I can't remember this 90's TV show, can you?

Soldato
Guys,

This is irritating me. I have a vague memory of a TV show that I can't remember much about other than scant bits of the intro.

Here's how I would describe it:
  • Mid to late 90's (I originally thought '97-'99 but might be earlier or later).
  • Either channel 4 or beeb 2
  • Sometime from 6pm onwards (I think it was probably on later) - Though I might be wrong; it might have been geared towards adolescents at an earlier time.
  • Broadcast once, possibly twice per week
  • Quirky alternative series, possibly a drama or sitcom incorporating dark humour or paranormal activity
  • Based in Florida, possibly the Everglades or near there
  • The end of the intro sequence features a woman with an americana 50's look (big hair, neckerchief, flowery dress, possibly wearing an apron, red lipstick, bug-eye shades with red-frames?), with one hand on her hip and the other maybe holding a spatula possibly doing a BBQ?
  • The words Clearwater, Cleanwater, Freshwater, or something similar were either part of the title or featured in the title sequence. I don't want to push the Florida reference too much though as it might just be my brain making that up.
Any suggestions?

Commissario
Nope, sorry.

See description about lady in intro. Pretty sure the one I'm thinking of wasn't a kids programme.
I think I know the one you're talking about, was there was a creepy boy and i can picture a sheriff who is a well known actor but i can't think of his name.

Strong bayou/Cajun accents?

IIRC it was 10pm-ish on C4, I think it ran for 2 maybe 3 seasons before being cancelled.

I may be thinking of something completely different though, as I think C4 had several set in the bayou/swamps between about 94 and 2005 including a sci-fi one that I never seemed to manage to catch.

Last edited:
Don
I think I know the one you're talking about, was there was a creepy boy and i can picture a sheriff who is a well known actor but i can't think of his name.

IIRC it was 10pm-ish on C4, I think it ran for 2 maybe 3 seasons before being cancelled.

I may be thinking of something completely different though, as I think C4 had several set in the bayou/swamps between about 94 and 2005 including a sci-fi one that I never seemed to manage to catch.
That was the thing where the sheriff was the devil (I keep thinking Billy Bob Thornton but I’m not convinced) and a young lad called Caleb who was the anti-Christ or something and he was being fought over by the good side and the cop.

Don
Guys,

This is irritating me. I have a vague memory of a TV show that I can't remember much about other than scant bits of the intro.

Here's how I would describe it:
  • Mid to late 90's (I originally thought '97-'99 but might be earlier or later).
  • Either channel 4 or beeb 2
  • Sometime from 6pm onwards (I think it was probably on later) - Though I might be wrong; it might have been geared towards adolescents at an earlier time.
  • Broadcast once, possibly twice per week
  • Quirky alternative series, possibly a drama or sitcom incorporating dark humour or paranormal activity
  • Based in Florida, possibly the Everglades or near there
  • The end of the intro sequence features a woman with an americana 50's look (big hair, neckerchief, flowery dress, possibly wearing an apron, red lipstick, bug-eye shades with red-frames?), with one hand on her hip and the other maybe holding a spatula possibly doing a BBQ?
  • The words Clearwater, Cleanwater, Freshwater, or something similar were either part of the title or featured in the title sequence. I don't want to push the Florida reference too much though as it might just be my brain making that up.
Any suggestions?
Kinda thinking of Pushing Daisies with Anna Friel for some reason, but I’m not convinced.

Soldato
OP

american gothic maybe?

That was the thing where the sheriff was the devil (I keep thinking Billy Bob Thornton but I’m not convinced) and a young lad called Caleb who was the anti-Christ or something and he was being fought over by the good side and the cop.

Guys, you're getting warmer. No, it wasn't American Gothic but it was that sort of time period and channel 4-esque. I don't think it was dark material, I remember it as being quirky and 'adult'.

Despite American Gothic only lasting one season, it was much more rememberable than the programme I'm thinking of. It must've been a stinker.

Carnivale?

Edit: nope, that was 2003.

No, far too recent and wrong genre.

Kinda thinking of Pushing Daisies with Anna Friel for some reason, but I’m not convinced.

Again, too recent.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Annoyingly I can't find Channel 4's listings for the 90's. The beeb's are available in several locations, and after searching through several months in the late 90's I didn't spot anything. If somebody knows where I could get full historical Channel 4 listings, that would be handy!

Soldato
OP
Last image in the intro featured a retro 50s style lady something a bit like:

500_F_333587275_B7n3N5tBs77NSVcD1afb70eUpVAAP0qQ.jpg

With this type of pose:
SS_Ella_Cherry-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom