I before E except after...

Soldato
Welshy said:
It always annoyed me as a kid when the teachers used to say there's a vowel in every word, when there isnt a vowel in Rythm :confused:

Actually there is a vowel, "y" is a semi-vowel, depending on circumstance it's either a vowel or consonant, which of course makes your teachers correct, an English word must have a vowel in it. The reason? Vowels are the sounds your voice box creates, consonants are the manipulations of the base sounds through various means, such as tongue placement/movement and the shape of your mouth. Without vowels you'd just be creating funny facial expressions :D

I love studying languages :D

Soldato
Basher said:
How about psst ? it's in the OED!

Meh, I refuse to accept that as a word, it's a sound and thus impossible to spell :p :D

Edit: Thinking about it, that word doesnt originate from the voice box, that can be my defense! :D

Soldato
The I before E except after C rule can hardly be called a rule since there are probably more exceptions to it than there are words that fit it. The english language is probably the most inconsistent language in the world.

Soldato
Most annoying word for me used to be Gaol... When I was a kid I used to read Biggles... well actually think read all of them. And got really really confused as I had only ever seen the american spelling.

Zip

Zip

Soldato
Welshy said:
It always annoyed me as a kid when the teachers used to say there's a vowel in every word, when there isnt a vowel in Rythm :confused:

Y is a Vowel Substitute ;)

Vowel is funny, if read like it looks its sounds Vo-Well

Soldato
Stretch said:
This "rule" is becoming more worthless by the minute.

English isn't about rules. It's about learning each and every word parrot fashion. Which is why I never bothered :p

well that makes no sense at all. The whole backbone of the English language is grammar and without it your sentences will just be a long string of words you learnt parrot fashion - which is hardly using the language, rather just repeating sounds.

Back
Top Bottom