I don't believe in tipping.

Soldato
Nozzer said:
It's quite common in gents' in larger cities in my experience. The Lloyds local to me has a chap sat in the toilets all night but without aftershave/mints. Work that one out :confused:

I think you've found the local smackhead? :p

Soldato
I saw a new one the other day in a Toby Carvery in Stoke on Trent, they gave the wireless Chip and Pin terminal to my girlfriend, then stared straight at her while she was entering all her details (including pin! :o).....afterwards I found out that one of the menu options was "tip" then you could enter the amount in pounds you wish to be taken from your card!! while the waitress was staring at her!

Associate
SidewinderINC said:
was that the Char-Bar at port solent?

ive never had a tip added on to the bill when i go there and ive been going there for years!

Char bar, gunwhalf quays. Perhaps it was because there was about 8 of us and they added on a tip for a large party.

Associate
We used to go for an anual Thai meal for christmas, about 15 of us and we would usually end up paying £60 a head which would mean the staff getting a good tip of over £50, but seeing as we are pretty noisy it seems fair.

I dont agree with paying extra for a plate of food to be placed on my table. However if they are very chatty, welcoming then i don't mind giving a bit extra.

We went on a ski holidy to the US a few years ago so had to go through the compulsary tipping which none of us really liked. We went to one chinese restaraunt and worked out the bill, split 16 ways was fun. The owner then came out and asked us if our meal was ok as we had only tipped 5% and it was usual to tip 12% None of us could believe it.

In constrast i was in a small place in New York and the service was brilliant, kept refilling my drink and plates of nibbles so i didnt mind tipping.

mrpink.jpg

^^^^ had the right idea

Soldato
I rarely give tips... Been to the states a few times, and they seem to expect it. But I never gave tips. Once, when I was in the states I got an evil look, as to say - "where is my tip?", I just replied, want a tip, well sorry I'm British the only tip I can give is to get a better paid job. Only did it, as the service was awful. Threw the food at me, and never smiled at me once.

In the UK, I have hardly tipped anyone either. I just don't think I should TBH. When I pay by card, I don't allow the card out of my hand. I follow them to the bar and watch. I then double cross out the tip section on the receipt, but now chip n pin is in, I can pay by card at the table. I still ensure I cross out the tip section.

I get looks sometimes, I don't care. I'm not a tipping man, and I don't think I ever will. I'm not rich enough or like giving my money out as easy as that. I also never hardly give to begging buckets either...

Nah, I'm a sad tight git.. So sue me.. :p

Soldato
Ugley_Matt , I know what you mean about USA - was in New York last week and the first place we went to eat was a all you can eat place, and unlimited free soda - $10 per head.

Were there for a bit, paid $20 bill and as we were leaving the waitress came after us saying "Tip is 4 dollar, tip is 4 dollar" ! Gave her $5 but never went back again...

Soldato
There's a club in newquay that has someone in the gents. I went there once and he looked at me and said "You wash hands now ??" In a real foreignaccent so I replied "No anglais" and walked out after washingmy hands myself, sorry not gonna pay someone a couple of quid for a job I can do myself for free.

I never ever tip anyway, unless I think the person is really deserving of one. They get paid wages. I went to one place and it wasliterally expected. I got the bill the meal for two would cost £40, but they added an extra £5 service charge. The service stank, the meal finally did arrive, 45 minutes after I ordered it, and it was wrong so it took another 20 minutes for them to sort it out. I asked them what the extra £5 was for, they said it was basically a tip I said sorry for the service I had in here I'm not paying it, gave them £40 and left.

Caporegime
Im with Lopez on tipping, only tip when i feel i have received good service or should i say excellent service....but really only tip in restaurants...dont tip taxi drivers or anyone like that.

Associate
I took my wife to this fancy Chinese place for a buffet sunday lunch for her birthday. They had a mandatory 15% service charge but I didnt mind as there were nearly as many staff as customers and they were constantly hovering around refilling empty glasses, taking away plates and giving new ones and they did the serving at the buffet table and all very friendly and for the kind of place it was, the set price of the buffet was very reasonable.

You guys should watch the movie Waiting... its very funny and an eye opener on the resteraunt business in the states.

Last edited:
Soldato
OoOverclockaoO said:
Ugley_Matt , I know what you mean about USA - was in New York last week and the first place we went to eat was a all you can eat place, and unlimited free soda - $10 per head.

Were there for a bit, paid $20 bill and as we were leaving the waitress came after us saying "Tip is 4 dollar, tip is 4 dollar" ! Gave her $5 but never went back again...

lol its still cheap though aint it? eat as much as you can for what £6 and 1.50p tip

Soldato
I don't tip. I used to tip taxi drivers when I was mapped but I've got that under control now, they make enough as it is.

The way I look at it is they chose to do that job, they accepted the wage. I provide a service to customers as well and I don't get tips, I don't expect them either. I'm doing my job, part of which is to be nice and helpful.

Funnily enough me and my girlfriend had this arguement in a restaurant last night. Luckily for the waitress my GF was paying so she got a tip. :p

Associate
Went to a club in NOttingham before christmas, paid about £20 to get in, when it came to the end of the session, around 5 or 6 in the morning, last pit stop beofre going in the cold, the bloke stood infront of the door. Told me i had been in 4 times and not left any tip.

No sweets / after shave, the only think he did was talk on the phone and take the paper towels out of the wall mounted dispenser and leave in little stacks by the sink.

My tip was "MOVE!"

I'll tip only when the service is above what i expected. It drives me crazy that the Missus will tip for anything, becouse she doesn't like it when they make her feel bad.

Best experience ever was we were out for a meal, took over an hour for the food to come, and the service was generally just slow and shoddy.

At the end of the night, we pay the bill, as we are leaving we get one of the waitresses stop me near the door, "it seems you forgot to add a tip"

"No i didn't"

"Most people tip about 10%"

"I tip if the servcie was good, it wasn't"

"How would you feel like working all evening and getting nothing back"

"you get you wage"

"its crap, you should tip me"

I walk back into the restaurent, sit down and demand the manager, she comes out 5 mins latter, I told her about how the service was below average and how rude the waitress was, when i explained my resons. Full refund for the meal and an apology from the waitress.

I tipped the Manager about 20% That was good service.

Permabanned
i'll never tip a taxi driver, hell, they should give us a discount for not throwing up in the back! The rates they charge after midnight are rip off enough.

I occasionaly tip in a restaurant so long as the waiter/waitress at least gives the impression theyre happy serving you, miserable looking scrotes get nothing. If the bill says its pre-added i wont moan, i just wont leave anything.

Always tip the chinese delivery guy since im miles away and he always managed to get it to me piping hot with a smile on his face, and the food is fantastic for a takeaway too.

never tipped a pizza delivery guy, even stopped using the local pizza hut (Chelmsford chelmer village branch) since the service there is a total joke these days, to the point where i saw the chav staff kicking a football about in there once when i went to pick up some food, which was cold.

Back
Top Bottom