I don't believe in tipping.

Man of Honour
Gilly said:
How on earth is it a suggested amount if they're automatically charging you it?

Sod that. I'd actually refuse to go on a cruise with their company down to that.
I really have a genuine problem with it. That's why there are companies like Ocean Village for the likes of us.
Owned by Carnival Cruise Lines (who also own Costa, P&O, Cunard and virtually everyone else) the gratuities are included, you don't have to wear a monkey suit to dinner, and it's very relaxed on board. Still got a British feel though, 'cos it's a P&O ship.

http://www.oceanvillageholidays.co.uk/

Man of Honour
Tipping should not be expected. Tipping is for exceptional service, if its expceptional I'll tip, otherwise not a chance in hell.

Associate
Lopéz said:
I really have a genuine problem with it. That's why there are companies like Ocean Village for the likes of us.
Owned by Carnival Cruise Lines (who also own Costa, P&O, Cunard and virtually everyone else) the gratuities are included, you don't have to wear a monkey suit to dinner, and it's very relaxed on board. Still got a British feel though, 'cos it's a P&O ship.

http://www.oceanvillageholidays.co.uk/

My parents have been away with them, they really enjoyed it. Think they are going on a "proper" cruise this year, monkey suits and tipping all the way.

Man of Honour
P&O would be a good upgrade for them - or, if they enjoyed the freestyle feel of Ocean Village then NCL (Norwegian Cruise Lines - ignore the name, it's mostly Caribbean stuff) would be a good next step.

Sorry for the thread hijack, I'll lurk until someone starts a cruise thread :D

Soldato
I tip everyone and anyone.
If I'm in a club I have to take a load of change because I can't avoid tipping the guy in the toilet.
I always tip delivery guys and taxi drivers and if you ask for money in the street - you 're getting some.

I hate it - just too polite I guess.

Associate
I don't really get tipping.

All it does is create a false economy, as people who would not normally work for such low wages are bringing you your food. If no-one tipped then the standard of service became so poor that people stopped coming out to eat. They would have to hire staff at a reasonable wage, rather than a pittance.

It's not my job to pay the staff, that's the job of the restaurant. I buy the food and the drink.

jonc

Soldato
In foriegn countries its always a must imo to tip, they dont get as much as we do and the money could go a long way for them (once its built up)

A5H

A5H

Permabanned
Some people deserve a tip.
Our taxi driver always gets about a fiver per journey.
He puts on good music and is a nice guy.
On saturday we needed an extra cab as we acquired some more people at a club. He gave us £20 out of his pocket to pay for it. That is awesome.
So I like to think, what goes around comes around. :)

Back
Top Bottom