I believe this PSU is suitable, can those in the know confirm?

Associate
Good day to all.

I am putting together a PC for a friend made from parts I have had from a previous PC due to them having PC troubles and cant afford a new one atm. The only other component I need to buy is the PSU, the parts that are going into this miniITX build are as follows:

Case - Cooler Master Elite 130
Motherboard - MSI Z97I Gaming ACK MiniITX
CPU - i5 4690K
CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X31
GFX - ASUS Radeon RX560 4GB
RAM - Corsair Vengence Pro 16GB
Storage - Crucial MX500 500GB SSD

Now thanks to a certain website that I can pick parts from, which I am usure if can be named or not so will leave that out, this system supposedly draws 251w which seems a little under? It is possible its not taking into account the GFX card, which if thats the case I believe its approx 80w/100w extra?

Anyway the PSU I was looking at getting was the Corsair TX550M or the TX650M. The build isnt really for lasting years more of a stop gap until they can afford a newer PC but still want to get a decent PSU.

No additional parts will be installed with the possible exception of the RX560 being upgraded to a 970 they have but even under that assumption, would either of the PSU's I have mentioned above be sufficient for the needs?

Additionally, if anyone else has an alternative suggestion for a PSU in approx £80 range I am open to hearing it.

Thanks for your time!
Adam

Associate
OP
Thats for the recommendation, it looks like a decent unit and I believe SuperFlower are a reputable make?

Can I ask is there something about the corsair unit that is undesirable?

Thanks for the input!

Soldato
Now thanks to a certain website that I can pick parts from, which I am usure if can be named or not so will leave that out, this system supposedly draws 251w which seems a little under
That's run of the mill bloating for selling oversized cheap watts crap PSUs.
RX 560 is max ~100W power draw card:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-560-4gb,5254-14.html
So that config would draw ~200W max and 550W PSU is already more than needed.
And actually 450W would be still large with PSU barely reaching its best efficiency area when PC is fully loaded.

GTX 970 would add max 100W to that, with average card drawing ~70W more than RX 560.
That would be still easily inside easy load for good 550W PSU.

Soldato
While just OK good performance wise, at least Corsair TXM uses quality capacitors with good room for airflow around them.

Golden Green HX is again Super Flower's bait and switch "updated" model with original Golden Green's Chemicons switched to cheap CapXons.
And 12V filtering caps are literally sandwhiched into narrow space between 12V rectifier heatsink and DC-DC board for lower rails.
That's place I wouldn't want to have even top quality capacitors, with heat sources pretty much touching them from both sides and no room for airflow.

Also that fixed cable spaghetti would be likely problem in small ITX case.

Associate
OP
I appreciate everyones input, I due to not needing such high power draws and the 7 year warranty, I opted for the Corsair TX550 which arrived yesterday.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply

Back
Top Bottom