I can't hear audio behind me in video games.

Associate
So I've tested this with both Overwatch and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, both on different distribution platforms (Battle.net and Steam respectively). In games I can't hear audio behind my player character very well. I can just about hear sounds that are right behind me, but It's very faint. I've tried configuring the speakers from stereo to 5.1 and 7.1 surround; I tried updating my audio and graphics drivers; and disabling audio enhancements; and I also tried changing the default format from "24 bit, 48000 Hz (Studio Quality)" to "16 bit, 48000 Hz (DVD Quality)". I have also tried multiple headphones.

The only thing that allows me to hear behind me is turning on Windows Sonic for Headphones. But that really lowers the quality of the sound. This only started happening recently and I can't think of anything I did that would've changed it this way.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Sounds like in some way your games are outputting surround sound and your headphones are only receiving front and side audio information - unfortunately there are so many ways this could be happening including specific soundcard features, options in the soundcard's own control panel software, various Windows options in stock sound settings and device specific sound settings as well as 3rd party software.

What soundcard and/or integrated or DAC are you using? and what headphones i.e. do they connect via USB or 3.5mm stereo jack.

Associate
OP
Sounds like in some way your games are outputting surround sound and your headphones are only receiving front and side audio information - unfortunately there are so many ways this could be happening including specific soundcard features, options in the soundcard's own control panel software, various Windows options in stock sound settings and device specific sound settings as well as 3rd party software.

What soundcard and/or integrated or DAC are you using? and what headphones i.e. do they connect via USB or 3.5mm stereo jack.

Hi. Thanks very much for your reply. I believe my soundcard is integrated in my MSI Z390-A PRO, and my headphones are 3.5 mm jack. I appeared to have fixed the issue though. I re-turned off audio enhancements and changed the audio format to 24 bit 44100 Hz Studio. I believe the format might have changed during a Windows update.

Back
Top Bottom