I don't believe in tipping.

Associate
Oh the bog trolls always wind me up, I can dry my own hands thank you, and I am not giving you a £1 lollypop, I am not buying any food/sweet goods from the toilet area!

Soldato
I love getting tipped, it actually makes the job feel worthwhile for a little while. If it were compulsory it'd take out the satisfaction, and also mean less of an incentive for me to be nice to customers!;)
I'd much rather not get tips, and have every single customer clean up after themselves and their kids. I mean, I'm not talking about a few crumbs, wiping them up is one of the things i get paid for, but when parents just let kids actually throw their food around and get away with it... :mad:

Soldato
panthro said:
I dont mind tipping, but I really really really hate it when it I have it thrown in my face. Especially the last time I went to the USA. People have nerve to ask you where their tip is, and bus drivers have signs saying "gratuity is our way of life".

It's different in the US - their culture is more geared toward tipping, and jobs in those sort of trades (waiting, bar and so on) are paid less, and tips make it up. In the US, most bar staff and waiters/waitresses need the tip to earn enough each week.

It's just different cultures.

Soldato
Abroad, I'll tip because they get peanuts for wages ...... this country, I tip if service etc has been good .. always cash.
There are some bars in the states where you would find it hard to get a second drink if you didn't tip for the first....

Don
As someone said Vegas is appalling for it's tipping culture , a tip is automatically added ( 18% ) in a lot of places unless you state otherwise , at two restaurants last year that came to over £100 each time :mad:

Suspended
Not really. Places that like to think they're expensive tend to have an immigrant sitting in the gents to dry your hands for you and offer you aftershave, mints etc in return for you dropping some gold in to their tip bowl.

Soldato
I tip my hairdresser but thats only becuase I want them to put the effort in when i'm back again and tbh they do a good job for £8, so no change from a tenner is fine. I only tip elsewhere when I feel I really have to as not to lose face :)

I worked on min wage the whole time I was at uni and never got a penny extra, why should someone else just because they work in a restaurant etc?

Soldato
Nozzer said:
Not really. Places that like to think they're expensive tend to have an immigrant sitting in the gents to dry your hands for you and offer you aftershave, mints etc in return for you dropping some gold in to their tip bowl.
They had that in Jumping Jacks in Aberdeen.... I have never seen that before or since. I found it really really strange. Suffice to say I used the toilets on the other side of the bar for the rest of the night (which were so small there wasn't room for any of the weirdness). As for offering sweets in toilets, eeyyyeeww how unpleasant!

Suspended
Muban said:
They had that in Jumping Jacks in Aberdeen.... I have never seen that before or since. I found it really really strange. Suffice to say I used the toilets on the other side of the bar for the rest of the night (which were so small there wasn't room for any of the weirdness). As for offering sweets in toilets, eeyyyeeww how unpleasant!
It's quite common in gents' in larger cities in my experience. The Lloyds local to me has a chap sat in the toilets all night but without aftershave/mints. Work that one out :confused:

Associate
I hate the people in the toilet and will only very rarely tip them. When out at a restaurant i do tip but only if the service was pleasent. When i worked in removals we often got tips at the end of the day which made me feel pretty good about my job, it didn't happen that often, i think it depended on how stressed out the customers were.

Associate
I'll generally tip the pizza delivery guy or the hairdresser, but usually only by the amount that makes up the next whole pound (so I'm a bit stingy, but it's better than nothing). I don't really like it if I get a bill with a 'tip' section to fill in -- makes me feel mean if I don't give anything! I'll tip in a restaurant if I feel I've had a good service.

Going to Egypt last year really opened my eyes -- their economy basically *runs* on tips. Basic wages over there are stupidly low. I'm pretty sure the toilet attendants over there are among the better paid, especially given the number of westerners willing to hand over a dollar or a few Egyptian Pounds for some loo roll!

Soldato
Happens in quite a few clubs here, i also found out that they are not actually endorsed by the clubs here. They just have a verbal agreement in some cases. They keep the toilets clean for the people there, keep trouble out of the toilets and they generally make a mint off people in £1 tips in the process. As the night goes on i'm sure they make more too :p. Personally they do my head in.

Associate
singist said:
Abroad, I'll tip because they get peanuts for wages ...... this country, I tip if service etc has been good .. always cash.
There are some bars in the states where you would find it hard to get a second drink if you didn't tip for the first....
I'd find a different bar :p
But seriously, like some here, I only tip when I think the service has been very good. I find it rude that places expect you to tip whether or not you like it. It's like a tax for going in there!

Luckily i've never been to anywhere that has a bloke in the toilet offering mints or whatever. (I'd find some bloke sat in the corner a bit strange while i'm using the facilities!)

Most food and drink at restaurants is expensive enough as it is, so i'll tip when I like and not before!
/rant off

Back
Top Bottom