrast 78% and Gamma 1.00

Associate
Originally posted by Coldwired
RoboStac, just out of interest, do you have Half Life 2? If so, what does the blurred boot screen look like to you?

Also what contrast and brightness do you run your TFT on (via the menu). Mine is set to Brightness 40 and Contrast 64.

The Nvidia colour correction panel is set to Brightness 88%, Contrast 78% and Gamma 1.00

Sounds very dark to me! I have my screen settings to bright - 40 and contrast - 70, then in nvidia colour correction brightness 105%, contrast 100% and gamma 1.00. Makes it pretty much spot on for HL2/CS: Source brightness i've found.

Associate
hmm, changing contrast down to 64 from 81 has produced banding as shown in your jpeg.

All my settings are default in the ati colour panel.

Associate
I can't see banding while the contrast is at the setting I have it on now (80) but if I lower it below 75 banding starts to appear and gets worse the more I lower it.

Associate
Ok i've tried a few things and noticed that if you increase the brightness to silly amounts then the banding does get reduced, but you'd have to be wearing a welding mask to use it, heh

I have played with these settings before but for the sake of experimenting I put all the nvidia panel settings to default and tinkered with the monitor settings and then vice versa. It's still there... kinda looks like ripply little colour waves, it's that defined. Was worth a try tho.

I just tried this on a Viewsonic VX912B and although the banding changed it was less then I see here. Funnily enough the guy with the Iiyama dropped the desktop colour down from 32-bit to 16-bit and his still wasn't as bad as my 32-bit. Ah well, this thread has gone on long enough I guess.

Associate
The brightness seems to make very little difference, however the contrast makes a huge difference. In changing from 81 to 64, a lot of banding appears, that was barely noticeable with 81 contrast.

Associate
Hyundai Imagequest L90D+ dead pixels

Guys, with regards to the problem of dead pixels, it appears that it is a common problem with most TFT manufacturers. According to the
warranty agreement customer should accept two dead pixels (either black, bright, red, green, or blue). If there is a third dead pixel customer gets a new display.

At Hyundai this is actually interpreted quite loosely for customer's benefit - normally there can be three dead RGB pixels or two black or white pixels.

Associate
hello, just recieved my L90D+, and here are the results of a comparison with the Sony 21" E500 CRT that it is replacing.

When I unpacked it I plugged it into my laptop (rage mobility soemthing or other) to look for dead pixels. 1 present, wouldn't massage back to life.

Checked it against the banding jpeg from the post above: yes I could see the banding.

Changed to 16 bit (still on laptop): horrific banding - if you are seeing banding this bad you have set up something wrong!

Moved it to the PC (ATI X800 Pro), plugged it straight into the DVI output with the Sony still on the VGA output: a little bit of banding., big improvement over the laptop.

BUT I can see banding on the CRT too!

Switched to 16 bit, same results on both CRT and TFT: very ugly.

back to 32-bit, install the Hyudai drivers (as opposed to plug and play) and the color profile. To do this I have to change to multi monitor, eg the TFT as monitor 1, and the : hmm banding., worse than before, but still no where near 16 bit ugliness.

I tired to roll back the drivers, but now XP and the catalyst drivers are playing tricks, and don't agree with each others settings!

So at the moment my opinion on banding is:

it's dependent on settings for your settings and drivers for both the monitor and graphics cards. SOme people will percieve it more than others. It is present on good quality CRT's if the settings are right (or should that be wrong?)

If you are into digital photography, you may have seen many comments about the right screen 'temperature'. Most people have their screens set incorrectly, too bright being the common fault. Photographers tend to set their screen for 5000K (degrees Kelvin), Videographers often use 6500K, and gamers use the standard (CRT) setting of 9300k (equivalent to flourescent lights). At 9300K the banding in that gradient should be visible on a CRT.

At this time I have no idea how to set the temperature of my TFT, but this link indicates that the cd/sq m is the measure to use. 110 for photos, maybe 200 for gaming. The L90D+ is capable of 300 apparently: compare this to 80 or 100 cd/sq.m of a CRT.

Associate
Thanks for that bushe, good test. Interesting about the variation between laptop and PC. The 16-bit is definitely worse as you'd expect but 32-bit for me is now not as bad due to increasing the brightness and contrast. However I think I agree with you about having the settings too high so I've struck a balance and will live with it.

Oddly I tried uninstalling the Omega drivers and then installing the new Forceware 71.20's and since then I have noticed that Photoshop now says about a defective colour profile and there is red edging to all text, like I had from the beginning. I dont know what has caused that again.... but I am going to reinstall in a bit anyway so I'll wait to see what happens.

Not sure why this tft doesn't have colour controls in the menu. I thought it was due to it being in dvi mode but then i could have sworn i saw a review of a tft in dvi and they were changing the colour temps. Maybe i'm mistaken.

Cheers for the link, I'll check that out.

Associate
the colour controls ARE there, if you use the analog input!

I guess for DVI then the adjustments are made in the graphics drivers, or the applications. I'm going to research calibrating tfts later (when the kids liet me...), unless anyone already can add some info.

Associate
Hm, argh... PC just hung, and when I rebooted the DVI input of my screen no longer works! Plug the analog input into the same DVI output of my gfx card and it works fine, so its not the card... Don't have another DVI cable to test with incase its the cable that broke... otherwise its the screen, argh! :|

Associate
that's not so good... mind you i cant get the analogue connection to work either! I've tried all kinds of things but the screen just doesn't come on. Hopefully it's not the 6800 that's borked.... actually i hope it IS the 6800 as it will be far less hassle sending that back :)

Associate
been away on work. just got back.

After fiddling with the drivers and settings I now seem to have almost eliminated the banding, though there is still three bands on that jpg ( on the tft but not on the CRT anymore)

I uninstalled the L90 drivers and went back to generic driver, reasoning the cd drivers where much older than the monitor anyway. discovered that ati control centre and xp disagree on the matter of settings, so at all times after this I made sure I set everything in both, to make sure they were in sync.

I also found I couldn't get the crt and tft to show the same screen anymore, so to change drivers I had to extend the windows desktop to the tft to change the settings on it.

Oncer i got the tft set as the primary monitor and started up photoshop, I got the message about the wrong color profile. I clicked ignore and opend the jpg in photoshop: lots of banding, plus some ugly yellow smudging! so I closed photoshop and ran adobes utility to create a profile. this showed the monitor is really bright! anyway, after the utility saved the profile and then applied it in xp display settings. I also updated the crt profile. odd thing was now I had b anding in the jpg (in the xp picture preview) again, but after a reboot it went away.

so every thing is pretty good now.

Associate
Thanks for that Bushe. I'll try the colour profile util in Photoshop and see what happens.

I've just reinstalled Windows due to new mobo and drive and for some reason I have the red edging on text again. I'm not sure what this is down to but its a bit frustrating as I know it wasn't always like that. It's almost like the convergence is not quite right, if it was like my old CRT on analogue.

Back
Top Bottom